4,348 results
All reviews rooftop bar haven rooftop times square new york rooms are small continental breakfast bagels door staff our honeymoon brick wall perfect location concierge service rockefeller center fantastic hotel big apple central park around the corner
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Nice staff, comfortable beds, sheets and decent location- no gym on premises but they allow use of one just a few blocks away, good happy hour in the lobby- room was very quiet which is great in the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thank you for providing us with feedback in regards to your visit at the Sanctuary Hotel.

For your future travels, I would suggest that you give our Deluxe Rooms a try. I trust that the additional space and upgraded amenities will give you an even better experience with us.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Who knew.. right in mid-town Manhattan and steps away from Times Square is an immaculately clean, affordable and comfortable sanctuary. Outside of wonderful bed, clean rooms, wi-fi, desks, breakfast buffet, central location was the topper.. the service. Every single person from the doorman, to the front desk, to the bartender, barrista and wonderful people who clean the rooms.. were all friendly, accomodating and engaging. And then there is the ultimate concierge..service. What a gem. Thank you for making our business stay, unbelievably pleasurable. In the end.. it's how they made you feel. I felt like I was staying with good friends. Thank you.

1  Thank Shellarama

Thank you for your feedback.

We are happy that we could make your business stay pleasurable and we hope to see you again soon, so that you can experience the comfort of the Sanctuary at a leisure level.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Traveled here with my girlfriend and we stayed for 4 nights. This is the third hotel I've stayed in New York, and by far the best one.

The location can't be beaten, it's on one of the side streets from Times Square and it takes you around 45 seconds to stand in the middle of Times Square. Although it's in a very "hectic" location you never notice it. Inside the hotel it's really relaxed and the whole atmosphere really takes you away from all the stress that New York can be.

Our room was pretty small, but still it was extremely comfortable. The bad thing about the room is that we were located on the 8th floor, away from almost all street noise but there was a church just beside our window which woke us up every morning when the bells started ringing. Pretty annoying but nothing that makes you frustrated. Only that did make me frustrated was the AC, it was extremely loud and pointed right at the bed so we always had it turned off, but I dont know what it was but it would almost always just turn it back on at random times, f.x. in the middle of the night so we would wake up from the noise, and freezing.

The service at the hotel was as good as it gets. Julio at the door I had most interactions with and he was a pleasure to talk to. But every single person we interacted with the hotel were so friendly and it really felt like they wanted you to feel welcome and have your stay as perfect as possible.

We only went to the hotel bar 1 time because they didn't serve Mojito which is our drink of choice so that was kind of strange for a such a well stocked bar. Should mention that the man at the bar though (didn't catch his name) was super friendly and pleasure to be around and seemed to have a lot of fun with all the persons there.

The free-wifi and breakfest included is also very nice. We both actually loved the simple breakfest and I was actually just looking forward to waking up in the morning and grabbing myself a toasted bagle with creame cheese and freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee.

All in all, I would definetely reccomend this hotel to anyone travelling to New York, especially if they want to stay right in the action but still have a place of quiet available to them.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valdimar J
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

I apologize if the church bells caused any inconvenience to your stay and we will address the heating problem you experienced.

Julio and the rest of the staff will be pleased to read about your comments.

