I had the pleasure of staying at the Surrey recently for 3 evenings at the end of June.
The reservation process was frankly torture - they were running a 'promotion' online which, when you actually looked at it, was asking you to pay more than the regular room rate. This was perhaps an error, perhaps intended deception... However, once I raised the error with the manager, it was confirmed there was a pricing problem and the manager offered to assist. They didn't honour the appropriate rate, but did try to make it up all the same.
Regardless, this is an exceptional hotel. The public spaces are limited in scope, but provide a sense of intimacy that is a welcome relief to the 'grandeur' of other hotels in the area. The rooms themselves (we booked two) are utterly stylish, abundantly comfortable, spacious without fault and a perfect balance between decadence and comfort.
Service is beyond reproach. Yes, the bartenders in the main bar could use a less or two in politeness (and perhaps should avoid the use of the "f word" in front of patrons!) but this was utterly out of step with the rest of the service. Concierge was impeccable, and set up numerous reservations and appointments swiftly. Check in staff were gracious and pleasant. Doormen where cheerful and full of personality. Not stiff service, but friendly and immensely efficient.
New York hotels are a riot - and while this space certainly wouldn't appeal to scenesters seeking a downtown vibe, anyone looking for a glamorous and superb hotel on the upper east side can truly do no better. The management should be very proud of the level of service, and the owners of this property should appreciate just how special this hotel is. Bravo.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Prestigia and Agoda so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City