All reviews cumberland island historic hotel box lunch second floor balcony step back in time upstairs porch the river picnic lunch great history place to stay rocking chairs ferry ride bagels chain hotel restaurants and shops marys antiques
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

My friend and I were recent guests. I am surprised at the horrible reviews. Our room must have been recently remodeled because it was quite nice. This place is quaint and clean. Owner Gayla was very accommodating. Bartender Lo couldn’t have been nicer or more than willing to share local history and good times. I would recommend this place. It’s not the Ritz but it’s damn sure fun.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Shame on the owners who have totally lost interest in maintaining this historic hotel. I can overlook the disrepair but the place was filthy with mold everywhere and a bad musty smell as well. Would not eat there as tables and counters were dirty and sticky. Stay at one of the local bread and breakfasts.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank daviddX6336VB
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

DONT LET THE PICTURES PULL YOU IN !!!! The smell of the place is TERRIBLE!!! Animal hair everywhere. Staff smoke inside the building! There is mold all through the rooms .. the covers are NASTY!! The rugs floors ragged out, there were hairs in the bathroom and bathtub. When we went downstairs to eat the waitress was smoking a cigarette, while waiting on the table. The neighborhood walking around licking on everyone while they were eating dinner. The covers on the beds were all torn and dirty. The window air conditioner ran and shut off and on during the night. I can say the best thing about the trip was leaving. We contacted the staff about this and they are aware of all these issues.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pcuda
Reviewed 22 May 2018

Room was small but we expected that. Water stains on ceiling, have you heard of kilze paint. Shower was recently remodeled with a new tub, shower tiles, and floor tiles. They then neglected to paint around these wall tiles with all the glue on the edges still showing. More tha half of the floor tiles were broken and half of them had paint on them. A pair of lock pliers was the turn on and off mechanism for the shower. The bathroom in the lobby and for the restaurant was disgusting. I guess one of the urinals started to leak so they put a bucket underneath it. Ok, temporary until fixed right. It obviously has been ther for months as stuff is growing in the bucket. Old ,disgusting mops are stored in there and there is a hole in the door with toilet paper stuck in the hole. Dogs and cats roam the lobby, bar, and restaurant which I’m ok with, but it’s probably the only reason the floor looks half way clean. Harbor view, yes if you can see through the dirt and broken windows.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank guinrad
Reviewed 19 April 2018

I was prepared to like this old hotel from its reviews until I smelled it's mustiness when I walked in the door.

The reception staff was cold but efficient.

Our room was on the second floor and the best thing about it was the river view. We could only open one window and the fresh air was welcome. Otherwise, I was turned off by the dreary hall, junk at the end of it, musty smell and stained bedspread which we immediately had replaced.

I wouldn't have been surprised if there were bedbugs but I only encountered imaginary itches during the evening.

At one point my wife thought she smelled a gas leak and the staff admitted to hearing that complaint before! We kept the window open all night. There was no hairdryer to be found but I suspect they would have produced one if we asked.

St. Mary's is a charming little town and deserves to be better represented by the Riverview.

The establishment has a dive bar on the ground floor and a restaurant on the other side. The colorful bartender regaled us with her aches and pains but she did provide a good pour for each of our drinks. We didn't eat here but opted for the Greek restaurant around the corner which was good.

Thumbs up on the town, thumbs down on the hotel until they undergo a serious facelift.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple