West Side YMCA
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Empire Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
Phillips Club(New York City)
View Hotel
Hudson Hotel New York(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
Da Vinci Hotel(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
1,395 results
All reviewscolumbus circlelincoln centrekey cardview of central parktimes squarethree blockslocation is excellentsaunabroadway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I travel quite a bit. I've stayed in places with marble floors to the walk-in closets (The Seoul Plaza - a quite splendid hotel) and places of such horror and terror that closing your eyes at night seemed like an impossible dare (some flea pit near Kings Cross station in London, whose name I have thankfully blanked from my memory).
Although it is true to say say that the West Side Y is closer to flea pit than palace that's a simplistic and unfair comparison to make: let me tell you why.
1. The decor – to be fair the material make-up of the rooms is Spartan, and sometimes looks like it got into a street fight (and lost). But the rooms are always clean.
2. Yes, you share a bathroom. So for me that meant my students might walk in while I'm in the shower: if I can live with that thought you can live with the thought of a stranger seeing your derrière. Get over it, everyone is an adult and should be the same gender as you (unless you are doing something you shouldn't be). Unless you're very lucky you won't have anything they've not seen (and visa versa).
3. The other guests. My students told me they had read tales online of freakshows wandering the corridors – not so. Everyone I saw was decently clothed (except for a pair of my towel-clad students, which I apologize for), sober and well behaved. If strange things happened while you were there I'd look to your travelling companions not the hotel.
4. The staff – the staff are at least professional and best rather lovely. There is a scary lady at the lobby entrance, but this is NYC, it's in her job description. If you get poor service my advice is to run a check on your own manners: these guys are on lower wages than they are at The Plaza, their incentive to tolerate bad manners is lower; but treat them with courtesy and they respond in kind.
5. The food is OK for snacking purposes. I'd avoid it a part of a regular diet. Go to the La Parisienne Coffee House on 7th near the Park for an excellent breakfast, or the Brooklyn Diner (212 W 57th St) for lunch (Rootbeer Float – hhhhhhhm!).
6. The place has a great location and is crazy cheap for Manhattan.
I've never seen vermin there (and I've stayed there twice). I did see a roach next to the Empire State building, by the loby of a posh office block, it was huge. But never at the YMCA.
To sum up: It looks a bit rough, it's quiet enough to sleep in, the beds are clean and comfortable, the bathrooms are communal but fine,* and the location is awesome.

* Note: I'm going to qualify that statement. The bathrooms are fine if you take a little spray bottle of bleach. They are cleaned regularly, but the other guests are not always as careful while away as they would be in their own homes. I'd also recommend a set of sucker hooks, that way you can hang all your clothes up (but then what kind of traveller doesn't take sucker hooks with them?)

Room Tip: Go for the 12th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Wandering_Bukanin
Reviewed 20 March 2012

You get what you pay for. This is certainly the case in this place. Staying in a room with a friend, we had prison style bunkbeds, a view of another building which backed on to the place and not a lot else.

But, it was very cheap and in a great location.

The shared bathrooms were acceptable, but on one occasion we did see a dead cockroach..not nice. I would recommend you to bring flip flops!

Room Tip: Paying the extra however much it is for an upgrade is probably worth it here!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Its cheap, its close to everything, you get a decent bed and a good night sleep, with not so clean bathroom but its not that bad either. I always go back to the westside YMCA because its in a good location. 5-7 min. Walk to times square, 1 min. To central park, 3min. To subway so hey, if you're only there to sleep its a good value. And its not noisy which is a major plus in downtown NYC.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 19 February 2012

As with everything in life you only get what you pay for and the West Side YMCA certainly lives up to that cliché. The rooms themselves were functional, you got a bunk bead, a tv (if it worked), a desk, lamp and alcove to store your luggage. The shared bathrooms are however inadequate for their purpose, 3 showers for an entire floor is disgraceful however you either get up early or travel to other floors to shower - both of which I did. One of the plus points is that the staff I dealt with were incredibly friendly and made you feel very welcome. The security staff were friendly as well and were more than happy to help. Security was incredibly strict which improved my perception of the hostel and made me feel safe staying there.
I would definitely stay here again, it's location is perfect and is excellent value for money. However I would certainly book an en-suite room.

Room Tip: If you're lucky you might get a view of central park by straining your neck out of the window...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ss003
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here over new year and in terms of quality you really do get what you pay for. The room was small, and the bed creaky. The shared bathrooms were truly awful, with a flimsy shower curtain separating you from the world.

The corridors have an air of foreboding that would be inspirational if you were Stephen King, but otherwise are just plain creepy!

Staff aren't up to much, pretty blunt and not interested in anything but the basics!

Having said all that, the location is second to none. 1 minute from Central Park, 10 minutes from Times Square. And at Christmas and New Year you really can't put a price on that!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple