“FANTASTIC HOTEL AND FANTASTIC STAFF!!!”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #70 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed at Sactuary hotel with my wife from 27th February until 4th March (6 nights). I was aware of the excellent location because we had stayed at a nearby hotel last year on the same street as Sanctary, but chose to stay here because of some great reviews. It was my wifes 30th birthday during our stay in NYC and prior to us travelling from the UK I emailed the hotel's S.T.A.R experience staff to see about having a birthday cake and a bottle in the room as a surprise for my wife for when we arrived. I received a number of replies from Freddie Floyd who is one of the hotel's concierge staff and my request was promptly organised without any hassle or fuss. Freddie kept me upto date with how things were progressing and emailed me on the day of arrival to confirm that the cake would be in our room after 1pm. I got the impression that whatever I wanted, Freddie could probably get me. The hotel itself is located under a one minutes walk before you get onto times square and right in thr heart of the action so if thats what you want then the location simply cannot be beaten. On our arrival at the hotel (around 430pm) we had our bags carried in by the door staff who were very friendly and accomodating. We were checked into the hotel by Kimberley who was again friendly and efficient and we were allocated room 408 which is on the fourth floor and this is a Queen superior room, our luggage was carried up by the front of house staff (Richard I think was his name) There are two lifts at the hotel although one of these was out of order during our stay but that wasn't a problem. The interior of the hotel is superb, there is low lighting in the lobby and bar areas but this for me just adds to the overall atomosphere of the hotel and indeed its name. You feel so relaxed in there away from the busy streets of Times Square, everywhere is so clean and tidy (and I mean everywhere) and it is all very stylish inside. The warmth you get on arrival from staff and the surroundings just cannot be beaten and I was overwelmed by this. At the rear of the hotel is a bar area, the staff we had the most interactions with were Rudy who is an absolute top man and great bartender, he's very witty and funny but also professional. We had a lot of good laughs with Rudy who if he reads this will know who we are I'm sure when I say we got lost in Brooklyn but thats another story. He has time for everyone and was chatting to all hotel guests and making them feel warm and very welcome. Patty again is really welcoming and always is friendly and she is a very efficient bartender. My wife and I had some very good nights sat talking to Rudy and Patty when they were working the bar. We also met Olga who is the newest member of bar staff but again from the dealings we had with her we can have no complaints at all. All of the bar staff are top class and the hotel should be proud to have people like them working there. Rudy was on the last night before we left and we do miss the late night chats we had with him and the other bar staff so keep up the good work. The bar stays open to around 11pm although this depends on how busy it is. There is a happy hour between 4pm-7pm. The hotel also offers hot and cold snacks and from what we sampled these are very nice too. Our hotel room was large enough for ourselves, I had read people saying rooms were small but certainly the queen superior is more than ample and very very comfortable. The isn't a separate bathroom but a dividing curtain which pulls across the large shower, the toilet is separate and privacy is in the form of a sliding door, this doesn't have a lock on (at least ours didn't) but again this wasn't any concern for us. There is a small wardrobe space with some drawers, a safe, iron/ironing board and a hairdryer also in the room. There is a flat screen tv on the wall (32" I believe) and this comes with a variety of tv channels, also there are some snacks and a refridgerator in the room if required. As stated earlier the birthday cake I had organised through Freddie was in the room along with a bottle of sparkling wine and a birthday card signed by some of the staff and this just made our arrival extra special and it made us feel special which I know that the hotel aims to give each guest that star treatment hence their S.T.A.R experience managers, so my advice is please use them. The hotel has free wi-fi which I used on a regular basis and you also get a free breakfast which consists of a choice of cereals, juices, tea, fruit, toast, bagels, a variety of pastries, hard boiled eggs amongst other things but for someone who last time I was in New York I ate breakfast out each day as I fancied the fried breakfast, at Sanctuary I ate in each day apart from the last day but breakfast was very nice and there was a good choice of things to eat. The staff just seem to genuinely care about the guests, and I have read one review recently which said they believed that the staff were false, I don't believe that at all, from what I saw and experienced the staff at this hotel are totally genuine with guests and they are providing a service from the heart and really show how things should be done. You are greeted each time you come into the hotel, and acknowledged as you leave and I can say that happened each an everytime and thats good, nothing wrong with that, it makes you feel special and welcome. One night we were sat at the bar and Jacob who is a S.T.A.R experience manager came over and started talking to us, giving us ideas what we wanted to do, asked if there was anything at all he could do for us to let him know, now that for me is service and its how things should be done.
I hadn't actually spoken to Freddie in person until the last day of our stay but I wanted to thank him for organising the cake etc, he remembered my name and my wifes name and bearing in mind how many guests he would have spoken to and dealt with over the period of our stay I was really impressed, he is really infectious and is such a likeable chap and I wish we had spoken with him before the last day.
I am aware that a rooftop bar is in the process of being built at the hotel aswell as having a restaurant (I have based my restaurant score on the breakfast) on site and this can only enhance the experience further, I don't know when these are due to be open or at what stage they are at and I didn't see any obvious work going on that was visible to guests as has been commented on by other reviewers but keep checking the website for details of these.
Overall I really cannot fault or say anything negative about the hotel and the vast majority of the reviews speak for themselves. Staff - fantastic. Hotel - fantastic. Need I really say more?
I do hope that comments do get passed onto the individual members of staff who we personally came into contact with during our stay because people are sometime quick to be critical but praise should be given where praise is due. Thanks again.
Jason & Caroline Quye

