“Very nice, but not up to luxury standards”

Loews Regency New York Hotel
Ranked #41 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

So, this hotel is priced in between true luxury hotels and upper mid-range hotels, so we didn’t expect everything to be perfect. With that being said, they are SO close to being a wonderful hotel, but there are a lot of little things missing. For instance, our room was kind of falling apart. When we first arrived our lights didn’t work, but they managed to fix that soon. However, our broken (falling off the wall) night stand, our broken shower knob, and our broken toilet paper holder were never addressed, even though we told the hotel about those things and they said they’d take care of it (we were there for four nights). One day we didn’t have any hot water and one of our bathroom sinks always clogged up (they also said they would fix that and they didn’t). Beyond that, we went to the bar once to be ignored for about 15 minutes (bartender kept looking at us and just not asking us if we needed anything) and room service was definitely not great. They took our orders wrong every time and would tell us breakfast would be there in 90 minutes and then it would show up in 45. Just weird stuff like that made us scratch our heads. Otherwise, it’s a lovely hotel and almost all the staff were really good to us. The concierge team was amazing, the door guys were so nice, and our waiter at brunch one morning was fantastic. His name started with an R and is from Bangladesh, but I can’t remember his whole name. Wish I could because he’s great. This is why we should always leave reviews right away. So, overall we enjoyed the experience, but management should probably try to nail down some of the issues mentioned above if they want to be considered a luxury hotel. It’s a beautiful hotel.

Stayed: January 2018

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have been visiting NYC for many years and, now that we are retired, we have been coming into the city about every three months so we have tried a number of hotels over the years. Some have been great. Others not so much.

I can honestly say, our stay at the Loews Regency has been the best hotel experience we have ever had in NYC and that includes some other very pricey hotels.

We stayed at Loew's because I had some elective surgery done on the Upper East Side and we needed a hotel that was close to my doctor. We normally stay around Mid-town for the convenience of seeing plays and such. So, while we have been out and about on the Upper East Side, we had never stayed in that area.

I expected the hotel to be a little stuffier than the others in which we've stayed but I was very happily wrong. From our first encounter with the doorman and the people at the registration desk, we found ourselves greeted by genuinely friendly people. You can always tell when someone is being friendly or polite because it is in the job description and I have absolutely no problem with that. But it was immediately apparent that these folks were honestly happy, friendly, and enjoyed their work.

We boarded the elevator which requires everyone, regardless of how high your floor is, to use your room card in order to activate the lift. I thought this was a nice touch as far as security goes but we ended up traveling up with another guest to his floor and then back down to the lobby before we had our card out. We just laughed about it and on one of our other trips in the lift found ourselves helping out another guest who wasn't aware of this. I feel it says something about the hotel that it cares for the security of anyone staying, regardless of whether or not you are on a special floor.

Halfway down the hallway to our room we were greeted by the housekeeper. Again, unlike any other hotel we've been in in the The City, the lady introduced herself as Victoria and told us she would be taking care of our room. Should we need anything at all, please let her know. Wow! I have only had this happen one other time, in all the years we have been traveling and that was when we took a very high end, small cruise line to Alaska where our stewards were assigned to specific rooms.

Our room was a good size for NYC and the decor was very nicely done - understated, relaxing grays, with an average size bathroom and large windows that looked out on another building. It was a typical, very nice room. While the room itself was very clean and comfortable, my biggest concern is with the state of the bathroom. This one was spotless, even in the corners and behind the door. Yes, I know... I 'm slightly neurotic about that. We had six nice sized bath towels, hand towels and washcloths - also another pet peeve of mine since I always need a towel to dry my hair and hate having to ask for a third towel every day! And here's another thing that struck me which I really liked. There were none of those phony little cards placed lovingly on the counter that say, "If you'd like to help us conserve water, kindly hang your towels. If you would like a fresh towel leave it on the floor." By now, everyone on the face of the planet knows this doesn't actually help the environment! It just makes it easier on housekeeping so they don't have to pull out fresh towels every time they make up the room!

In the room itself, we found the bed to be very comfortable with a nicely weighted duvet and four good sized pillows. I did find the pillows a little annoying because they are filled with what must be hypoallergenic stuffing. I found them a bit lumpy and it was difficult to get them in a comfortable position but the bed was extremely comfortable. And again I'm going to rave about Victoria! Even in high end hotels, I never expect the bed to be made as if it were being made for my first night. The second day, the bed is usually made far less carefully and indeed, many times I have found it so poorly made that I have remade it myself. But oh, Victoria!!! After leaving for surgery the second day and coming back to our room I was amazed to find that the bed looked as if it were the first time we were going to use it. Wow! I have stayed in hotels that cost $1,000 per night and have never had this happen!

