“Not Up to Hampton Standards -- this Property will Surprise you in Negative Ways”

Hampton Inn Cedar City
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Cedar City
Oak Park, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stay at least 25-30 nights annually at Hampton Inns, all across the country. I do so because of the clean, sizable rooms with updated decor, the breakfast, the professional and helpful staff and amenities such as a refrigerator & microwave, pool. Hampton Inns never surprise me: I know what I will get. Until now.
This is the first time in the 4 years that I have used Hampton Inns whenever they are available in the city I am traveling to that I've been surprised. The room, bath and pool are at least 50% smaller than at the average Hampton Inn; there are no amenities such as the refrigerator/microwave; the decor is dated and evocative of a strip-motel; there is a LOT of dust behind the bed and nightstand (indeed, I think dust bunnies were scurrying around the room last night); our key cards inexplicably all stopped working in the middle of our stay; the walls are paper-thin; the staff is either eager but young and unprofessional, or seasoned and surly; and we received no cleaning of our room on our first day. Admittedly, we did not leave our room until 1:10 pm that day but, as I was doing laundry that morning, I passed by at least 3 staff members responsible for cleaning rooms repeatedly and not once did any of them tell me that they don't make up rooms after 1 pm (I found out about this that night when I returned, found the room unmade and asked the desk what had happened). Huh? Seriously? I understand that the cleaning staff goes off-shift at some time, but I don't understand staff failing to (1) ask a guest when they can come by to make up the room, (2) notify a guest of the deadline for making up a room, or (3) volunteering to a guest who walks by them repeatedly that the time for having their room made up will be ending soon.
I have never written a negative review of a Hampton or Hilton-affliated property before, and only once in my 51 years have I written a negative review of hotel. I write now about this property because it disappointed my expectations of a Hampton Inn in so many ways and, if you stay at these properties because they *don't* surprise you, then I strongly suggest finding another place to stay in Cedar City.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BuendeKES
, Manager at Hampton Inn Cedar City, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I appreciate reading guests comments as it helps to make our hotel better. Unfortunately we are a very small Hampton Inn with limited amenities and smaller rooms. There are only a few of us in the United States. I am deeply sorry to hear that my housekeeping staff did not take card of you. There is no excuse to not have taken care of you. Once again I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced here at my hotel and we hope you give us another chance in the future.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

My notes May 2012: 2 Queens, large contoured work table, office chair
no refer, no micro, no fancy décor, this was a very basic Hampton
very soft water, hotel is in a fairly new residential area with nice houses & apts
Located a few blocks from I-15 and a Super Wal Mart.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigTXN
SW USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stay at Hampton Inns quite a bit and even though this was a nice one, the room (a Queen) was the smallest we had ever been in. The rest of the hotel was standard for Hampton Inn and it was across the parking lot from Winger's, a good choice to eat. The staff were friendly and professional. We got no cookie as they were out.

Room Tip: Get a King room ,the Queen room was very small.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelNowSwUsa
Garden Grove, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

The hotel is clean and reasonably priced. The staff is friendly. And you get a free cookie upon checkin. Many restaurants and a Walmart are in walking distance. I came into Cedar City on I-15 N, the directions were slightly confusing. It took a couple minutes to find the hotel, tucked away behind a strip mall.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The hotel is convenient to I-15. Rooms were very clean, the whole property appeared to be well kept.
Cody at the front desk was very nice. Checkin was efficient, they had our keys ready when we arrived. The rooms are on the smaller side, yes.
We ate at a nearby Winger's restaurant that the staff recommended, very nice food.
I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple