“Good hotel if you want the silence of New York and view of Roosevelt Island” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bentley Hotel

The Bentley Hotel
Ranked #248 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good hotel if you want the silence of New York and view of Roosevelt Island”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed in this Hotel in October 2011 and it was great! Having read many not so good reviews I had to call the hotel and get an assurance. Good meals (I only had breakfast-and it was the same menu for all the three days!), The view from 16th floor upwards is great, but only if you book a room facing the Roosevelt Island since the hotel is sandwiched between large buildings that make any other view worthless. If you do not manage to get a good upper room (19th would be the best) then try spending your time at the restaurant. It has an excellent view of the River. Sadly when I got home I found my debit card had been charged for services I do not know since I had confirmed the amounts I owe. And they do not manage the internet in the rooms, so you have to call the external people whenever you have a problem.

Room Tip: Top rooms are the best for any views
Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Paulnairobi
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We spent a week at the Bentley which is in a great location. Approx 20 mins walk to Central park , easy to get to Bloomingdales, Macy's, 42nd street and 5th avenue . Never paid more than £10 for a taxi and even used the hotels limo service which was same price as a yellow cab .

Before arriving in New York I did my own due diligence on the hotel after reading some pretty awful reviews , I emailed the hotel directly voicing my concerns on the reviews I had read. After three emails the director of rooms Brett Caspi called me personally to discuss my concerns. I was so pleased with this level of care and service that immediately all my fears were gone. I discussed with Brett that we would prefer a room on a high floor with views of the Queensborough bridge and also requested a coffee maker and a refrigerator . This was all confirmed , however upon check in things did not go quite as planned !

The guy on check in did not honour any of our requests stating that as I did not make the booking directly with the hotel and through booking.com that no special requirements could be accomodated and also the hotel was very busy ! Excuse me I made the booking in August 2011 , so you have known about it for 6 months and now your telling me your busy !
He was not the slightest bit interested that I had been speaking directly with the director of rooms prior to my arrival. I explained that I had email correspondence to back this up but as I could not show him (due to not being able to log on to my ipad) he was not interested. I asked for the director of rooms but he was not working.
Also whilst checking us in he answered the telephone 4 times which I consider to be extremely rude and discourteous , no concern for the client he is dealing with .
I have to say that this individual was rude, showed no concern for my requests and to be honest I doubted what our stay was going to be like if all the staff were so disinterested .

Our room which I have to say was quite spacious for a twin and nicley furnished with a nice view even though it was on the 7th floor but not what I had requested , so I emailed the director of rooms my concerns and frustrations over the dreadful check in experience and requested that we meet the following day to discuss my concerns and disappointment .

Within 30 mins I received a phone call from the same rude guy who checked us in , saying that Brett had picked up the email and had called in to apologise for the mis communication over the booking and as a gesture of goodwill they offered us dinner in the Resturant during our stay and a transfer to a room on the 18th floor with a coffee maker and refridgerator . We said we would move in the morning as we were a little tired.

The following morning we went to reception to make arrangements to move rooms and were told the room wasn't ready ............ Erh what's going on ? It was available last night now it's not, we were then told I would be ready after 2pm and it had city view ! Mmmmmm I had requested a river view , so as you can imagine I was somewhat frustrated by now when the general manager appeared .
Augustine (GM) was very apologetic and offered to move us to a suite on 18th floor at no extra cost , Brett then introduced himself and apologised for the inconvenience we had encountered.

I have to say that both Brett and Augustine were both very accommodating and showed a high level of customer service unlike the guy on the font desk on check in , he could learn a lot from them both .

Brett made reservations for us at The Smith which I recommend for Sunday brunch or any other day , the food and the atmosphere were fabulous and Brett even emailed the following day to check if we had enjoyed the Smith which I thought was a nice touch.

Throughout our stay Brett and Augustine exceeded my expectations and made our stay at the Bentley a most pleasurable experience .

The front door staff were just fabulous , so friendly and always had a big smile to greet you.

I would recommend the Bentley and don't believe everything you read on here , If I had believed all the reviews I would have not stayed here, one reviewer told me to cancel and book elsewhere , I'm glad I didn't as we had a nice stay and met some great people .
Whenever we ordered ice or champagne glasses in arrival back in the hotel they arrived at the room before we did ! That's what I call service (**,)

We were so happy we didn't even take up the offer of a free dinner in the restaurant as we appreciated the upgrade to a suite which was more than enough.

The only negative is there is nowhere to do your hair or makeup , a small mirror would have been great and some brighter lighting ! Other than that is was great .

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a corner room to really appreciate the great views
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Poshbird232
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Everything is old, the road outside could be heard clearly, carpet in Lobby dirty, checked out after 2 nights. Rather go to time square for slightly more, and 100% better.

Room Tip: Good somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank William N
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I spent a weekend at this property and was pleased by the fantastic location, one block off the East River, you are within walking distance of Saks, Bloomis, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, the Theatre District and the adorable Dylan's Candy Bar. There are several places to eat nearby inluding my favorite Mr Chows on 57th.

The service was reasonable the property is nice enough, the rooms are clean.

Room Tip: A room with a river view is best.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel in febuary 2009. The room was nice, unfortunatly on the morning of our departure the hot water stopped working in our shower. We waited30 minutes before maintenance showed up, unable to fix the issue. I called down to the main desk to see if we could have a late check out due to the problem but were rudley told that we would be charged an extra day if we did not leave within the hour. I ended up taking a cold shower. No apologies were made or compensation. After my cold shower I asked if they could send up some hot tea. Upon check- out there was a charge on my bill for the tea, only after fighting with the front desk did they remove the charge. It was than discoverd that there was nohit water in most of the hotel. This Hotel would get a 4.5 star rating if only they learnt about customer service. Needless to say I am staying there again this weekend. The location is good as well as the rooms, hopefully this time around the stafff will have a friendly and more accomadating attitude.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends