“A Nice Stay with a Couple of Problems...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #56 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“A Nice Stay with a Couple of Problems...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for four nights this past month. Overall, the experience was good and I would stay at the hotel again.

The location of the hotel is excellent - about a block from Times Square and easy walking distance to other attractions, such as Rockefeller Centre, Central Park, and the Empire State Building. If you like walking, you can also walk to the Met or Museum of Natural History in about half an hour.

Our room had two double beds in it. I have to say the bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in - even more so than my bed at home. The room itself was very nice...although the only window looked at a brick wall, so the room was pretty dark. It was on the small side, but we were okay with that. There was a big flatscreen t.v. The bathroom was also very nice, with a great rainfall shower. We were right next to the elevator and didn't have any problems with noise from it...however, on the first night there, we could hear the bass from the music playing downstairs and that was a little annoying.

The room also had some sort of air unit that was loud and kept on blowing cold air onto us. No matter how much we fiddled with the temperature control in the room we couldn't get it to stop.

The continental breakfast is not very good...the food selection is limited and the coffee was terrible. We only ate it our first morning there and then the rest of the trip ate elsewhere. Also, other than the breakfast, there is no food service at all at the hotel (unless you count the minibar in the rooms).

The one big problem with our stay came when I needed to get a cab downtown. I asked the doorman at the hotel to get me one and a few minutes later he directed me to a towncar. I didn't think much of it until I got downtown and asked how much the ride was...the driver asked me what the hotel told me it would be and I said they didn't tell me anything. The driver then told me that it would be $30. I was shocked because I knew it shouldn't be that much (especially since he'd managed to get lost going downtown)...but didn't have time to argue so just paid. My concern I was overcharged was vindicated when the ride back to the hotel in a taxi cost $12. I went to complain to the front desk about what happened earlier...but the employee seemed indifferent and my request to speak to a manager went unheeded.

Other than that problem, I'd recommend the hotel to anyone...but if the hotel arranges transportation, make sure you specify that you either want a yellow cab or, if you're getting a town car, make sure you know before getting in how much you'll be charged.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank WanderlustTO
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your time with us.

I'm happy that you enjoyed your overall stay, however I would like to apologize for the few challenges that you faced. Rest assured that we have already looked into the temperature control system and made the necessary adjustments.

Many reviewers have enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and I'm sorry that it did not fit your needs. We try and provide a variety of pastries, and beverage options, along with cereal and hard boiled eggs (which are always a hit). We appreciate the feedback and will always look into options of providing more.

In regards to your towncar transportation, I'd like to apologize if our staff member was not clear in providing the pricing for you. These fares are determined by the towncar services and not by the hotel. There are certain hours of the day, where our doorman know that hailing a taxi is a great challenge. Since taxi cabs can not be called upon request in NYC, one option is to hail one of the towncar services that might happen to have dropped off a guest to the hotel. Private car services are usually more in terms of pricing when compared to yellow taxi cabs.

However, I am truly sorry that this was not made clear to you and I will surely address my management team in terms of their response efforts.

We appreciate the fact that you would still recommend the Sanctuary Hotel, despite the few hiccups. Should your travels bring you back to NYC, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make sure that your next experience will be wonderful.

Jeremy Poon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed at the Sanctuary Hotel for 6 nights recently. This was our first trip to New York and one of the best holidays we have ever had. The hotel is beautiful, clean and in a fantastic location. The staff were attentive and so friendly. We spent each evening when we arrived back in the hotel bar with the most charming young man named Rudy. Perfection all round!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank highashes
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your 6-night stay with us. Knowing that this experience with us is one of the best holidays you even had, motivates us to do even better.

We hope that you will think of the Sanctuary Hotel, the next time you plan a trip for the holidays.

Beachwood, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We just returned from a fantastic 3 night stay at the Sanctuary Hotel! I hadn't been to New York in quite some time, I traveled with my husband and our 8 year old son. We booked 2 rooms, 1 for us and 1 for another son and daughter in law meeting us from CT. We were all very happy with the room size and amenities! We were close to everything, walked mostly everywhere! The Sanctuary team of employees are the best! Everyone flocked to help at every moment! They were knowledgable with dining options/reservations, shows, shopping, directions, etc... Our 8 year old made a new best friend with Freddie one of the S.T.A.R. managers! Freddie gave us many ideas on "secret" points of interests to entertain Jonah. Jimmy the concierge was definitely helpful with hooking us in to the Sanctuary...he answered many phone calls from my husband who had many questions and Jimmy was always pleasant and helpful! We loved the atmosphere of the building, it kept us relaxed at the times we had to rest. The breakfast was a perfect way to start the day! Can't Thank you enough, we'll be back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michele K
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We are happy to hear that your entire family enjoyed your time with us and especially with your your son Jonah having a connection with Freddie.

Our S.T.A.R. team really focuses on providing everyone with a unique stay and an experience that is unforgettable.

Jimmy will also be pleased to read about your comments.

We hope to have you all back soon.

Warm Regards,

Linz, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We spent the days around New years Eve in N.Y. Sanctuary Hotel is.familiar and luxury. About 50 m away from Times Square we were right in the center, close to the major Subway Lines and in the middle of the theater district. The Service is friendly, helpful and is able to provide you with every information necessary for discovering N.Y.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aknierzinger
Hearing from a guest that they felt the Sanctuary was the "best place to stay in Manhattan" is one of the best compliments a guest could give.

We're glad you enjoyed your visit to the Sanctuary Hotel and hope that your next experience will be even better.

Pullman, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We spent two nights at The Sanctuary Hotel, just one block east of the Times Square. It is inconspicuous but right in the middle of everything. The staff were incredible from the moment our taxi pulled up. The maitre d'/concierge had us in stitches the whole time - what a fun and friendly man! The entire staff was very attentive, helpful and friendly. Our room on the 6th floor overlooking 47th Street was small but we had plenty of room for our 5 large pieces of luggage (we'd just come off of a 17-day cruise) plus the two of us. Everything throughout the hotel and in our room was very clean and the beds and shower were fantastically comfortable. The lighting in the hotel is quite dark, but this is likely because they are truly working on being a "sanctuary" amidst the hustle and bustle of midtown Manhattan - and they succeed at that. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for quiet time and an extremely convenient, central location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sundance-aroo
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

Jimmy will also be pleased to read about your comments.

We hope to have you all back soon.

Warm Regards,