New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Included Breakfast is not Full Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Misled through Expedia website that this hotel has free breakfast which in fact only turns out to be continental which by international standards is not acceptable. I was disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lkiewiet
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We took advantage of our Starwood points to spend 5 nights at the hotel during the first week of April. The hotel is lovely and modern with its western ski resort facade and "hotel contemporary" rooms.

Room: As I am very allergic to cats and dogs, I asked for a non-pet room and was given one that had no trace of allergens at all. We saw quite a few dogs in and around the hotel, but I never once had to use allergy medication. The view from our room was of the front of the hotel, which wasn't bad at all even if I couldn't see the mountains as I had hoped. At times, I felt like a cat mesmerized by the gondolas going back and forth directly in front of us (although not so close they could see into our room).

Our room had full-sized kitchen, a gas fireplace, and a king-sized bed along with a queen-sized pull-out couch, which worked very well for us as we had our 14-year-old son with us. The kitchen was nice to have. We mostly used it to store our breakfast pastries, fruit, and yogurt. It would be very easy to save a ton of money on restaurants by preparing meals in the room (if you wanted to spend your vacation cooking). One funny quirk about our room - the bathroom mirror had a slight concave curve to it that made our reflections look fat. Not exactly what I wanted to see ;)

Staff: Everyone we encountered was pleasant and efficient. No complaints at all. What more can you ask?

Food: We only ate one meal at the hotel which was breakfast in the Whitebark restaurant. It was a fairly typical hotel buffet - decent food, pricey. I didn't see any other places to eat in the hotel.

Transportation: We had a car that we only used twice - once to take an afternoon trip to Mono Lake and once to the Tamarack ski center. Other than that we used Mammoth Lakes' excellent (and free) bus/trolley/gondola system to get everywhere. It has to be the easiest town to get around in that I have ever visited. The Westin also provides free shuttle service but we never needed to use it. Note: The gondola located behind the hotel goes directly to the Canyon Lodge.

Ski Rentals: It would have been very convenient to rent our ski and snowboard equipment at the hotel. In the end though, we decided to rent at the Canyon Lodge so we could leave the equipment there and not have to lug it back to the hotel every day.

Overall, the Westin is a very nice hotel in a great location. The only thing I think would improve it would be a comfortable lobby with a fireplace where guests could lounge, have a drink, and meet others. It is a ski town after all and an apres-ski lodge feeling would be appealing. They did offer free hot chocolate in the afternoon which we appreciated. We would be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Helene
Hercules, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We came here for the weekend and right from the beginning the service was impeccable and attentive. I noticed the clientele was a bit upscale for my taste (being a down home, fairly casual gal) but they treated everyone nicely and I didn't feel the pretentiousness I usually feel
at other upscale hotels. I LOVED our room which had a view of the snow capped mountains and only wished we could've stayed longer. First rate and classy. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wacey
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is my third stay at the Westin Monache Resort in Mammoth. Just thinking about this hotel puts me at ease. Everything about the property makes me happy. The location is perfect. The decor is warm, welcoming and gives the feeling of being in a log home. The service is excellent. Staff is warm, friendly and goes out of their way to help. The property is super clean. The walk to the gondola at the village is a short walk away (the stairs to the villatge are daunting at first, but it's part of the apeal for me now -- a sign of coming home). I don't need to say much about Westin's Heavenly Bed as it sells itself. Food at the hotel is average, but hits the spot if you want to relax and just order room service. I look forward to my next trip to Mammoth and my stay at the Westin. Really. An awesome hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JavC0
ithaca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We moved here from the Mammoth Mountain Inn. What a wonderful change. I would give up the convenience of being on the mountain for the comfort and cleanliness of the Westin. The staff was extremely attentive. The rooms are spacious, clean, well appointed and equipped. The small kitchenette is great. The restaurant is also quite good. The hotel also makes a great effort to provide transportation, especially up to the mountain. We have a car so we did not avail ourselves of the service, but the parking attendants always had our car waiting with 5 minutes warning. The hotel is expensive, but a reasonable value. If I was to return to Mammoth, I look forward to visiting the Westin again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family