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jaseace
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

I am simply just lost for words. We can't thank you enough for sharing your wonderful experience at the Sanctuary Hotel.

We are glad that you choose the Sanctuary as the place to celebrate your wife's 30th birthday. The staff strive to provide an experience like no other and in this case we succeeded. The S.T.A.R. (Service Tailored to Any Request) experience philosophy is to provide a visit that is tailored and personalized to each guest's individual needs. We work very hard at accomplishing this for all our guests.

Jacob, Rudy, Patty, Olga and Richard will all be very pleased to read about your great feedback. Freddie will also be excited about it as well and if you were not able to meet him this visit - we will make sure that you get the chance to see him when you return.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Located on West 47th St., just a half block from the TKTS booth (which you can practically see from the hotel's steps), lies the minimally marked, but dramatically lit, Sanctuary hotel. At night with its uplit facade, carved wooden doors and red carpeted stairs, it looks more like a nightclub than a hotel.

The exterior must have been a deliberate choice, because the public spaces inside share this modernized baroque style. I affectionately dubbed it "Cher Meets the Jetsons." The front-to-back lounge has dim lights, dark, vibrant saturated color palette, ornate crystal chandeliers, seating nooks, multiple glass-fronted fireplaces and a tufted leather reception desk staffed by very friendly, enthusiastic workers. Though I didn't have extensive dealings with the folks there, they seemed super helpful, as I heard them working closely with other guests regarding airport transportation and local activities while I was checking in and out.

I opted for a $30/night king room upgrade to Room 301. The design motifs carried through to the room with the floor to ceiling tufted leather headboard and crystal chandelier. The room was quite spacious, for this property if not NY in general, with every nook used wisely to maximize storage. I had two windows overlooking 47th, which did make for some noise, but nothing that anyone used to a city would find excessive. The sort of free-floating glass cube rainforest shower was lovely, but may not be for everyone. If you were a couple this could be quite inspirational. I don't know if the double bedded rooms have this feature, but despite the presence of a curtain to draw around the exterior of the cube for privacy, this would be a weird setup for people traveling with children.

Each night of my two night stay, I had drinks with local friends at the bar. Cool setup, but it need some polishing. Night one, the bartender opted to yell over to us for our drink orders instead of coming over to get them. Night two the bartender lacked any ice for drinks. Really? A bar without ice probably needs a little more organization in the back. Though both people were pleasant, this was a weak link in the chain of experiences.

In short, the design choices were bold, but well done. The staff and location were superlative. The breakfast is a good deal for the price point, though the bar needs a little more polishing in some of its practices. I could easily recommend this hotel to most people for that, but with the slight warning it might not be the best place for families.

Room Tip: Rooms up front have 47th street noise, but they also have more space, light and room than others. A...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Dean R

Thank you for taking the time to write such a descriptive and detailed review about your experience with us at the Sanctuary Hotel.

Knowing that guests of ours truly appreciate thought and effort that we put into creating the Sanctuary experience, is the best compliment that we could possibly receive.

We can't wait to have you back with us.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Let me start out by saying that I travel regularly. I travel mostly for businesss. I now have a new hotel recommendation that is rivaled by none.

Upon my arrival, I was met by the best doorman that I have ever encountered. The hotel was busy with guests needing baggage help, requesting taxi transport, and enterring/exiting the hotel. Jose was managing all the requests with a "Can Do" attitude and a smile. He is incrediblely polite. I believe that he is not just an employee of the hotel, but rather an investment that they have made to deliver a great experience to all of their guests. The doorman is critical to a hotel's image due to the fact that they are typically the first employee that you encounter and the last. They could not have made a better selection.