We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I found a good online discount on a room for the Sanctuary Hotel, so I booked it for a business meeting I had. I did some background checking, and read about it having been completely remodeled, prior to the opening. The location is excellent! Proximate to Times Square, but removed from the madding crowd; close to 30 Rock, and 5th Avenue. The remodeling was very well done – the spaces are very cool, and atmospheric, so the hotel feels very boutiquey, like a little jewel tucked into a bustling location. Although, I may have jumped the shark – age-wise; the light levels are so low in the hallways that I had a hard time finding the key slot in my room’s front door to get in! That aside, the rooms themselves are very nicely done, and come with free wi-fi. Lovely bed provied a great night's sleep - i hit my snooze the next morning and i never do that! the shower was roomy and well-detailed. My room (610) was very small, as it was tucked near the center of the building. My colleague’s room (313) was on the front of the building and really nicely sized – large, and light-filled, and had the benefit of the flowers over the hotel entry below - ask for that one. The best part of the hotel stay, however, was the service. Although the lobby had espresso and pastries in the morning, we were looking for a place for breakfast (there were two directly across the street), and my colleague mentioned that she was trying to find a place with iced tea. The fellow behind the desk offered to go find her one and bring it back. It was lovely and he said, “Use me! That’s why I’m here” , and you really got the feeling that he was sincere and everyone there had the same attitude. Every person that we came in contact with during our stay could not have been nicer! While the hotel has much to recommend (décor, location, etc.) the staff here really makes a difference! I WILL be back in the future, and would recommend it highly to my friends.

Room Tip: First, ask for a room on the front of the hotel (i.e. 313, 413, 513, 613, if you're used to city sounds), as they are larger and have a give a feeling of being in the thick of it. Second, ask for a room at the end of the hallway on the back side of the hotel as they are also larger. The internal rooms by the stair are very small, and have no view.
1  Thank Carol R

I'm happy to hear that the comfort of the room provided you with a great night's sleep.

The next time you come back, you should definitely try our deluxe rooms, like your colleague did. With the added amenities and the additional space, I trust that the experience will cause you to "hit your snooze" more than once.

Thank you for choosing the Sanctuary Hotel as your choice of stay in New York City.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Having traveled to Manhattan numerous times over the years for both business and pleasure I've stayed in all types of hotels ranging from grungy touristy establishments to high end famous five star properties. Sanctuary Hotel was an excellent combination of everything I want in my midtown Manhattan accommodations.

My girlfriend and I knew that we'd be arriving in the city long before the standard check in time and requested an early check in though I had no expectation of actually getting our room at eleven in the morning. I was pleasantly surprised when we were told our room was ready. While a bit on the small side, our room was beautifully appointed and incredibly comfortable. Most importantly to my girlfriend, it was immaculately clean. Our room was on the fifth floor facing 47th Street and we had no real issue with noise. As many have previously stated the sinks and shower are actually in the room with the option of pulling a curtain for privacy. This wasn't an issue for us but worth noting. The toilet is separate behind a sliding wood door. I would have preferred to have had more places to hang wet towels.

The location simply couldn't be better. The craziness that is Times Square is less than a block from the hotel door but I never felt like I was anywhere near that circus when at Sanctuary. The 49th Street subway stop is a two minute walk away and allowed us to get wherever we wanted to go without having to fight our way through Times Square to get to the 42nd Street station. Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station, Central Park, Hell's Kitchen, Penn Station, and Madison Square Garden are among the attractions within easy walking distance. Since Sanctuary is right in the heart of the theater district we knew that we'd have a short walk no matter which show we opted to see. I would advise first time New York travelers to go a few blocks east or west of Times Square when looking for places to eat. The food is a whole lot less expensive and generic than what you find immediately surrounding Times square.

The staff at the hotel was absolutely wonderful. I'm embarrassed that I don't remember the names of all that helped us throughout our stay but that has nothing to do with them. From check in to breakfast in the morning to holding our bags for us after check out, everything went seamlessly. The staff is a huge asset at this property and I'm sure management understands that.

Overall the stay was everything I could have hoped for. The little touches like the thick soft paper towels in the lobby men's room reinforce that the details matter at Sanctuary. We are already planning our next trip to New York and you can be sure we'll be staying at Sanctuary.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill6118
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

We truly appreciate the detailed feedback.

When guests take the time out of their busy lives to share their experiences at the Sanctuary Hotel, it motivates us to do even better. Reviews like this, definitely points us in the right direction and we can continue to build on that.

I am happy to hear that you and your girlfriend, thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Thank you and we hope that your next stay will be even better.