4,352 results
All reviews rooftop bar haven rooftop times square new york rooms are small continental breakfast bagels door staff our honeymoon brick wall perfect location concierge service rockefeller center fantastic hotel big apple central park around the corner
Reviewed 13 May 2012

As other comments have mentioned, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I, for one, did enjoy the atmosphere of the lobby (modern with Asian influences). BUT, the rooms are very small. Not much room on either side of the bed and hardly any closet space. A big tray occupied the small desk area (I was there for work, so this was annoying) and there was nowhere else to set it. We faced a brick wall, so that was our view. I later found out that if you purchase through a site other than theirs, you get the small and brick-facing rooms (even smaller than the other small rooms mentioned in other comments). Wi-fi was virtually non-existent. Again, I was there for a work conference and still had to work. There was numerous times the network was down. For the price you pay, you should at least have wi-fi that works! Walls keep sound out enough, but the doors are thin and extremely loud when they close. Each morning we had the service staff huddling outside ours, and you could CLEARLY hear everything they were saying...to the extent that that's what we woke up to each morning. Location was very good, which was a plus. Overall, if you plan to not be in your room much this may work for you. If you'll be in your room for anything other than sleeping, go somewhere else for the price...and hopefully you'll get decent wi-fi and breakfast too.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kyle S
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback in regards to your stay.

We always welcome feedback and will use suggestions as a tool to better the services that are provide for our guests. I'd like to apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced with regards to the noise levels in the hallways. Rest assured, that I will address the involved department and my staff accordingly. Additionally, we did have a disruption of service with our internet service provider and have address the issues with the company. We are also in the process of upgrading our bandwidth in efforts of providing even more for our guests.

Our rooms are designed with the intent of maximizing the use of space. Furniture in every guest room have been custom built to utilize every square inch to its full potential. Although our room are not considered large, many would agree that it is common to New York standards. I would like to suggest you try our deluxe rooms which have additional space for added comfort and upgraded amenities. I believe that it would provide you with a stay that would satisfy your needs.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the comfort and design of our lobby and lounge area. We do try and create an atmosphere that is warm, inviting and tranquil which reflects the Sanctuary Hotel name.

We would love for you to give us another opportunity to serve you better. Should your travels bring you back to NYC, please do not hesitate to contact me by emailing jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Staying at Sanctuary was an odd experience. The staff were mostly polite, and very helpful, but the rooms (or should I say boudoirs) are tiny, even poky. The decor is over designed, and there is a feeling of it being staged, as a home for sale might be, rather than designed with guests in mind; For example, in the little space, even one extra bolster which has to be moved around the room so that you can get into the shower only highlights the lack of space - poor design. The common areas of the hotel seemed to want to be a night club, the lighting is kept low all through the day, and though they spout green, eco intentions, one gets the feeling it's all about saving money - an impression which is added to buy the corners cut in the breakfast room, cardboard frozen yoghurt cups instead of bowls, thick stonewear cups to cut down juice portions, and - unforgivably, in New York - stale bagels!
Most annoyingly, the breakfast area is also small, with just a few plastic tables, most pushed together in a common table, which is too close to the buffet to be fully utilised. I did not understand why they could not have a few more plastic tables and spread them into the rather large bar area, just for the morning - rather than asking guest to crouch at coffee tables, or perch on bar stools. It was distressing to watch an elderly couple wandering about with their cardboard cups of cereal, searching for a table, and being directed to the tall bar tables by a young waitress, without an ounce of empathy, or even a wince of apology. The couple politely took the tables, but the fear in the wife's eyes as the elderly man climbed onto the stool was palpable.
The intention of this hotel is clear, but it really does feel like an entrepreneur's first foray into hospitality, and he hasn't quite worked out the priorities. Not recommended for anyone but singles, despite the great location.

Room Tip: One person per room, don't include breakfast.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Danisidhe

I‘d like to apologize that your experience at our unique hotel, did not meet your expectations. It saddens us, as we would like to provide a flawless stay for everyone.

We pride ourselves in being an authentic Manhattan lifestyle boutique hotel, with European inspired hospitality. As you see from our reviews, guests appreciate that we simply strive to provide them with intimate, genuine and personalized service, creating a "home away from home" atmosphere. We wish that the Sanctuary Hotel could be the ideal choice for everyone. However, we understand that different guests have different needs, and that is why we put so much emphasis on creating an experience that is tailored to each individual.

Our rooms are designed with the intent of maximizing use of space and most important…comfort. A warm palette of deep orange, chocolate brown and cognac, highlight our rooms, along with oversized headboards and plush pillow-top mattresses that complement the luxurious Frette sheets, duvets and terry, while crystal chandeliers add glamour that present and overall ambiance that is inviting and warm. Our shower design is something that guests simply rave about, not to mention the actual use of the rainfall shower-head that sends a consistent stream of pressurized warmth down one’s body.

I would also like to point out to our readers, that the energy management system (Evolve) you speak of, is our way of contributing back to mother earth and not a way of saving money. In fact, we are quite the opposite. We provide complimentary breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi and complimentary passes to “Equinox” gym, so we are constantly thinking of ways to add value for our guests. Additionally, we have eco-friendly biodegradable bath amenities, as well as a water conservation program (for our linens) that we implemented to give guests the option of contributing to saving water.

We feel very strongly about the authenticity of our product, and the genuine care that we provide for our guests, so I am especially concerned that you felt that our staff lacked empathy. Additionally, our bagels and pastries are delivered to us fresh every morning and wouldn't settle for anything less that would not reflect the high standards that we set forth. I’d like to thank you for the suggestions that you made in regards to our breakfast area, and will use it as a tool to better the services for our guests.

Our fireplace-adorned lobby and lounge has no intentions of being a club, rather a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city that embodies the Sanctuary Hotel name. Many of our previous guests feel that being literally steps away from Times Square is a luxury in itself.

Guest feedback is always important to us. Being well received, and with so many compliments from our past reviewers, I believe that we are heading in the right direction and will continue to improve upon the services that are provided.

Our intentions are indeed very clear. Whether it’s the design or the service, it will always be with our “guests in mind”.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sanctuary for almost a week in May 2012 during a vacation in NYC. The hotel has many positives that start with a great location just a block from Times Square. The staff is excellent and ever present to keep guests happy. The free continental breakfast was nicely done and valuable considering that this is Manhattan. The hotel was recently rebuilt. The decor is very chic but rather dark. The bathroom was a great design to function in a small space. There were a great number of electrical outlets to power phones and stuff. Each nightstand had its own outlet as did the desk.

I must temper my next comments with the note that this is only my second stay in NYC and that things are different in the city. I may be being unfair by gauging this hotel against others that I have stayed in outside of the city. The room was very small. The hard, desk chair hit the side of the bed when it was pulled out far enough to sit on it. The room was only about twice the width of the queen sized bed. The mattress had a depression that made it uncomfortable. While we could see out of our window, some rooms had windows that looked out to the brick wall of the next structure. The room is better suited for one person. WIFI was provided for free but it was very slow. There was only the 13 over-the- air analog channels on the television. There was no CNN here!

In summary, the hotel is a great place to retreat to after a long day out on the town. It does live up to its name of Sanctuary. However, with its small rooms, limited television, and sometimes claustrophobic brick wall views; don’t spend much time in your room , go out and take a bite out of the Big Apple.

Room Tip: Some rooms have poor views and are very small. Check out a number of rooms before you settle in.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Miner62
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on tripadvisor.

It's nice to know that you enjoyed your overall with us at the Sanctuary Hotel. I'm sorry that you were not as comfortable as you would have liked in your room. We try to maximize use of space in all our rooms, with a design in mind to present a warm, inviting and comfortable atmosphere.

I would suggest that you try out our deluxe rooms during your next visit. I trust that with the additional space and upgrade amenities, it would provide you with a more comfortable stay.

We are currently looking to improve the services that we provide. We are currently in the process of upgrading our internet and cable services so that our guests will have a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

My husband and I just returned from a three-day stay at the Sanctuary Hotel. Beautiful decor, great service and great location ... a short walk to Times Square. Champagne and sweets upon arrival made a lasting impression. We highly recommend Sanctuary and will definitely stay there on future visits to NYC.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rae H
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are glad to know that your 3-day experience at the Sanctuary Hotel was memorable.

We would love for you to come back soon, so that you can enjoy even more of what we have to offer, especially our new rooftop lounge "Haven".

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Staff was very helpful and always polite. Rooms were very clean everyday although they are small it's New York City and still enough room for a couple. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance to almost everything. If you are looking for a comfortable and cozy stay with excellent customer service this is the place.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bfd528

We appreciate your comments and hope that your next stay with the Sanctuary Hotel will be even better.