“Good Enough”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #194 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My room, unlike a fellow reviewer's, did have curtains to block out the light. It was a nice Marriott room. The maid on the first day laid out all of my toiletries nicely, and I appreciated that. Other than check-in, I had no contact with any of the staff in the lobby for my five day stay. I had asked for a room away from the Memorial and got it, so it was nice and quiet. No complaints!

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the 9/11 Memorial and associated construction noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nothing wrong with this Marriott. Standard. I slept like a baby. v close to 9/11 memorial, Century 21. closest subway is Rector Street (1,2,or 3 line), Chambers street not far. I want to say a special thanks to Kevin at the front desk for sending up chocolate covered strawberries and water after he learned of a difficult and frustrating taxi ride to the hotel.
You can close the curtains and block out light. it is past the sheer curtain. You have to look.
Note: no hotel taxi/mini van service to JFK.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HMBoston
Reviewed 22 April 2012

On business for a few days, great location. A long haul from LGA, next time will fly into Newark. Staff was not really all that nice (but it's New York....) so considering the location, I did get good service (but no smiles). I ran into a cab drive I had met before, and he agreed to come get me the following day; the bell captain was VERY cool in allowing my Taxi to hold curbside while I checked-out...he did not have to do that since there is always a huge taxi line. The property is just a few yards from the 911 memorial visitors entry, so the taxi line for the hotel can get pretty long at times. I will stay here again when in the financial district.

Room Tip: Views of East River has peaks at Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BienVago
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The Marriott Downtown is everything you would expect of an NYC Marriott. It's large, clean, without character, and the service is OK, but not great. Although booked off Priceline, my room was larger than one would expect for an NYC room. The view was nothing special (nothing compared to some of the stunning views of the 9/11 memorial at the nearby Millenium Hilton).

The location is really dependent on what you're looking to do. If you're working in the area, the location's fine. If you want to be mobbed by sweaty tourists outside trying to see the nearby 9/11 memorial, it's good for that as well. Otherwise, the Financial District is somewhat limited. That said, there's nearby subway access, and it's not that far to walk to greener pastures in TriBeCa and even the West Village.

Service, as is often the case for Marriotts, was the weak point here. There is no one to open the hotel doors, which makes simply entering the hotel tricky of you have two large suitcases (I know, I'm an idiot). The front desk is overstaffed, but moves glacially. When I ordered food delivery, the delivery man was not permitted to come upstairs, despite there being absolutely no security measures on the elevators, which meant that absolutely anyone could have gone up. Finally, when leaving my bags in the lobby before heading out to brunch, I had to wait over 5 minutes for bell staff to show up. The front desk staff, who were entirely unoccupied, watched as a line formed behind me. Rather than do anything to remedy the situation, they told me someone would be there momentarily (not true), and giggled.

Would I come back? Yes, if the price is right. Would I pay a standard rate? No.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank ItinerantNewYorker
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed in NY at the downtown Marriott for a week for a work trip. I had a couple of choices about where to stay and chose the Marriott because I've enjoyed their properties elsewhere. I felt envious of colleagues who stayed nearby, as my experience in NY was a total letdown and nothing like I am used to from the brand.
It would be fair to say the approach to staffing and service is 'minimalist' here - there are not a lot of people to help with anything and the lobby lead me to believe the place was a bit tired and careworn. I was given free Wireless access because I am a Marriott Elite member, but it has been spotty at best and non-existent at other times. The coverage keeps dropping out and I could not log on to my laptop one evening at all, which meant I could not work.
The room is a very generous size for NY and the decor is fine, but inexpensive looking. I have struggled a bit with the fact that there are no curtains or blinds to pull at night - fabulous for resetting your circadian rhythms to help with jetlag, but not so good for actually getting to sleep with the light from the building next door shining in my face.
The bathrooms are largish and just ok, but the showerhead in the shower-over-bath hits me at mid-chest height and makes washing my hair a challenge. The hot water has been spotty and 2-3 times I had a cold shower, which was challening in the changable spring temperature.
My room is right by the lift, which means I get to share in the conversations happening outside my door as other guests arrive back at their rooms at varying times through the night.
The other facilities are fine, but the closet is extremely small and I struggled to hang a weeks worth of clothes. The towels are somewhat threadbare, but changed daily and the bed was very comfortable.
The hotel is very close to subways and the World Trade Memorial, plus Century 21 department store, if you're interested in these things.
Overall this seemed like a budget experience and not what I've come to expect from the Marriott brand and certainly not worth the price my company is being charged. I'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business