All reviews shoals restaurant lounge chairs santa barbara star view continental breakfast waves crashing restaurant food is hard boiled eggs older place bike path small hotel parking lot nice pool channel islands surf rincon coast
Reviewed 20 July 2017

I' m giving it 4 starts mainly because of the location! Hotel is ok, but a little bit worn out.

Pluses:
All rooms have ocean view.
Nice pool, nice surroundings, very quiet. Sand beach is within a 5 minutes walk.
Nice breakfast with ocean view.
Nice people at the reception.

Minuses:
Worn out property, looks more like a motel. Worn out beach chairs.
Difficult to get there if you are driving from LA (you need to pass that place go further north, make a U-turn, come back.
Restaurant staff (an asian lady) was rude to me

My 1 queen bed room was number 3. It was close to the stairs so there was not much privacy, people were walking in front of my window and the view was partially blocked by the stairs. I think the best rooms are in the middle section of the upper floor.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor middle rooms. They will have the best view and privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank iliveinmexico
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Spent just one night in the most expensive suite which was a two bedroom one bath on floor one number 25. The unit was clean but is certainly old in decor and could use some updating. Not much you can do to change the layout of the building nor would you want to.

This is the only small hotel on beachfront property along this area of the coast. However there is no real access to the beach as the property is fronted by a large barricade of rocks to prevent the tide from coming in towards the hotel. however it is nice to sit in the chairs and gaze out at the ocean. During breakfast, a buffet is included)we viewed several pods of dolphins swimming by including one that surfed in the waves to our delight. Beware of Pesky seagulls who will literally come after your breakfast items if you leave your plate unattended to go back for coffee.

Many people that we met who were staying at the Inn had been coming there for years to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries,and special events etc. the pool is large and appeared to be clean and there weren't many children staying in the inn so it was quiet. Noticed a few ants in the bathroom exploring and also came home with several bug bites that I'm quite sure I got in the room.

My husband had the salmon dinner and I had the pan seared halibut. Both were delicious. Unfortunately the chocolate flourless cake was not available that night,

We particularly enjoyed this location because we are bike riders. We actually arrived at 10 in the morning,parked in the parking lot,and immediately headed off on a three hour biking adventure. by the time we returned we were able to relax by the pool with a cold drink and then our room was available, not much time after that it was dinner time. We would definitely go back and splurge again on one of the oceanview rooms. We were lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves which was clearly a wonderful experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mariposa67
Reviewed 19 July 2017

While the hotel is a bit worn, lunch was awesome! Had a great Angus burger - very fresh and cooked perfectly with fantastic fries. My partner had the grilled chicken sandwich with an awesome pineapple - mango salsa. Interesting combo but perfect fit! We ate outside with a stunning view of the ocean.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Weather, views and sounds are amazing. Almost felt like I wanted to leave the door open. A little dated. Would stay again. A little troublesome to get there and a rocky beach but close enough for me and available pool.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Delia N
Reviewed 5 July 2017

The Ritz Carlton...this is not.
But there’s an upside to this little spot.

I say “little;” only 24 rooms.
But just outside your door, the ocean looms!

The rooms are not large, but they’re comfy and clean
So travel light, but don’t forget the sunscreen

Every room has a front row view of the pacific
And the restaurant food is absolutely terrific

You’ll want to spend most of your time outside
With a view of the surfers, the pier, and the tide.

There’s not much nearby within walking distance
But a bike path runs through this somewhat remote existence

There’s plenty to do just beyond walking limits
Carpinteria, Ventura and Santa Barbara are all within minutes

The freeway is quite close, but it’s not disturbing
But accessing the hotel can be a little perturbing

Coming from the south, or leaving to the north
Both require a little back and forth.

There are no on- or off-ramps from those directions
But if you don’t come and go often, this raises few objections.

As I mentioned before the restaurant is delicious.
Great salads, meats, and pastas, and of course.. the fishes!

Not exactly cheap, but you get all that you pay for –
And if you sit outside, a great view of the seashore.

So all in all, this place gets my recommendation.
Not so much for the room as for the prime location.

An older hotel, but charming and quaint
But for one night or two, you’ll have no complaint!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple