“Great Indian food for dinner”

Taj Cafe Indian Cuisine
Ranked #5 of 475 Restaurants in Ventura
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 24 August 2016

My wife and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner. We love the variety of flavors in Indian food, and the Taj chefs bring those out wonderfully. The coconut curry was excellent, as were the Tandoori lamb and chicken. And the lentil soup, and the chutneys, and the samasas, and the milk balls and rice pudding. The server brought us several extra treats we didn't -- something with garbanzo beans he said went well with the samasas. And he was right! I love the atmosphere, including the two semi-enclosed tables that allow for more intimate dining. It is on the expensive side, but coupons are available through Restaurant.com. One caveat -- the one time I tried their lunch buffet, I was disappointed.

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

This place was recommended by a friend of mine.. We tried this place out.. It's was good not great. Friendly staff and nice and clean.. Food can be better.. This place is good for anyone who haven't tried Indian food before. Chicken curry was great rest was ok.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

We were very impressed! So much so that we ate there twice on our trip just so we could try different dishes. They have some neat street food choices like the sev puri. Really good. And though the dosa felt a bit thicker then I like, the sambar was the best either of us have ever had! The saag paneer was also one of the best we have had at a restaurant. No cream and really well seasoned with lots of paneer. They have a couple of tables up in the window area with a bunch of plants around. Those seats feel private and cozy. Wonderful. Would really recommend this place!

Reviewed 17 August 2016

We were visiting from the east coast and stayed in Oxnard for the night, and chose this restaurant due good reviews. We were a family of three and chose to have the daily specials for dinner, 1 mirchi chicken and 2 malai kofta. The variety and amount of food recieved in each platter definitely amazed us. The platters came with the main dish(chicken/malai kofta), salad, pulao, dal makhani/veg kurma, raita, and naan. These two daily specials were between $16 and $18 each, and I believe it was worth the price. Plus we received multiple complimentary appetizers-salad, papad, and potato cutlet, and kheer for dessert. The service was awesome, staff were courteous and often checked in on us. The place is beautiful, loved the large painting of the taj mahal on the wall and the other paintings.

Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

I enjoyed the vegetarian dishes of tarka dhal and sag aloo. The plain basmati rice compliments the spices.

I wasn't crazy about the garlic naan and aloo paratha.

I would not order the masala chai again - it had too much milk for my taste.

They brought out a special appetizer (made of potato and lentil) and kheer (milk and rice) for our group. The service was warm and friendly.