2,037 results
All reviewscafe bouludupper east sidecentral parkbar pleiadesgrand deluxe salonrelais chateauxmadison avenuerooftop gardennew yorkroom servicein room diningluxury hotelfavorite hotelbottle of champagnewonderful hotelturn down servicerooms are large
Reviewed 15 August 2015

Although this Hotel is in a great part of Upper East Side Manhattan and the standard of decor is superb, the staff are very rude and elitist in my opinion. We had an issue with our room and they were very unhelpful and stand offish when I tried to expalain our dissatisfaction.

We booked a 'grand delux salon' room for two adults and one child aged 11. In the US on any hotel booking we made they classed anyperson over 9 as an adult. So, clearly there were three people going to be staying in the room. We arrived and although the room was quite small (expexted really in NYC) there was ONE bed.

I instantly challenged this with the Assistant Manager and my request was met with a bad attitiude and the offer of another room at an extra $80 per night. The solution was a roll away bed and this was only after a stand - off "discussion" is recpetion. I feel this was handled really poorly and put us off the Hotel.

Be carefull too if you are not an individual of high net worth. This is an expensive hotel too. We got a 'deal' on the room at $375 per night. However, EVERYTHING else about this hotel was very expensive. Three drinks in the Roof Top garden was almost $90. Some people there were in their element with this and we just laughed at how much the super-rich get ripped off. Be careful. Yes Five star accomodation but pricing and attitudes way above this.

Coco, and all the door staff were very helpful. An experience to stay here and we loved our time in NYC but wouldn't stay at the Surrey again. Not a family hotel at all. We enjoy staying in good hotels don't get me wrong, but the attitude and prices just tarnished this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael D
pridguard60763, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2015

Dear Michael D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay at the Surrey. I apologize for what you described to be poor service which subsequently would put you off from a lovely hotel and for pricing that were too expensive.

After careful review of your reservations and inquiry sent to my attention via my Linkedin account months before your arrival, I am disappointed that we were unable to fulfill your expectations. Like most hotels, we offer a number of room categories that our guests can reserve before arriving at the hotel that would be best suited for the number of guests in their party. On arrival to the hotel, I understand that you presented your confirmation which stated Grand Deluxe Salon with a king size bed, the room accommodations you reserved at the hotel. I believe you indicated that this would not be ideal and were presented with two options, one was to purchase a room category that was more ideal for your stay with two queen size beds and the other to obtain a rollaway bed of which you expressed frustration in having to pay for an additional a room type of higher category which made you frustrated.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not being able to meet your expectations but rest assured we make every effort at the time of booking to be transparent with explaining the accommodations you have reserved, which you agreed to on arrival but were unhappy when your request for a complimentary upgrade was not being able to be fulfilled. I would also like to assure you that our prices are very competitive with all hotels on the Upper Eastside.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us, we will continue with our efforts to be transparent with all reservations and assist whenever possible. Should your travels bring you back to New York, please reach out directly to me and I am happy to assist you through the reservations process and throughout your stay to ensure a more positive experience.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

I just happened to stumble upon this place online. So glad that I did. This upscale boutique hotel in a great location was very impressive. In fact, Oprah Winfrey, had stayed there one week before I was there. I came to find that out from the bartender as we were chatting downstairs. Right around the corner, is world-class shopping. This hotel is beautifully decorated with high-end amenities in the room. The staff was friendly, in a the New York sort of way, and very efficient.

If you want something high-end, small and unique, The Surrey is the place for you.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Maynard A
pridguard60763, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the superb review, and I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience at the Surrey. I am equally happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcome. I agree that our location offers a more composed alternative to Central Park East, with all the grandeur of Manhattan’s premier museums, galleries and designer boutiques. Our hotel offers residential luxury with sophisticated and thoughtful service to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon at our location.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2015 via mobile

This is a very very good boutique hotel, with a great adjacent restaurant, a very nice hotel bar and a great roof top terrace, that unfortunately closes early. Both for business and pleasure a great place to be, close to the museum mile and at the fringe of Central Park. Good to be north of central station if you like to stay out of the hectic of mid- or downtown.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank TheHappyCamper2013
pridguard60763, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our unique design, tastefully appointed details in your accommodation, to the private enclave of our private roof garden, to our central location to the best of New York and most importantly, the gracious and professional service extended by our colleagues.

We were pleased that we exceeded your expectations and The Surrey was well worth it. We remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2015

We were only able to stay at the Surrey for one night...but boy was it a night. The Upper East Side was booked and I was having a hard time finding a hotel room. I had had a massage at the Cornelia Spa a few months ago which was how I knew to even look at this hotel...otherwise it would not have been on my radar. The lobby has a lovely feel, there is a Chuck Close tapestry in the elevator vestibule. It is very black, white, grey, stylish, nice vibe. You can imagine my surprise when the lovely front desk person, Opal, said we had a nice upgrade. Boy did we! They gave us the penthouse suite. Not sure why, but we loved it. It even had its own roof terrace. It was such a treat to be in the true lap of luxury. Because we will likely never stay in the penthouse suite again, let me tell you what everyone can enjoy about this hotel. It goes without saying that the beds and linens are lovely. I love bath products, and these were very good.. I would think all of the baths all have the tasteful mosaic tiles. The rooftop bar is a stunner, and I think only for hotel guests. The Cornelia Spa is fab. I had an amazing facial with Z...had not had a facial in 30 years, made me wonder why. I did work out in the gym but cannot remember the details other than it was fine for a hotel gym...better than average. We loved the bar in the bottom of the hotel...had dinner there one night. We ate dinner at Café Boulud, also in the bottom of the hotel, and it was our favorite dinner while in town. There you have it. yes, we would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy R
pridguard60763, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2015

Reviewed 10 August 2015

Close to everything that you would want in a trip to NYC, the park, shopping, restaurants...location, location, location, plus amazing rooms, very nice feeling to the entire hotel, incredible rooftop deck, fun atmosphere. The staff welcomed us like family...this is THE place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank jamesdH3646PZ
pridguard60763, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2015