All reviews washer and dryer laminate flooring sausage biscuits full kitchen continental breakfast room was clean bagels fruit cup ferry tickets king bed coffee maker the hotel staff national seashore would stay again great place to stay living room marys
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

The Lobby an the room looked very clean but in the room the phone didn’t work,found an empty bottle of whiskey between the mattress and the boxspring, the toilet handle was broken and was hard to flush and to top it all off woke up with a bedbug on my pillow. After giving the bedbug to the front desk we were promptly refunded our money for the room.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Richard B, Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Mr. Mark, we apologize for the discrepancies with your room. We have completely gone through the room, and thankfully, we did not find any more of the bug's, but treated the room any way, to ensure that it will be clear. We go to great lengths to ensure we don't have that problem. As for the other discrepancies, we have given our house keepers more training on looking for items and discrepancies and reporting maintenance issues in a timely manner as not all guests will inform us of issues as they happen. We have corrected all the items you have listed and again apologize for the issues with your room. We hope you had a safe trip home.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

This was my second visit to this property, the first being about 6 years ago.

The Cumberland Island Inn & Suites is one of only several lodging options in Saint Marys, Georgia. This is an exterior-corridor property, and dates from the mid 80s is my guess. I remember in the early 90s this being a franchised property. There are three buildings of guest rooms tucked behind the commercial building where the front desk is.

I will disclose here that I grew up in a family motel business, so I have lots of empathy for the hard work that goes into keeping up a property like this. We have had motels since 1965...they are tough to run and each have very different challenges as well as unique attributes. With that in mind, here are some constructive pros and cons:

Pro - The landscaping is really nice and was being worked on constantly. There is a screened-in pool located at the back of the property along with some nice picnic tables, etc. Everyone I encountered was very friendly and seem eager to please, which means a lot. I thought the rate was extremely low, around $60 per day.

The more negative things - the very first thing you notice here is the smell in the lobby. It smells like stale cigarettes and never dissipated. The lobby itself is very nicely-done and the breakfast area is adjacent. There is also a bar here which was entered from outside the lobby building but appeared to be part of it. The bar reeked of smoke so I'm guessing it comes through the walls. The hand-painted directional signage needs to be replaced with a bigger font. Also some signs on the back of the commercial building would help...there are multiple doors with no signage (other than a taped piece of paper).

A good pressure-washing of the walkways and sidewalks would make this place shine Also, the garbage cans. The breezeways and stairwells really need some cleaning and paint. Also, the fence between one of the buildings and a restaurant building was shabby and you could see all their junk outside and see into the kitchen.

The rooms are pretty nice. The laminate flooring is a great idea, but was worn in places. There is some new furniture in the room such as a nice granite-covered TV stand. The micro-fridge and the free WiFi are appreciated amenities. The bed was very comfortable and the linens felt nice and clean, as did the pillows. The bath towels weren't the best quality. The amenities were nice but I think they could save a little by not offering the 2 face wipes as well as the conditioner.

As I mentioned, everyone was very nice and the landscaping was well-tended. The breakfast was fairly limited but the coffee was great. It's obvious that efforts have been made to improve this property as well. I think it's a "diamond-in-the-rough" that has great additional potential. I consider it to be "under-valued". Even on the interstate $100 rooms are common now...I think there's room for the owners to charge a little more ($75 plus). Also, the right franchise might take this property to the next level.

If you're coming to the area, this is by far the best of two motel choices in Saint Marys, There are also some guest-house and historic-type places in town, too. You're only several miles from the charming downtown and the ferry to fantastic Cumberland Island. The Cumberland Island Inn & Suites is a comfortable, unpretentious place to return to after visiting the area.

Room Tip: I had an interconnecting room and could hear everything my neighbors said.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2018

My husband and I decided just a week before to take this trip, and we couldn't of been more pleased with the room, the employees and the entire trip. Our room was ready and they were helpful with anything we needed, including what to see and where to go. Looking forward to visiting again in the fall.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FRANCES A
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Not a great location but that’s not the hotel’s fault. This place is modern, clean, and a great value: exactly what I wanted. I stayed two nights with a friend, we shared a suite and had one queen bed each. We visited the ruins on Cumberland Island. The check in desk staff are friendly and professional and they serve a delicious FREE breakfast daily! I would stay there again and recommend it.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Richard B, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Thank you for your very kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed our little town, the hotel, the island and we hope that you come back and visit us soon. Have a great and safe summer and a safe trip home.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

Great value hotel; not a charming location, but a lovely pool and trees behind the hotel (ask for a room overlooking it). A friend traveled with us and he stayed in a suite for not much more expense; it had a full kitchen, living room, washer and dryer.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family