“A diamond in the rough”

Taqueria Cuernavaca
Ranked #53 of 457 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 16 December 2015

Looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant? This is the place. From the outside, it doesn't look like much. With seating for roughly 30, this place can get full. Once seated, you get some perfectly salted tortilla chips to snack on. The salsa bar contains a variety of mild to hot salsas, onions, cilantro and other garnishes.

Being from Cuernavaca myself, I wanted to indulge in a dish that represents the town. That dish my friend is the Alambre. A beautiful mixture of ham, chorizo, carne asada, green pepper, onions, and other ingredients. This plate can easily feed two people. Was it good? No. It was FANTASTIC!!

So what are you waiting for? Go! You can thank me later.

"Tienes hambre? Comete un alambre!"

Reviewed 24 October 2015

This small restaurant features a variety of tasty dishes that are atypical for most "North of the Border" Mexican restaurants. The tortillas are homemade. The service was friendly and helpful. It has some vegetarian choices.

Reviewed 19 October 2015 via mobile

We eat here a lot. Neighborhood dining place, authentic food. Many meat dishes, and a great salsa bar. The flan is excellent. I'm a vegetarian, and there are a few things on the menu for me that I love especially Alhambre Vegetariano, and the small tacos with potato or champiñones(mushrooms). Good service from friendly people.

Reviewed 13 September 2015

I went there today. The older woman that took my order acted like she didn't speak any English. I very politely attempted to communicate I wanted pork quesadillas to go. I got pork rind quesadillas (nothing but pork fat, yes, pork rind quesadillas is something they make! - and it looks just as gross as it sounds) and when I brought them back the woman suddenly could speak perfect English and with no lack of attitude told me then in great detail in perfect English there were two types of pork and I had ordered the wrong kind. I don't care that the order was wrong. I thought it was terribly disrespectful for her to pretend she couldn't speak English when clearly she could, and she could have explained the difference in English before I ordered. It was very offensive to me. I surely won't be back. And I have close friends of Latin descent, my mother-in-law came from El Salvador. I enjoy the Latin culture and food, but I must protest this sort of behavior. It's extremely wrong for someone to have a business establishment and treat people this way.

Reviewed 12 September 2015

Good authentic Mexican plates. Large portions. Would have liked a bit more flavor but very fresh. Enjoyed the rolled tacos (flautas) Tacos Alabmre and Birria.