The Surrey
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 185
US$ 157
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$ 198
US$ 360
US$ 168
US$ 138
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 289
US$ 255
  • Pool
US$ 340
US$ 306
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 148
US$ 145
  • Bar/Lounge
Avalon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 264
US$ 255
  • Fitness centre
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 115
  • Breakfast included
1,977 results
All reviewscafe bouludupper east sidecentral parkbar pleiadesgrand deluxe salonrelais chateauxmadison avenuerooftop gardennew yorkmuseum mileroom servicein room diningluxury hotelfavorite hotelbottle of champagnewonderful hotelturn down service
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I loved the private penthouse deck /bar for in house guests only. Wonderful place to relax in the summer. Overall excellent ,hotel that has improved greatly since reopening. Shan the GM is terrific. She gets it .

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank JamesSterlingTravels
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Dear Guest,

I am humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us.

Our interior architect, Lauren Rottet intended for our design to be reflective of our Upper East Side neighborhood, evoking the ambiance of a residential townhouse that has evolved over time and we are truly delighted that our tastefully appointed décor has exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

was whisked away for a romantic night at this exquisite small boutique hotel on the upper west side of NYC, quiet, elegant service from the moment we drove up. All the staff were friendly and welcoming and we were surprised by the comfort and familiarity that we felt in just one evening. A perfect get away from the usual over done, large hotels in the city. Great location, with a beautiful intimate bar and rooftop setting, the room was stylishly furnished, with all the amenities, and we were pleasantly surprised by the champagne and chocolates left when they discovered our reason for the visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skip93
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing feedback from your recent romantic stay with us. We were pleased to learn that you have become such a fan of our Upper East Side gem.

We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our prime location, tastefully appointed accommodations, luxurious amenities and Private Roof Garden. We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that our team members were so successful in touching your heart and soul.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We spent the last three days of June here, and absolutely loved the hotel building itself, and the location. But holes in the overall level of service left us less than 100% satisfied.

First of all, the hotel building. It is beautiful. There are nice little details in the room. Fine, Italian made toiletries. Great thick, large towels and robes. A fully stocked bar. A vast, deep array of cable channels with every movie channel you can imagine. The newspaper of your choice at your door every morning. Awesome hot water pressure in the shower. Windows that you can open. Two separate window shades – one for privacy, and one for complete blackout. All very nice.

But here’s our laundry list of annoyances:

1) Internet connection that is $15/day, or $60/week. For a room in this price range, it should be included. After paying this, you start to feel nickel and dimed.

2) Concierge not there when you need him. Our first night, we stopped by the concierge desk with a few basic questions. He was busy helping a non-guest of the hotel get onto the elevator, and then didn’t return to his desk. After standing there for over 5 minutes, on empty stomachs, waiting for him to return, we gave up and left. And shouldn’t a guest have a higher level of priority than a non-guest?

3) Doormen always otherwise engaged. It’s not that there’s an absence of doormen. But they always seem to be doing things other than opening the doors. Right after waiting for the Concierge to return, when we exited the hotel, I opened the door and other guests proceeded to enter the hotel – bags in tow – while I got stuck standing there, holding the door for them. Ten guest entries later, I was able to actually exit the hotel myself. No, I was not a doorman in a previous life. Nor do I desire to be one in this life.

4) Doormen who are not courteous in their use of the elevator. The next morning, after returning to the hotel after and early outdoor run, I entered the hotel visibly sweaty and hot. I got on the elevator, and pressed the button for my floor. The doorman quickly ran over and put his hand in front of the elevator door. I thought he was doing something helpful, like maybe hand me a towel. He then proceeded to, in slow and laggardly fashion, drag a very full baggage cart into this smallish elevator while I stood, waited, and sweated. We went up two floors, then I got to wait for him to go through the entire process in reverse as he unloaded. After all that, I was finally able to get up to my room. Now… there are TWO elevators. Why was it so important that he make me stand there waiting, dripping sweat in the elevator, while he went through this whole process. Seriously. Where is the courtesy and consideration for me as a guest who was simply wanting to get up to my room so I could towel off?

5) The roof deck doesn’t service the appropriate type of food, at the appropriate time of day. That night we stopped by the roof deck after dinner for a coffee and dessert. The roof deck is incredible, by the way, but more on that in a moment. We were informed that they could serve us coffee on the deck, but not dessert. But here’s the thing – they had to go downstairs to get the coffee. The location of the dessert? Downstairs as well. Why was it not possible to bring up desserts while bringing up coffee? It doesn’t make sense. Especially in a hotel that supposedly is “five star,” and is all about going “above and beyond” to service you as guests. So instead, we were offered “sliders.” Who in their right mind wants sliders with their coffee at 9:30 pm?

6) Our room request was essentially unmet. A few days before our stay, we received an email from the hotel, requesting our room preferences. We very clearly indicated that we preferred a room on an upper floor. When we checked in, we reiterated this request. Our room was located on the 8th floor (out of 16 floors). Not exactly an “upper floor.” If they are going to go to the effort of requesting preferences, they should go through an equal amount of effort in SATISFYING preferences. Otherwise, it really makes you feel like they are just going through the motions to make you FEEL like you’re going to get your preferences, even though you’re really not. (Note: To make matters worse, we had friends check in a day later. They did NOT request a high floor, and were shown to a room on the 16th floor.)

