“Room to Spare” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Carlisle, PA
“Room to Spare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

This is a hotel I've always wanted to try, and we weren't disappointed. We were looking for a hotel to spend one night in NYC after returning to Port Liberty from a cruise to Bermuda. We go a very good price ($220), and it was easy to drive to and park at a garage a few doors away on 51st St. The location is convenient to all sorts of sights in midtown (we picked up tickets for a play at TKTS) and had dinner later. Although we arrived before noon, after a short walk, we had a bellman tell us that he would check to see if our room was ready - and it was. The room was twice as large as our ship's cabin and a pleasurable change. Everything was comfortable and spacious - unlike many NYC hotels. There is a little coffee room were we were able to get our morning shot of caffeine and some pastry, and we were on our way back home in the morning. I'd love to go back and spend more time when we could really enjoy all the room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Angier, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law had never been to NY and asked if my wife and I would go with them to show them around. It was my first time going to the city and not be working.
The hotel is located in great proximity to the theater district. When you walk inthe door, all the hubbub goes away. The staff makes you feel at home immediately. The rooms are spacious, clean, and well decorated. Most of all the room is quiet. Which is rare for NYC.
I want to expecially praise James the concierge. He went out of his way to help me.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Seaford, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Hotel was excellent from the room to the staff who gave us an upgrade upon arrival. One minor tv issue was quickly resolved with a phone call to the front desk/maintenance person coming right away. I would highly recommend this hotel for your next NYC visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Santa Cruz CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Have stayed at the Michelangelo twice, most recently in April 2012. The hotel is a boutique facility that has a superb and accommodating staff. It is located on 51st and 7th Avenue just outside of "official" Times Square. This particular corner is fairly quiet but close enough to the theater district to attend shows or eat at some of the fine restaurants. The rooms are always extremely adequate and spotless. We have stayed at many of the smaller boutique hotels in NYC but this is out favorite. We will be back again in 2013. Price is about what you expect to pay in the big city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a quiet section of the hotel at least 4 stories up
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

From June 5th to the 10th, I visited The Michelangelo for the 7th time since first discovering it back in December of 2007. It has, and will remain, my home whenever I visit New York.

As always, the location cannot be beat. Broadway theaters, great restaurants, stores, and subway access are all minutes or sometimes steps away from the hotel. Another plus for the location - You're pretty much right in the middle of midtown New York, without having to be in the middle of all the chaos. The hotel remains a quiet sanctuary for sleep and winding down after a long day of walking around the city, and dealing with the crowds.

The hotel is tastefully decorated, and brings a sense of calm and elegance as soon as you walk through the doors. The rooms are also larger than normal for this part of town. I usually get upgraded to a Junior Suite when I check in, but I did not this time. Still, the room was plenty large, with a gorgeous marble bathroom, and a luxurious bed. The staff is also highly attentive, and always friendly. They refer to you by name, and whenever a problem in the room arises, they send someone up to fix it promptly.

Speaking of the staff, I must single out one individual who always goes above and beyond whenever I say here - His name is Henry, and whenever he carries my bags to my room, he talks to me as if he has been my friend for years. He also goes out of his way for his guests. On this particular visit, I was downstairs in the lobby one morning, using the free Internet to check e-mail. Henry walked up to me, and asked me if he could get me a juice or coffee. I assumed he meant from the hotel bar, so I asked him how much a juice would cost. He shook his head, and said he would get me one from the store down the street. Before I could say anything, he ran out of the lobby. 5 minutes later, he came running back, with a small container of orange juice. I reached for my wallet to pay him, and once again, he shook his head. He said that I was a VIP, and that everyone there appreciates how often I stay at the hotel.

So, even if I did not get my usual room upgrade, the staff still went out of their way, and regarded my return visit as something special.

I think that's what sets The Michelangelo apart. As a regular returning guest, I always feel special and welcome there. They acknowledge my loyalty, and seem genuinely honored that I have chosen their hotel as my "home" in New York. There are other perks here, such as how the elevators are also the fastest I have experienced in a hotel. I have never had to wait more than 5 seconds for an elevator to arrive, even during the busy dinner/theater hour, when everyone's going out for the evening. The free breakfast is also small, but pretty good. Some reviews have said that the free breakfast was moved to a small basement room. But, the week I was there, it was being held in the Mezzanine area just above the lobby. So, maybe they are trying it in different areas.

I guess if I must find fault, the front door staff could be more attentive. I think I held the door open for guests more than they did. Still, this is a minor flaw considering how excellent everything else is here. Thanks to the staff of the Michelangelo for another fantastic stay, and I look forward to my return in the Spring.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo