I have plenty of negative experiences with Hotels in New York so it was a surprisingly good experience to stay at the Surrey. The rooms are large for New York and the staff very helpful and friendly. Since most of the buildings around are not as high you can get a nice view from your room. The location is great with its proximity to central park. The whole decoration of the hotel is modern but in a comfortable way. We were traveling with a one year old and the staff from cleaning crew to concierge were very helpful, fast and personal which is very unique in New York. The room was very clean. Our bathroom was also relatively big for New York. We stayed over hurricane Irene weekend and although there was minimum personnel the service was still good and our beds got made every day. Very nice is also the roof terrace where drinks and snacks are served. The restaurant of the hotel is a one star Michelin rated place with great food. It's popularity had its drawbacks though since it was basically impossible to just go eat without reservations. Also the hotel lobby is tiny. There are about 4 chairs and a sofa to sit on. Internet was about 60 USD per week (wireless only and not very fast). The spa is very basic but convenient. The business center is below average since printing from your own laptop is basically impossible. There are two computers and two printers that are outsourced to some service provider that charges per minute of computer use and per page printed. For "business" it is useless but for emergency business it should do.
Overall we had a great experience and we were positively surprised by the team of the hotel. I would stay there again and also recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1926 as a residence hotel, the original Surrey was home to many of New York's most eccentric celebrities. JFK, Bette Davis, Claudette Colbert, and other famous faces who recognized the allure of exceptional, discreet service. In re-creating The Surrey, we collaborated with acclaimed interior designer Lauren Rottet of Rottet Studio—to maintain the integrity of The Surrey’s history while modernizing New York's most intimate address. Rottet's inspiration was a New York City townhouse passed down through the generations. The Surrey is New York City’s only Relais & Chateaux boutique hotel, where discreet service allows guests to retreat from the public—and keep a low profile in an otherwise high profile lifestyle. The Surrey is a residential haven and luxury Upper East Side hotel getaway where guests access and revel in what makes New York City special—without compromising calm personal space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City