“Cool, quite and right in the heart fo NYC” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #54 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Milan, Italy
“Cool, quite and right in the heart fo NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel due to different reasons. nice and cool, right in the Heart of NYC (very close to Times Square , to Fifth Avenue and Central Park is just 10 min away), very clean, complementary breakfast and WI FI. Also the staff is listening the customers and makes the best to accomodate your needs. At the beginning we were in a room wich we didn't like and we asked the staff to change. They took our request and after a couple of days they changed our room, even if the hotel was quite full: we apprecaited it a lot.
Price is fair, compared to the expensive hotel in NYC. There is one "negative "aspect. I think the hotel is a bit "dark", light is not the peculiar aspect of this hotel. Anyhow the atmospher is quite cool and I would definetely reccomend this hotel expecially for the position, the staff, the complementary services and the fair price.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank giuseppe_arciero
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us.

We appreciate the feedback. The goal is to create a discrete retreat away from all the hustle and bustle of Times Square. We wanted an atmosphere that would be calm, comforting and a good representation of the Sanctuary feel. The lighting system plays a big role in this and we apologize that it was not to your preference. We will take into consideration your suggestion regarding the lights and make slight adjustments.

We hope that your return to the Sanctuary Hotel, will be in the near future.

Jeremy Poon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

The Sanctuary is exactly that - a little oasis of escapism in the heart of NYC. Funky decor, all chandeliers, flickering fires and Marilyn Monroe movies, perfumed air, bonsai trees and eclectic music. We had a Deluxe Queen-sized room. It was big enough, not huge. Good contemporary decor. A bit dark due to no window. The rainfall shower was simply gorgeous. The en-suite worked for us, but might be pretty tight for those who need plenty of space.
We enjoyed the breakfast - plenty of patisserie, boiled eggs, fresh fruit, cereals and good coffee. The restrooms are pretty good to look at, too. Rudy the Barman lived up to the reputation he enjoys here on TA, and I blame him entirely for the shocking hangover I experienced on my last day. :-)) We also enjoyed the small coffee bar (Lavazza) in the lobby, with delicious financiers and those other tiny cakes (sorry, can't remember the names).

In all, I wouldn't bother considering anywhere else in NYC, but would go straight back here. This hotel played a key part in making our first visit to the city a simply fantastic experience.

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank lynnandystalbans
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I am glad that you were able to try our both our bar lounge as well as our Spresso Cafe. Many guests such as yourself, also enjoy the variety of items that we try and provide for our complimentary breakfast.

We hope to see you back soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sanctuary for 5 nights at the end of April to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary based on all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor.

Booked through a travel agent who had it 'new' on their books this year, I emailed Mr Jeremy Poon the Sanctuary Manager to plan some trips when we were there and he offered to upgrade our room free of charge in recognition of our anniversary, before we travelled we exchanged a few more emails all which were answered promptly.

From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't do enough for us from the Manager taking personal interest in our stay and going out of his way to catch up with us whenever he could, the STAR Managers Jacob and Brandon were exceptional in meeting all our requests and the bartenders Rudy and Patty making us feel welcome and ensuring that our glasses never ran dry.

The high point of our trip - besides NYC - was when the Manager Mr Poon upgraded our room to the hotels only Suite (or Sweet) room 901-2 for 4 out of our 5 night stay. What can I say, it was at the front of the hotel on the 9th floor made of two rooms with sliding partition doors separating the large bedroom from the large lounge area, both rooms had flat screen TVs and two separate toilets, a walk in rain shower in the bedroom and in the lounge a Bose surround sound system with multi CD changer and Blu Ray player.

The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and every afternoon when we got back in the bed was turned down and there was a card left for us telling us what the weather was going to be the next day - a lovely touch.

All in all the holiday was made by the quality of service given by the hotel, if I had one regret it was that we missed the opening of the roof top bar by 2 days - in New York any outdoor space is a premium and this will be a big draw for the hotel.