As for the amenities in the room, there is a safe and an ironing board & iron, blow dryer, nicely lighted make-up mirror, well stocked mini-fridge and a few snacks which are probably overpriced but I can tell you, the chocolate chip cookies are a delight! Made with real butter, they may cost a bit but they were crisp, fresh and very tasty. And one more, very cool thing. The bathroom has one of those high tech wall mirrors that can has a television in it! Not a necessity but really cool!

The night before my surgery I accompanied my husband to the bar where I grudgingly sipped a sparkling water while he had glass of wine. I noticed the pour was a good size (another peeve of mine) and the bartender was very attentive. It was obvious that this is a local watering hole as people were coming in, catching one of the three bartenders eyes and ordering "the usual". It was a very lively, convivial kind of bar where, if you came down alone, you would not feel out of place.

The bartenders were not the kind of folks who stand around and chat with the patrons. As I said, there were three of them serving a very packed bar and servicing the guests who were dining in the attached restaurant. But boy, do they know their stuff! I told my husband, watching the three of these folks (two men and a woman) expertly produce amazing looking cocktails at the speed of light was a show in itself. Don't get the wrong idea. This is not "Cocktail" - the movie. There were no showy efforts to impress. These guys are all business but since we had a front row seat I found I couldn't take my eyes off of them. They are a well oiled machine which means, in spite of the large crowd, you will not wait long for that second drink. Very impressive!

The next morning we had breakfast in that same bar/restaurant and again, were really pleased with both the service and the food. Since I was required to actually eat before my procedure I indulged in their Eggs Benedict which was divine. In fact, upon ordering them, our waiter declared them to be the best things on the menu and "yummy". When the hostess happened to pass by she stopped and said, "Oh! You've got my favorite thing!" See what I mean? Super nice, unpretentious people. And before I forget to mention this - The Loewe's Regency is one of the less expensive hotels on the Upper East Side! For this kind of service and care you cannot get a better deal.

Our stay at the Loew's was almost perfect but there was one small thing that did bother both of us. We drove into the city and when we got our car we noticed that someone had changed the setting on my passenger seat and had changed the radio station! Since we saw only one gentleman driving it to the lot to be parked and one gentleman drive it to the door when it was time to leave, we wonder what happened in between. Now, the car we drive into the city is nothing special because, not being New Yorkers, we want to drive our tank of an SUV so it's not that someone went joy riding in some Bently. But it was a concern as to why someone else was in the passenger seat and listening to a different station. But that was the only issue and, by the way, the wait time to get the car was very short by NYC standards.

After having stayed at the Loewe's Regency, we have decided that we will stay here again, even if we are in town to see a play. Our experience was amazing. And I'd like to go back to that bar to see how they make a Whiskey Sour!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen A
John M, General Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Karen A,
Thank you for review and your high recommendations.
We're delighted to hear we were able to make your stay supremely comfortable while about to undergo surgery.
We're looking forward welcoming to your new home away from home.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Positives:
- Price
- Location
- Concierge was helpful ((Andrew, David, Katheryn).

Negatives:
- Room was dated, dark, and carpet was dusty / dirty. (Other reviews pointed this out)
- Daily room cleaning was poor (i.e. they did not clean the nespresso machine and other reviewers pointed this out as well)
- Facilities such as sauna did not work and gym equipment was filthy (staff should clean the equipment daily especially with all the flu viruses going around).
- Restaurant food was average at best and staff needs training. (Other reviews pointed this out)
- House car is rarely available, so do not count on this by any means.
- Staff needs further training on how to provide a 5-star experience. Interaction was inconsistent, some helpful and smiling, some could not care less.(Other reviews pointed this out)

Summary:
If you are looking for a 3.5 - 4 star hotel in a great location and do not care so much about service and facilities, I recommend this and it may be the best deal near Central Park South. However, if you are considering this as a great deal for a 5 star hotel, please spend the extra $100-$200 / night and choose another hotel or you may be very disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2018

Frequent traveler to NYC for business and The Regency continues to be my first choice. Outstanding in everything. Comfortable feeling to know that if an issue arises (as they do anywhere) that the staff addresses professionally and expeditiously. Great Hotel in a great location!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Loews Hotels and Resorts

Dear Jeff J,
Thank you for your review.
Delighted to hear you had an outstanding visit while staying us.
We're looking forward in seeing you soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Beginning in 1966 I stayed at the Regency often and enjoyed every minute of it. This past week I returned after a decade or two and fell in love with the warmth and comfort of this hotel all over again. The renovation provides the visitor with sophisticatedly upscale and modern rooms and bathrooms. The location cannot be better in NYC.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business

Dear Benjamin S,
Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback.
We’re pleased you loved all of the changes we made with our renovations and love all of the staff!
We're looking forward in welcoming you back to your home away from home.