I was soon joined by my better half. The plan was that she would site see while I was spending my day handling business. On her first day, she met with Freddie. Freddie gave her simple and effective directions that allowed her to navigate throughout the local area and enjoy some of the NYC beauty. Freddie made his interaction with her a memorable experience and it was filled with laughs as he allowed his incredible personality to shine in all of their conversations!

The hotel staff soon embraced her and she had just about the entire staff engaged in conversations and even high fiving her as she walked by!

We spent most of the evenings in the surrounding areas. The hotel boasts an incredible location and made visiting most of midtown very easy. One evening, we spent time at the bar. Patty was an incredible bartender and made the evening a joyful memory spent chatting with her and other guests. She was incredible!

This was such a great choice in hotel!!!

Yes, the room was small. It didn't matter.

The location was great. A half block from Times Square was perfect.

This is the most incredible staff that I have experienced nationwide.

Sanctuary has made an investment in the right people at this location.

I am now a NYC Sanctuary loyal guest, Thanks to Jose, Freddie, Robert, Patty, Kim, and all of the other high fivers.

Thank you for an incredible experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Jason G

We are so happy that we were able to provide you with "The Most Incredible Hotel Experience".

It brings us great joy whenever guests are able to come to the Sanctuary Hotel and have such a memorable visit with us. The entire staff puts forth such great effort in doing everything possible to create an experience unique to each person's stay.

Jose, Freddy and Patty will be very happy to read about the fantastic comments that you expressed in regards to the service they provided.

We hope to have you both back soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We just got home from our weekend in New York. We weren't sure about the hotel since I booked it on the internet. What a treat. The exterior of the 106 year old building has a great charm. The inside is completely redone into a modern, funky decor. The room was cruise ship small, but well done and well appointed. There was a huge leather headboard. The bathroom and shower were tiled in a leather-look porcelain. The shower had a wonderful rain head.

The staff was great. The concierges, Freddy and Brandon, were pleasant and helpful. Brandon sat with us at the bar and got to know us and then made our dinner reservations for us. The Siberian bartender was also great, though I neglected to get her name. That may have had something to do with the drinks she was pouring! Breakfast was included in the price of the room. They had a very nice continental breakfast.

If I had any complaints, it would be the cleaning crew were awfully loud for 8:00 on a Sunday morning. We may have been in the city that doesn't sleep, but we do.

But, we will be back. We spent part of our drive home planning our next trip to NY.

Room Tip: Remember that when you come to New York, you don't come to spend all your time in your room. You...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chuck P
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

It's simply great when we are able to exceed guest expectations. We are very happy that your experience with us was a pleasant surprise.

Many reviewers would agree that they too enjoy the warm and inviting decor, as well as the fact that we maximize the use of space in our rooms.

Freddie and Brandon will be very pleased to see your comments about them, as they work very hard to provide all our guests with a unique and memorable experience. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that the morning housekeeping staff may have caused. They are busy bees in the morning and want to ensure that all our guests are taken care of.

We hope to have you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We booked The Santuary Hotel long before the refurb was completed & there were just artist impessions on the internet. It was a bit of a gamble but due to the location we decided to go ahead & hope for the best. We were not disappointed.

Getting there: The hotel would be really easy to find by taking the airtrain from the airport & then the subway, with a bit of pre planning the subway takes within a few streets of the hotel. The streets can be a bit of a struggle with a case but only costs £7 one way. We booked a transfer from the airport to the hotel which took over 3 hours but took the trains back (at the recommendation of one of the hotel porters). It was really easy & took about an hour.

Location: The location is fantastic, just around the corner from most 'must see' attractions. Steps away from Time Square. You can do a lot on foot but the hotel is near lots of subways stops for further away attractions.

Hotel:The hotel is a very comfortable. Th staff are all very pleasant. Rooms are on the smaller side as mentioned by previous reviewers but not too small....you are in New York so why would you need lots of room space you have enough to do that you barely need to see the room. Rooms are very clean & beds & pillows are really comfortable. The added bonus of free breakfast was great...it was not that fancy but more than what we were offered elsewhere when looking around. Bagels, muffins, toast, cereals & some fruits, along with teas, coffee or juice, a decent start to a day walking.

We do not tend to visit places more than once but if we were to come back to New York, we would definately stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: The lift is a little squeaky so if you are a light sleeper it may be worth asking for one a few door...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kartyflim

We are happy that your experience with us exceeded your expectations.

At the Sanctuary Hotel, the staff makes every effort to provide a unique visit for all our guests. We strive to always leave our guests with an lasting impression. Having a fantastic and convenient location...is just a bonus.

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback with us.