All reviews bath house beautiful hotel springs restaurant hot tub indoor outdoor pool small town hotel restaurant chickasaw nation nice surprise chocolate factory pork chop separate review visitor center cute shops girls weekend national park rooms are great
Reviewed 5 August 2018

Sulphur, Oklahoma is historically rich, but perhaps not the most quaint, restored, and attractive town. So, it’s surprising to suddenly come upon The Artesian and its contiguous properties. The hotel architecture is a flattering nod to the original hotel. Once inside, quality flooring, walls, and furnishings greet your eye. Check in was simple and each of the staff members was friendly and helpful. The layout for the upper floors is spacious, well-appointed, and open. Plush carpet and wood paneling continue to the rooms’ hallways. Our guest room was a west-facing room and was quiet, despite overlooking a very busy street. Our room was clean, comfortable, and had the expected amenities for this price-point. The bed was comfortable and A/C worked great. If I had criticisms, I think the quality of bed linens is a bit underwhelming, the hot water could have been a bit hotter, and the lack of a central staircase means having to wait for one of the two [slow] elevators.
The restaurant had very good food—frankly, a bargain for the quality. Also, the wait staff was friendly, attentive, and accommodating. As with the rest of the property, the furnishings were very nice, apparent care had been taken for cleanliness issues, and the menu provided numerous options. Even the mixed drinks were reasonably priced.
Nearby shops were manned by attentive staff and had the usual price points for the name-brand apparel and gifts. Moreover, there was a large selection of different shops to wander about. There is even a 50’s-themed malt shop, complete with complimentary Bedre chocolates with your order.
The property felt safe, well-cared-for, and relaxing. The nearby springs, lakes, and trails make for entertaining diversions. Those, too, are family-friendly and well-attended.
In all, I highly recommend The Artesian.

Room tip: My room faced west, which was over a busy highway. However, it was quiet and had a view of the little town.
Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Artesian H, Public Relations Manager at The Artesian Hotel, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave such a great review, Eric. We're so glad you found our accommodations pleasing and our staff friendly. We look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed 3 August 2018

My sister, who was turning 40, selected the Artesian for a girls’ getaway weekend and spa trip. Our mother joined us, as well as my sister’s best friend. We stayed Thursday & Friday 7/26 – 27, 2018. Overall, I was a bit disappointed in the experience based on price only. Did we have a bad stay – not at all. I think I was just expecting a little more for our stay based on the price we paid for the basic standard double queen room. (Thur was $149 and Fri $209 – it was disappointing that the only discounts offered were for the casino players club). I can tell you this – the staff are quite accommodating and will do anything they can to make your stay comfortable!!

The drive from OKC is very easy, no more than 1 ½ hours. The location next to the Chickasaw recreation area is fantastic, although we only drove through briefly our last morning. We spent most of our time right on location at the Artesian.

Bottom line at the top - I think most people will enjoy their stay here. It’s clean and the staff are quite helpful. It’s a lovely property in a good location for outdoor exploration. For me, I wish I had not gone with as high as expectations as I did. I’m glad we chose this for a special occasion. The suggested improvements noted are certainly minor, and can be overlooked, but for most, I would think could be a deterrent given the price.

Now, for those who like the details, read on…

HOTEL ITSELF:
As far as the hotel itself goes, it is quite lovely on the outside and really on the inside as well. Lots of seating areas scattered about. The couches are rather low to the ground and so getting up out of them may be harder for some folks, and the cushions are looking a bit tired and misshaped from use. I noticed the faint odor of smoke upon entering the lobby, and as we approached the front desk a little to the left, the smell became stronger as you were closer to the entrance to the casino. All the staff we encountered were very helpful and we appreciated Spencer during our check-in providing good local eatery recommendations.

We were given rooms 207 and 216. We had asked ahead of time to be close together and that one of the rooms be a shower/tub combination. When we checked in, they had given us two of the shower-only rooms, so he had to switch us around a bit. Room 216 overlooked the south, so we saw the Chickasaw visitor center and just beyond the lovely view of the recreation area. Room 207 looked west toward downtown area.

I appreciated the CTS convenience store being right there to grab any essentials or snack items. You could park the car and never leave if that’s what you really wanted to do.

