“Charming and great location!!”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #72 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Farmville, Virginia, USA
“Charming and great location!!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Just a few steps away from Central Park and 5th Avenue! The Surrey brings alive culture and sophistication with their classic modern European style! The staff was so welcoming, and gave friendly personal service. The breakfast in the hotels restaurant was fabulous! We travel a lot, in many states and countries, we Highly recommend the Th Surrey and consider it our "home" hotel when we visit NYC!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elissa G
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your high praise and recommendation from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in creating a memorable experience and that you have become a fan of The Surrey.

Our unique design by Lauren Rottet, award winning dining at Café Boulud, and prime location are indeed some of our best attributes. We were truly pleased that you found our service to be intuitive and personalized. I have personally thanked each and every colleague for their exceptional service delivery.

We look forward to welcoming back to your home away from home and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I used to travel to NYC often and always stayed at the Surrey before the remodel, but had not been back for several years so I was curious to see the 'new' Surrey. It is now a luxury hotel but still maintains the boutique feeling. The staff, including the manager, doormen, front desk, housekeeping, and even the maintenance man (we had a brief issue with adjusting the heating) were professional, friendly, attentive, but not overly so-just enough to let you know your patronage is appreciated.

Our room, was a corner room with lots of light and air (windows actually open). The huge king bed with crisp (million thread) cotton sheets and duvet with lush pillows were divine and comfy. The marble mosaic tiled bathroom with the beautiful glass enclosed shower was super nice. The coffee service in the lobby in the morning with bottled water and apples - a nice touch.

Most importantly, the hotel is quiet, secure, and spotless. The security features assures a carefree stay and after a long day out and about on the streets of NYC, a very comforting place to return to.

I could go on and on, suffice to say, I highly recommend the Surrey.

Room Tip: Corner room on upper floor
1 Thank Jackie L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback and high recommendation from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the tastefully appointed details in your accommodation, to our central location and most importantly, the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues. Our custom Duxiana bedding featuring sumptuous Sferra linen indeed provides a most relaxing sleep experience.

Your recommendation of The Surrey is very important to us and we thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Milwaukee
Reviewed 20 February 2012

What a nice little gem on the upper east side. We were so pleasantly surprised. Our stay at The Surrey far exceeded our expectations. The front desk could not have been nicer or more welcoming. The concierge(s) were knowledgeable and gave great recommendations. We felt very comfortable in our room. The rooms were spacious by NY standards and the shower (pressure) was the best I have found in any hotel.
The beds were comfortable (Duxiana mattresses), Pratesi sheets! The only caveat (but who can be perfect) were the pillows. The down pillows were not quite soft enough to my liking. I asked for another pillow, yet that was even stiffer, my fault for not being explicit and requesting a "mushier" pillow. I still was able to have a great nights sleep. I don't remember the last time I slept until 10 o'clock.
We ate one night at Cafe Bouloud, OMG, it was divine. The bar in the hotel has a nice assortment of drinks, but appetizers didn't thrill me. I did like the nice touch of the "nibbles" they provided with our cocktails.
I am a hotel snob. My last couple of trips to NYC we have stayed at The Trump. I happened upon a nice package at The Surrey and thought "why not." I am so glad I did. I say "Trump, you're fired, The Surrey, you're hired!" We will be seeing you again!
P.S. The hotel does allow pets, however, if you have a complaint, it won't be about a dog, but rather people. There were two dogs on our floor, and they were the perfect neighbors!
P.S.S. I am not a huge dog person.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive, stay in a room off of Madison Avenue.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that you have become such a fan of our Upper East Side gem.

We were truly delighted that our spacious and tastefully appointed guest accommodations, featuring our bespoke Duxiana bedding were to your liking. Rest assured we are able to customize your sleep experience and provide pillows that are less firm to ensure that you have a most relaxing and memorable sleep experience.

We will most certainly share your comments with our Café Boulud team; they will be thrilled to learn that your culinary experience exceeded expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and we are thrilled that we will be your home away from home. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed 2 nights atthis hotel on a business trip. Pleasant modern hotel, very welcoming staff. Room very comfortable with plenty of room. Loved the pillows, the shower and the art pieces through the hotel.
I recommend it 100%. Great location, close to nice stores, central park, etc.

Definitely coming back with my family soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our close proximity to Central Park and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue, to our unique design and art collection, to the tastefully appointed details in your accommodation. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional levels of personalized and intuitive service and I was pleased to learn that our colleagues were able to make you feel warm and welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future. Please feel free to call me personally at 646.358.3605 when your travels next bring you to New York City. In the interim, we remain at your service.

nyc
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I love NYC, lived in NYC, the rooms in the Surrey are so comfortable they're like having a pied-à-terre of your own with a comfy bed, classic furniture, lighting panels, and marble bath between Madison Avenue and 5th Avenue. We travel extensively and recommend the Surrey, in particular if you are visiting the Metropolitan.

The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome, in a warm, familiar way. Room service is from Cafe Boulud (Daniel Boulud), the Cafe (restaurant) is adjacent to the cozy lobby - We were not able to get a table at the Cafe, (Valentine's Day) however the dinner we ordered in the room, was so wonderful, we did not feel disappointed at all, but very spoiled and privileged. Our room was on a lower floor so late at night the noise of NY's ubiquitous garbage trucks disturbed my sleep for a short while - so if you can, ask for one of the higher floors, or bring ear plugs.
Recommendations? 10 minute walk to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 3 minutes to Central Park, minutes to the designer boutiques on Madison Avenue (heading south) cafes on Madison (heading north) King room with sitting area, and at least one meal room service or in the restaurant at Boulud.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available; corner suite if possible.
1 Thank bsilver315
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our prime proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue; to our unique design; to the tastefully appointed details in your accommodation, including our bespoke Duxiana bedding and floor to ceiling Carrara marble bathrooms. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional levels of personalized and intuitive service and I was pleased to learn that you were made to feel warm and welcome.

I regret to learn that your sleep was interrupted by the noise pollution emanating from Madison Avenue. Please feel free to call me at 646.358.3605 so I may personally take care of your preference of a higher floor on your return visit. I have also sharedyour comments with our Café Boulud team; they will be thrilled to learn that your culinary experience via In-Room Dining was most memorable.

We sincerely appreciate your high praise and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service