“JSL = 5 stars in my book”

Juniper Springs Resort
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 February 2011

We've been staying at Juniper Springs for over a decade now, with nothing but positive experiences as the result of their outstanding staff an attention to details. With the Eagle Express chair accommodating 6 people feet from the lodge, it truly is a ski in-out Resort @ Mammoth Mountain. LUV this Resort :<).

rjw

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

Sounds Great! Thank you for your stay and your feedback. We can't wait to have you as a guest again in the future. Have a wonderful year.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

My family and I stayed out Juniper Springs the week between Christmas and New Years, arguably their busiest time. The hotel was at 100% capacity but we never felt like our needs weren't met. The hotel staff was very attentive and knowledgeable about both the area and the ski resort. You can buy lift tickets and rent ski equipment from inside the resort, which is huge, if you've ever seen the lines at the lodge.
We parked our car in the underground parking lot and never needed to get it out until we checked out. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle that operates everyday and will take you wherever you want to go, although it's on a first come/first serve basis.
All in all, we feel like we had a great first experience in Mammoth, thanks to Juniper Springs.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2011

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I am glad we were able to show you such a good time and accomodate you so efficiently. Please come and see us again. Have a wonderful week.

Reviewed 23 January 2011

Before reading this, understand that I travel to all parts of the country for business and pleasure with approximately 100+ nights booked per year, so I'm no spring chicken when it comes to dealing with the snafus that arise during travel.

We were supposed to be here for the weekend for our anniversary at the Westin Monache, but due to a boiler accident the hotel was shut down and we were relocated to the Juniper Springs Lodge. After reading the diversity of reviews we arrived with reservations and couldn't understand the disparity between so many 1 star and 5 star reviews. Here's our hypothesis:

The rooms here are condos and have individual owners, so there may be a large variance in decor and quality of in-room amenities/comfort, leaving it up to chance on the quality you receive as a non-owner guest. It's a complete gamble. The walls are thin but manageable and you will hear people running back and forth with their ski boots on. I think people give this place high reviews because of its location (ski in/ ski out) which is true so I do have to give them that. Other reviews also pointed out the difficult nature in controlling the temperature which is true. It's either boiling hot or no heater on. Nothing in between. The thermostat controls the gas fire place so when the heater kicks on it's the gas fire place. It's not exactly the romantic fire place we envisioned.

In regards to the beds and the bedding. The beds were fine and after reading reviews about their poor quality linens I didn't want to risk having to deal with the thin nasty fleece type covers and the Westin shipped over their heavenly bedding and pillows for us. That's right. They shipped over bedding just for our room. Sheets, pillows, down comforter and all and it made it so much better. There are no restaurants on property, just a small coffee/snack shop, and the meager room service consists of croissants, cookies, ice cream bars. There is better selection out of the vending machine. The shuttle service here also serves more than 4 other properties so even though it can take you where you want to go in addition to the free public transportation lines, you may have to wait. The westin shuttle is just for the westin and even though we are not staying there this weekend, their shuttle is taking care of us to the airport.

Now if nothing goes wrong and you never have to deal with the staff here, then I can see how the stay will go fine. Their customer service is consistently rated very poor and this is not a hotel so I suppose the expectations should be lower in general. These people manage a property.

There Westin staff made a mistake when communicating check out date for Sunday instead of Monday, which may have been a little easier to deal with had there been a more thorough confirmation of "We have you checking out at this date" which all westin, starwood, and all hotel properties do. I caught the error and spoke to the front desk who was both rude and less than competent. In order to accommodate us, they would have to move rooms as the owner of the unit we were in was coming into town (understandable). When we prodded how this was going to happen, they said check out is at 11, so make sure you have your stuff packed and out of the room and we could check back in after their chick-in time (3 I believe). Now, I don't know about you, but I find it hard to ski, snowshoe, or take scenic snowcat tours with a couple suitcases and miscellaneous other bags in tow.

I wanted to inquire as to what type of room we were going to get because remember all the rooms were different, they told us we couldn't see what the room looked like because it was occupied. They also responded with "It's not our fault that the dates were wrong" and were very unwilling to help. The staff here is poorly trained and even though we never actually stayed at the Westin this weekend, all of the Westin staff that we have interacted with have been very helpful and wanted to make sure we are well taken care of at another property.

Don't be fooled by the management response to each and everyone of these posts. It doesn't help the situation after the fact. We have been in regular verbal communication with the GM of the Westin as well as their responsive staff and things get done right away. Why stay here when you can go to the Westin and know exactly what room you are getting, with top notch customer service. Mr Tom Smith, the GM can contact me about this post but he wasn't interested in talking to us while we were here.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank StandardDancer
Reviewed 22 January 2011

My son and I stayed for four nights at this hotel because I read the snowboarding was great at Mammoth Lakes. We wanted a ski-in/ski-out type resort. The resort is in a beautiful area right below incredible slopes. The accommodations were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Even the studio condo was quite large for 2 people. What impressed me the most was the staff. They were always courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. They helped me when hotels.com messed up my arrangements & offered me a better room with a discounted price. One night my son ordered room service but they were out of one of the ingredients. Instead of just making us re-order they sent up a hot panini sandwich and bottle of champagne~~ at NO charge. The ski instructors were very helpful as well. In four days we didn't meet anyone that wasn't overly friendly and happy to be there doing their job!! I was also impressed by the shuttle driver, Jack, who took us into the town and to area restaurants. He acted as though he was there to just service us! I would return to this hotel anytime. I hear it's even a great place to go in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Nancy G
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2011

This is one of the best reviews yet. Reading it simply lifted my spirits. This is exactly the kind of experience we strive for for every guest. Please come back and stay with us anytime. We would love to have you.

Reviewed 12 January 2011

We started out a bit rough. We checked into a non-smoking room on the 1st floor where it was clear that the prior guests had been smoking. I couldn't tell what was worse, the old smell of smoke or the pine woodsy scent to mask the smoke smell. In any event, the front desk was less than enthusiastic about helping us change rooms. They sent maintenance to try and fix the problem. How are you going to fix that? Anyhow, maintenance agreed, no way to fix a room which smelled like smoke and informed the front desk. We then waited and waited and waited. Not once did the front desk inform us that our room had been changed. Instead I was left waiting with a 6 and 9 year old. It wasn't until a bell captain said that he had been looking for me to change rooms. Neither of the front desk women told me that our room had been changed, even though I was standing at the front desk! Once we changed rooms, we all came to life. We had a fabulous clean and smoke free room on the 3rd floor. It was bright and airy. My husband and I slept in the bedroom and the children slept on the sofa bed. We had to put our big down comforter on the sofa bed because the springs were uncomfortable for the kids but once we did that, they did just fine. We had a perfect sized full kitchen, dishwasher too. We stocked up at Vons in Bishop because we had heard that the Vons in Mammoth is extremely expensive and out of everything. The shower was ok but never got hot. The facility is fabulous. The pool, the jacuzzi....3 of them. The location is great!! Right at the base of Eagle. Staff at the tickets/rental at Eagle are extremely friendly! Despite our rough start, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SaavyTravelers
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2011

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that overall your vacation with us was a success, however, I expect we can do a little bit better for you upon your next visit. Changing rooms to meet your needs is never an issue so be assured that this is a solution we should have executed more efficiently for you. Please call us directly prior to your next arrival and we will be sure to double check your specific room for any smells or comfort issues. Wouldn't want you to miss out this clean mountain air. Happy Martin Luther King day.