The mere fact that this is a beautiful hotel located on the Upper East Side does NOT necessarily this a five star hotel make! Yes, it’s a solid four star. But it is NOT a five star. If you go here with that expectation, you will, like us, be disappointed with the obvious holes in the service.

Having said all this, it must be mentioned that this hotel has one of the most spectacular roof top decks you will find anywhere in New York. Actually, it could be one of the best rooftop decks you will find in any large metropolitan area. The cityscape up there is incredible, day or night. There are rooftop gardens full of herbs, some of which are used in making various drinks. Bumblebees frequent the flowers, and make you feel like you are someplace completely removed from the concrete jungle below. The music is light and not too loud, creating a very pleasant environment. They do serve snacks – including the aforementioned “sliders.” Not exactly “five star” food, by the way. A serious upgrade in the level of food served up there is something this hotel should really consider.

If you are more successful in your effort to get the hotel to satisfy your requests than we were, you’ll end up in a room that ends in “09”. This will put you in a corner room that faces northwest. You’ll see the trees down the street in Central Park, and have tons of light in your room. The light in our room, and the rooftop deck, were probably the two things we enjoyed most about our stay in The Surrey.

To summarize: 5 star hotel building. 5 star location. 3 star service. Resulting in a net overall 4 star rating. That’s an HONEST assessment of this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room ending in "09" to be on a well-lit corner, with exposure to both the north and west.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank eilig
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit. Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the service lapses and disappointment you experienced during your stay with us.

Rest assured I have discussed your feedback at length with our leadership team. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

We will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we periodically review our pricing strategy for internet services. Mr Michael Dunbar, Director of Front Office is working on the consistency of door and concierge services to prevent future such guest dissatisfaction.

We regret that you were not offered dessert with your coffee. Mr Raymond Goulbourne, Food & Beverage Manager has since re-trained his team to ensure that we are intuitive to our guests’ needs at all times.

Please be advised that we do our best to honor guest preferences, but it is subject to availability.

I welcome the opportunity to further discuss this with you as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. I may be reached at 646.358.3605; I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Restaurant average, lounge better than average, roof-top lounge crowded, service quite good, friendly and capable staff. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and, actually, luxurious.
I might describe it as a Junior Carlyle Hotel. The real version is in the neighborhood, across Madison.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Norman W
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased that our close proximity to Central Park, tastefully appointed and luxurious accommodations were in keeping with your expectations. We pride ourselves on the gracious and warm service extended by our team members and we were incredibly proud to learn that we were so successful in achieving this with you.

We shared your feedback on Café Boulud and Bar Pleiades with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager so that he may address to ensure consistent service levels. WE appreciate your recognition of our team on our Private Roof Garden and they were pleased that they exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

This was our first time at The Surrey on the Upper East Side. It was our 10th wedding anniversary, and although we were called Mr&Mrs (were Gay) on a card awaiting in our room with a bottle of chilled champagne, it did not matter.
Check in was a breeze on a Saturday late afternoon.
Our room 914, was a corner room with two windows and a small one in the bathroom. The room was spotless and clean. The size was about 330 sq ft and was perfectly laid out and had a view of Madison Ave. The hotel has thought of putting everything into the design elements in the room, which make is comfortably glamorous. The Duxiana bed, a King was luxurious and afforded us a great nights sleep every night. Linens are soft and crisp and the turn down service is nice. The bathrooms are relatively small but all marble. The shower is one of the most powerful I have ever had. the towels were soft and absorbed the water easily and were plentiful and replenished each day. The toiletries were luxurious (made for the Hotel) and I snuck them into my bag every day to take home-especially the body cream.
As we were overlooking Madison Ave , we expected it to be noisier than it actually was. The Hotel is a stones throw walk to Central Park and is very handy to the Museums and luxury shopping.
We had wine on the roof garden a couple of times. My only gripe is they charge an automatic 20% gratuity. I would have preferred to leave my choice of tip. We also ate at Cafe Boulud on the outdoor patio and everything was perfect(see review). We also had after dinner drinks at bar Pleides one night and it was very relaxing.
Check out was smooth and easy.
Everything about this hotel exudes luxury and modernity. It was full last weekend, but everyone was so gracious and pleasant.
I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat, and we are already looking at returning next June on our annual trip to NYC, we might even make it sooner. Thank you to everyone at The Surrey for making this a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: A corner room on a high floor, ours was room 914, offers more light.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank muskokaguys
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased that we were chosen to celebrate your ten year anniversary and that you have become a fan of The Surrey.

We were pleased to learn that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and tastefully appointed guest accommodations, featuring our custom Duxiana bedding, Sferra linens and Laura Tonatto bath amenities exceeded your expectations and that you were most impressed with our close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue.

Our Roof Garden is reminiscent of an English garden and we are delighted that you enjoyed this private sanctuary as well as the innovative libations at Bar Pleiades.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your 11th anniversary celebration at The Surrey... making it a yearly tradition. Please contact me sp I may personally handle your arrangements and in the interim, we remain at your service.