ROOMS
This is where I became a bit disappointed based on the price we paid. There were many inconsistencies between the two “standard double queen” rooms we received. For being only 5 years old, I thought the rooms were looking a bit tired on furnishings and the carpet was dirty and worn in many spots throughout the hotel, including the rooms. The desk chair had many stains on the upholstery – see attached picture. Stains like that are what you expect at a Days Inn, not a nicer hotel like this one.

A few disappointments given the price paid are listed below. While the staff tried to do what they could and made an effort, it just seemed like oversights or disappointments that shouldn’t be experienced for the experience the hotel is advertising.

-There were only two hangers in the wardrobe unit. When I called to report only 2, they said that’s all they put in there. They did bring us a few more upon asking, but that seemed strange to say only 2 are placed in a room. (If they have a theft problem, there are other more secure options to consider.)

-There was no luggage rack. When we requested one, they advised there were no more available. (The other room however had one)

-There was no lid on the toilet seat (in either room.) We all agreed this seemed rather tacky and recommend replacing toilets seats and ensuring they all come with lids. The toilets also seemed rather low to the ground to those in our party.

-Hotel Information/Guide – our room had no binder of information, my sister’s had a nice book with dividers, etc. and details on the property and surrounding area. When I went to the front desk, they weren’t sure if they had any, went in the back, asked someone and came out with a binder. However, upon opening we noticed coloring marks on the inside of the binder, and none of the sectioned dividers were there. Had to just thumb thru the pages to find what we needed. I appreciated the staff effort to get us information, but it was strange receiving a less than professional binder.

-Missing floor lamp/lighting in the room was too dark. In room 216, we luckily had a floor lamp positioned next to the side chair/ottoman, but we still thought it was dark and had to turn on all lights even in the middle of the afternoon. However, room 207 didn’t have a floor lamp, only the two wall lamps above the nightstand.

-Maintenance items (did not report) - Rattling of the air compressor or vent system. There was a constant noise and rattling, which increased when the A/C ran in the fixtures in the bathroom ceiling. The toilet also began “whistling” when it filled up the tank after first night.

AMENITIES
The pool and “bath house”/large heated whirlpool (not quite hot enough to be a hot tub) were quite nice. Again, like some of the lobby seating, cushions in the bath house chairs were worn. I also saw quite a bit of dirt piled up in the corners of the bath house tub. I briefly stepped into the casino to judge the smoke – it was pretty strong even on a Thursday night. It wasn’t what I was there for, but my sister enjoyed a few minutes and drinks down there. Something to pass time after having a couple drinks perhaps, but not for everyone.

DINING
This was definitely a highlight. We enjoyed both breakfast and dinner at The Springs on-site restaurant. All food was very good, served hot and with proper service. And the prices for the meals were quite reasonable considering the restaurant is on a resort property. Prices for drinks at the bar and within the restaurant seemed standard, although apparently the drinks are cheaper in the casino.
I can easily recommend a steak or the pork chop from the dinner menu. We also enjoyed the spinach and artichoke dip and zucchini sticks. Everything sounded so good it was hard to decide. The chocolate turtle mouse desert was quite good too!
Some great breakfast choices for any hunger level, order ala carte if you prefer, or a whole meal. I had decaf coffee and it was hot and fresh. It’s hard to mess up breakfast, and I wish they had more “fancy” jelly options than the standard food service type in plastic packets, but it was fine. My sisters ham and cheddar omelet was cooked perfectly!

SPA
This also was a highlight for us and the main purpose of our visit – a girls’ spa day to celebrate my sister’s birthday. We communicated with Rhonda via email and phone several times ahead. Book in advance, they do fill up. I recommend at minimum 4 weeks in advance. Two of our group did the sole essentials journey package which lasted from noon – 3:30 or so. I chose an 80 minute massage and 30 minute mud foot soak. We were all happy with our treatments. It is a nice spa area, comfortable treatment rooms with the nicest massage tables I’ve encountered with automatic controls for adjusting the angle of your head/shoulder/knee areas, nice electronic lockers and shower area. The pedicure chairs were very plush. My massage therapist was Rhonda and she knew what she was doing. I did wish that she and other therapists were a little quieter in their conversation.
I really enjoyed the aromatherapy steam sauna and dry sauna. I did not use the hot tub area because there were maintenance men working on the lift that day. (Side note, maintenance does become needed from time to time, but would have been nice if those men would have kept their voices down. I could hear them working from my massage room.)
As far as improvements, I wish the lounge actually had full length lounge chairs instead of regular chairs, but they were comfortable. I thought the TV in the lounge could have had a different channel selected, one with spa music. Instead it was basically playing a commercial for the Chickasaw nation. Additionally, I think they should have more variety in the spa music that is playing over the speakers in the treatment rooms and the spa in general. It seemed to loop very quickly.
If I returned, I would definitely get another massage at the Solerinity Spa.

Summary
The Artesian is a nice hotel and getaway spot very close to many larger cities and can give you a relaxing time away. It’s worth a try, but I can’t see this becoming a yearly destination. I would probably stay again, and I don’t hesitate to recommend it, just that it might not be as luxurious as one may expect in a few areas.

Room tip: Room 216 is example of south facing room, toward recreation area
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Artesian H, Public Relations Manager at The Artesian Hotel, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough review! We do hope you'll make plans to come back and visit us again sometime soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2018

The staff here is just simply wonderful. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. It's not just one or two, but everyone. That's a sign of good management if the employees are that happy. Now, the Property. This historic Hotel was rebuilt a few years ago after burning down some years before. It all looks like it was just finished in the last couple of years. Everything very nicely appointed with a lounge area on every floor with comfortable furniture. Public Restrooms on every floor, ice machines and vending machines every floor.. a great sized hot tub and nice indoor/outdoor pool area that's great for lounging with lots of lounging furniture.
The restaurant was great and I'll do a separate review on it. There is a well known Chocolate maker on the property with lot's of delicious chocolates. The hotel puts a couple of bite size pcs of this Chocolate in your room to enjoy.
The beds are sooo comfortable. I'm one who has trouble finding a comfortable be due to old Arthur Itis.. lol but these beds were just great with a good selection of pillow. Bathroom was nice as expected. Room was very clean
I didn't go in the casino much, but was told that everyone in there was just as nice as the house staff.

Looking forward to going back so I can visit the sulphur springs camping and rec area. Drove through it and it was really nice. You will not regret staying at this property. Hope you love it as much as we did.

Date of stay: July 2018
Artesian H, Public Relations Manager at The Artesian Hotel, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Hi Ed, thanks so much for your review! We appreciate all the great feedback!

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

This was my 4th time staying at the Artesian, but the first time to ever stay during the summer. The hotel is still nice, but I have a few recommendations after my stay this weekend.
1. We had the air conditioner on in our room and set us 65 degrees. However, it felt super humid and didnt seem to ever get below maybe 70 or 72 degrees. Room 415.
2. I love the beds at this hotel, but please update the small pillows that go flat as soon as your head lays on them. I really wish I would have brought my own pillows and maybe a fan, as I didnt get much sleep with the uncomfortable pillows and a/c issue.
3. The pools are good, but please bring back or put cushions on the chairs, it's nearly impossible to get comfortable on them and you constantly seem to slide down on the loungers with the uncomfortable bar right in your back.
4. Pool and hot tub towels....the towels are small and thin. For such a nice hotel, you would think a higher quality towel would be used. Also, please put the towels back out where guests can easily access them from pools and hot tubs. Having to get towels from front desk isn't very effective.

Overall we had a good stay, but these were a few things that got my attention this time and had me decrease a star on rating.

The restaurant is still good, but bring back the old carrots...the baby carrots aren't as good. Love the rolls and butter and meatloaf, banana foster French toast!

Dont expect to win at the casino. We haven't ever done well there, but its fun for an hour or two.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for all of this valuable feedback! We will be sure to pass along your concerns to property management.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

We are not gamblers, so we did not stay here because of the casino. We wanted to stay here because of the hotel's history and to spend the day at the Chickasaw Cultural Center. The hotel offers superior rooms - we had a king room - and it has an excellent restaurant. There are also shops built into the hotel's exterior. There really is not much of anything to see and do in the town of Sulfur except spend time at the Chickasaw Cultural Center or gamble in the cadino, but it's a great place to stay if you want to do either.

1  Thank BnCrXplorerz

Bruce, thanks for this review -- we appreciate your feedback.