Would we go back? - Yes

Would we recommend it? - Yes

What was the best part? - The helpful and professional staff

Who would I single out for a mention? - Rudy and Brandon, both worthy of the name STARs

Room Tip: Check before you go if an upgrade is available.
2 Thank Newbie57B
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for sharing such a fantastic review about us on tripadvisor.

Knowing that you and your wife had such a wonderful experience is the biggest compliment that we can receive. I was happy to have the opportunity to meet with the both of you and truly appreciate the feedback that you gave our team.

Brandon and Jacob will be delighted to read your comments in regards to the service that they provide.

We hope to see your return soon so that you can experience "Haven" our rooftop lounge at the Sanctuary during your next visit.

Roseville, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed two nights here, and it was great, Perfect, perfect Time Square location, great service, they even have door men... The bar tender Rudy, added the finishing touches to our NY experience, We would now call him our friend from brooklyn! The true boutique Hotel experience.. Rob Popham

Room Tip: The rooms are on the smaller side, ( but it is NYC) But perfect perfect size for a couple in love...
1 Thank Rob P
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Rudy will be excited to read about your comments!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for four nights this past month. Overall, the experience was good and I would stay at the hotel again.

The location of the hotel is excellent - about a block from Times Square and easy walking distance to other attractions, such as Rockefeller Centre, Central Park, and the Empire State Building. If you like walking, you can also walk to the Met or Museum of Natural History in about half an hour.

Our room had two double beds in it. I have to say the bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in - even more so than my bed at home. The room itself was very nice...although the only window looked at a brick wall, so the room was pretty dark. It was on the small side, but we were okay with that. There was a big flatscreen t.v. The bathroom was also very nice, with a great rainfall shower. We were right next to the elevator and didn't have any problems with noise from it...however, on the first night there, we could hear the bass from the music playing downstairs and that was a little annoying.

The room also had some sort of air unit that was loud and kept on blowing cold air onto us. No matter how much we fiddled with the temperature control in the room we couldn't get it to stop.

The continental breakfast is not very good...the food selection is limited and the coffee was terrible. We only ate it our first morning there and then the rest of the trip ate elsewhere. Also, other than the breakfast, there is no food service at all at the hotel (unless you count the minibar in the rooms).

The one big problem with our stay came when I needed to get a cab downtown. I asked the doorman at the hotel to get me one and a few minutes later he directed me to a towncar. I didn't think much of it until I got downtown and asked how much the ride was...the driver asked me what the hotel told me it would be and I said they didn't tell me anything. The driver then told me that it would be $30. I was shocked because I knew it shouldn't be that much (especially since he'd managed to get lost going downtown)...but didn't have time to argue so just paid. My concern I was overcharged was vindicated when the ride back to the hotel in a taxi cost $12. I went to complain to the front desk about what happened earlier...but the employee seemed indifferent and my request to speak to a manager went unheeded.

Other than that problem, I'd recommend the hotel to anyone...but if the hotel arranges transportation, make sure you specify that you either want a yellow cab or, if you're getting a town car, make sure you know before getting in how much you'll be charged.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank WanderlustTO
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your time with us.

I'm happy that you enjoyed your overall stay, however I would like to apologize for the few challenges that you faced. Rest assured that we have already looked into the temperature control system and made the necessary adjustments.

Many reviewers have enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and I'm sorry that it did not fit your needs. We try and provide a variety of pastries, and beverage options, along with cereal and hard boiled eggs (which are always a hit). We appreciate the feedback and will always look into options of providing more.

In regards to your towncar transportation, I'd like to apologize if our staff member was not clear in providing the pricing for you. These fares are determined by the towncar services and not by the hotel. There are certain hours of the day, where our doorman know that hailing a taxi is a great challenge. Since taxi cabs can not be called upon request in NYC, one option is to hail one of the towncar services that might happen to have dropped off a guest to the hotel. Private car services are usually more in terms of pricing when compared to yellow taxi cabs.

However, I am truly sorry that this was not made clear to you and I will surely address my management team in terms of their response efforts.

We appreciate the fact that you would still recommend the Sanctuary Hotel, despite the few hiccups. Should your travels bring you back to NYC, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make sure that your next experience will be wonderful.