I'm really torn between giving the Surrey 4 or 5 stars. The rooms are huge - especially for NYC and the bed & bedding amazing. The decor is cool from the lobby & bar up to the halls and rooms. Sitting area in the room has 2 big chairs and works well. There are plenty of counter spaces. The bathroom is really nice with a double sink (marble), which is helpful for those of us used to this. Our room had a large glass shower with both a rain show head and a 2nd mounted/hand held. Toiletries are very nice.
Upper East side is so lovely & you're right by the Met and great shopping. The Italian coffee shop/bakery (Sant Ambroeus) mentioned in other posts is FABULOUS! But, you're on the upper east in a truly European place, so you'll pay for the quality and specialty. It's worth it, but be ready, then just enjoy.
The staff was accommodating and we were given a late checkout on a weekday, just for the asking. We had a pretty basic room on the 7th floor and it was wonderful.
The few things that knock it down from 5 (maybe) - This is a beautifully renovated, cool hotel, but it is in an old building. While this makes it special, you can hear some street noise. It's not unreasonable, but you will probably here something every now and then, and a once we heard voices from the room next door - but only once. The place is wonderfully clean. I couldn't find a pen or pad of paper to make a note in the room. The shower was great and I rarely take baths, but kind of thought our room might have a tub. Check in/out was very courteous and helpful. They did try to discreetly upsell us to a suite without mentioning the extra $250 surcharge. Nothing happened, but it was one of those, soft offers with just a mention of "for a small fee." When we asked how much, he was immediately forth coming and didn't push when we said "no" so don't get the impression this is a sham, but just beware and ask.
We got a great price through www.lastminutetravel.com and for what we paid, this was an amazing NYC luxurious deal!
Evening turn down with bottled water and a madeline cookie was a nice touch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City