All reviews continental breakfast hard boiled eggs bagels nice stay front desk staff main street room was large underground parking mammoth sink winter rates california heater
Reviewed 9 October 2018

I was really looking forward to my stay at the Shilo Inn & Suites in Mammoth Lakes as I had stayed there nine years prior and was truly impressed by the property. Sadly, I was disappointed at my return visit.

I had been so impressed with the Shilo Inn on my first visit that when we found out we’d be showing my wife’s cousins from Norway around California, I booked two rooms here for the Eastern Sierras leg of their tour. One of the things that impressed me about the hotel the first time around their willingness to provide extra touches that added value for the guest. For example, they used to have a popcorn machine in the lobby that guests could access all day; they also kept their juice dispenser (from breakfast service) on all day for their guests. I noticed upon entering the lobby that those amenities were no longer offered. However, the big disappointments came after we checked in.

As we entered our bedroom, we noticed that the artwork over the beds had been taken down; we knew this because there were outlines of the picture frames on the wall, and the picture hangers were still sticking out of the wall! Both the vanity and bathtub faucets were the old single-handle type, and you had to yank the handle out hard on both faucets just to get the water flowing. And, you couldn’t control the rate of flow; it was either a torrent of water or nothing. The Wi-Fi connection was complimentary, but it was so weak it was almost laughable. Neither we nor our cousins in the other room could upload or download documents or photos. The air conditioner was functional, but it was one of those outdated, analog models that didn’t operate with a thermostat so you couldn’t control the temperature. The topper came in the morning when we realized that the curtains had nearly a dozen holes; the morning light shining through those holes was not a welcome sight.

To be fair, the rooms are big, the beds are comfortable and the rooms come with nice touches like a microwave and refrigerator. However, I used to work for a hotel management company, and we would never have sold the room in the condition it was in.

A final disappointment: The last time I was here, I remember thinking that the complimentary breakfast was really generous and satisfying, but this time the breakfast layout was so sparse (with no hot food) and unappetizing that we skipped it and paid for breakfast somewhere else.

I was embarrassed that I recommended the hotel so highly to my foreign guests, but I was mostly sad that such a nice property had regressed to this level. It’s clear the ownership hasn’t been willing to invest in updating or even properly maintaining their asset, probably counting on big profits during the winter ski season when even the most modest motels can charge very high rates to keep carrying them. Ultimately, that will prove to be a short-sighted tactic as you can’t keep disappointing guests, have them looking for alternatives in the future and still hope to prosper. I know it’s highly unlikely that I will ever stay at this Shilo Inn again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2018

Let's start with check-in. I usually stay at Best Western or Alpenhof and they always tell me to unload the car due to bears. This guy didn't say anything despite having 2 8x10 photos of bears on the counter so I asked and he said yeah you should. While unloading the car, I asked 2 others who had checked in and they weren't told anything so I did. Talking about LIABILITY if the bears broke into their cars. 2/ The room had nice LG large screen TVs but they weren't set up to get HD TV so I had to watch every channel in old style blurry view. Are you kidding me? 3/ I noticed that the alarm clock was probably one bought in the 90s as it wasn't a digital one. Come on Shilo. 5/ Free breakfast didn't include any MEAT i.e. sausage or bacon. 6/ While taking all my fishing gear etc... back out to the car, 4 employees were standing at the front desk chatting. Nobody offered to help anybody. It took me 4 trips even using the cart. 7/ While checking out the girl at the front desk was eating and she had her young child with her. 8/ The carpet near the elevator on the 2nd floor was well worn or dirty. 9/ Walls on the 2nd floor needed painting. The whole joint needed a makeover.

Room tip: Sorry I can't but I would request the top floor as the banging from above sounded like a herd of bears.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Long story short. The walls of the halls are scraped and the carpet on the stairs is torn. The curtains are ripped and have holes. My air conditioner was very loud. I was moved to another room that had no pictures on the walls. The hotel is loud. I could hear the conversation in the next room. I had two bottles of conditioner in my room. I went to the desk and asked for shampoo and was told that they were out and a new shipment wouldn’t be in until Friday...today is Tuesday. I should have stayed at Motel 6.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

Upon arrival we were told that out reservation had been cancelled by the hotel manager on duty due to some problem with my credit card used at the time I did the reservation which was done several months ago. No message was sent by the manager to the booking agent, nor to my email or a tfn call even though she had all information to that. She offered us the room we had reserved, of course at a higher rate. It kind of feels like this was the plan from start. Treat the customer bad and earn a few more dollars. Choose a alternate hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Wander814435
Reviewed 21 August 2018

Due to the wildfires in CA I had to cancel my reservation at Shilo, but it was past the Hotel.com time threshold by 45 minutes. I called the Hotel and the manager, Michelle was fantastic and was willing to refund my full reservation because she understood my predicament especially with 3 kids and being from out of state. This was something she didn't have to do but was willing to refund 100%. :)

Date of stay: August 2018