2,050 results
All reviews cafe boulud upper east side central park bar pleiades grand deluxe salon relais chateaux madison avenue rooftop garden new york room service in room dining luxury hotel favorite hotel bottle of champagne wonderful hotel turn down service rooms are large
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at the Surrey for 3 days in January, had a wonderful stay. I was really jet-lagged and an ultra-comfortable bed made all the difference. Needless to say, its perfect location as Madison Ave is around the corner etc.

I would also like to thank Phil at the Spa for the most wonderful back massage - he is truly a professional!

The only downside was the bathroom - did not like the toiletries (things like that make a difference to me) and the bathroom feels a bit old and used.

Otherwise loved it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mashurka
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed in a Ultra Suite for one evening during the week. The property was beautiful with gorgeous decor, a fun bar, and an extremely helpful concierge. However, I did not get a good night's sleep as the mattresses are extremely soft and offer very little back support. If you like a firm mattress this is NOT your hotel.

Room Tip: high floor corner suite had a view of central park, very pretty.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GothamAdventurer
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The Surrey is an expensive Hotel, so don't bother going there if you are on a budget.

If you don't mind paying the price for a fabulous Hotel, this is the place to go. It is understated elegance and has some unique features that have been well thought out. In some respects I felt I was drawing comparisons to London's newly refurbished Savoy Hotel which sets a benchmark for Luxury Hotels.

The Surrey is not a large Hotel but it certainly ticks all of the right boxes.

The rooms are quite individual and have plenty of room. The room had a Duxiana bed which is the most comfortable bed that I have ever had the pleasure to sleep on and I am now considering buying these beds for my Homes.

The room has the usual Luxury Hotel fitments and facilities but the Bathroom needs a special mention. The Bathroom has double sinks plus a double sized shower enclosure with a high power drencher shower and separate handset. The bathroom is a mixture of white and black marble with chrome.Very Stylish.

One thing that amused me was that in the room there were 5 half bottles of spirits in addition to the Mini Bar. One could then choose one's favorite cocktail and the Barman would bring the extra ingredients to the room and show you how mix your cocktail, then leave the ingredients and the part used bottle of spirit so that you could make yourself a few more. All of this for around $48.00 !

The Restaurant room serves a great buffet Breakfast with the option of countless extra dishes at extra cost.We did not use the Restaurant for lunch so cannot comment. Dinner in the Restaurant was superb 'Fine Dining' but remember to wear a jacket. I chose not to wear a tie and felt a little under dressed on the first night, but more comfortable with a tie on the second night.The food is High class French Cuisine.

The Bar area is great as it is split up into small areas and the areas are partly partitioned to give a degree of privacy without being isolated.

All of the staff should be complimented on the service provided and this hotel is one I would definitely return to as I did not have time to visit the rooftop garden and have a drink up there.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent, but some are better than others. Whichever room you have you will not be dissappointed
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TonyMus
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your high praise and generous feedback from your recent stay with us; being compared to The Savoy in London is a tremendous compliment.

We were truly delighted that our tastefully appointed guest accommodations, featuring custom Duxiana bedding and floor to ceiling Carrara marble bathrooms exceeded your expectations. Lauren Rottet, our interior designer was inspired by The Surrey’s authentic bone structure and the tapestry of the neighborhood; she designed the hotel like a family townhouse passed down from generation to generation. We were pleased to learn that she succeeded in her quest and you left very much at home with us.

It is our personalized level of intuitive service that we pride ourselves on and I am proud to learn that our team members were successful in making you feel warm and welcome. We hope that you were able to enjoy our exclusive cocktail program, which brings classic concoctions to you in the comfort and privacy of your guestroom.

We concur that the award winning dining at Café Boulud and innovative libations at Bar Pleiades make for a most memorable gastronomic experience; rest assured we have shared your comments with the culinary team and they are elated that your dining experience was a highlight of your experience.

Your recommendation of The Surrey is very important to us and we thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I just had a wonderful (far too brief) stay at this property last weekend. I used the Hotel Tonight app to book my room, which saved me about $150 off the list price of the room, which still did not make it cheap. But what a worthy splurge! My last-minute reservation hadn't reached the front desk by the time I physically arrived at the hotel, and three apologetic staffers worked in concert to address the situation. Given that I was definitely there on the cheap (compared to the other guests), it was nice to *not* feel like a second class citizen. In fact, this was the place where the minute they learned your name, you were addressed by it the remainder of your time there.

The public spaces are largely done in black white and gray, often with similar toned patterns and textures. The effect is classically elegant, with a slightly modern, very sophisticated look. This decor is carried through to my room.

Room 809 was a grand deluxe salon, with an open northern view showing the backs of the Fifth Ave buildings, the down on the roofs and facades of the adjacent townhouses and over to the Carlyle Hotel Tower. Nice as the view was, the room was so well designed and appointed, you didn't immediately want to look outside. Everything was top of the line, luxurious and well thought out. You did not want for any creature comfort or amenity. Fabulous bed and bedding. Multiple chairs for reading. A marble wet bar. A work desk. All in one open room. The marble bathroom with inlaid mosaic tiling and glass shower (no tub, for those who are curious) was an extra delight. The rain forest shower head almost had too much pressure for me. When have you ever heard that in a hotel review? Turn down at night included dim lights, music, bottled water, slippers and an individually-wrapped sweet. How chic!

The location puts you in the heart of museums, galleries, restaurants and very close to both Central Park and the 77th st stop of the 6 train. Perhaps not the best for those looking for immediate Times Sq./Rockefeller Center type tourist activities, but I don't think that's the demographic for this property.

All in all, major thumbs up. Well worth it.

Room Tip: Higher floors always better. Inquire about a complimentary room upgrade (it worked for me)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Dean R

Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us.

We were thrilled that you enjoyed our close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and several New York City landmarks exceeded your expectations. It is our superior levels of personalized and intuitive service that we pride ourselves on and I was proud that we exceeded your expectations. I was proud that our Guest Services team members were able to immediately accommodate you and ensure a seamless arrival experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel on 23rd Dec for 1 night as we were due to pick up our Cruise Ship the next day in Bayone Port.

What a wonderful stylish hotel. The staff were very attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The room was beautiful and elegant with very high quality furniture. The location was perfect for Central Park with some lovely places to eat and people watch just a few blocks down. We didn't have anything to eat or drink at the hotel, because we were on a budget, but it all looked fabulous.

Would have loved to have been able to have a suite, but we a a double room which was fabulous.

The bed and bedding were just wonderful.

We booked this hotel through our cruise travel agent so not sure how much we paid as it was included in the very expensive package we booked.

Would highly recommend this wonderful hotel.

Happy travelling :-)