“Great value and stay”

Ranked #167 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great value and stay”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

A friend and I stayed here for our first trip to NYC. We had a great experience. No difficulties and staff was very polite and helpful. Convenient location and would return!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This Hampton Inn was conveniently located in NYC for taking in Broadway shows and plays. The room was spacious by NY standards. The breakfast room was busy and offered a wide variety of good things... including omelets, waffles, cereal, hot oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, bagels and English muffins. The staff was helpful and friendly. The only drawback was the noise when anyone closed a door. The door made a loud bang and shook the room at times.
It was also possible to hear the conversations in neighboring rooms if the people talked a bit loudly. Over all, we really enjoyed our stay. If they could do something to cushion the noisy doors, I'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room on the ninth floor was far above any traffic noise from the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I stayed in the Hampton Inn - Times Square North for 6 days in February 2012 and had a fabulous time! I went for business and had to pick a hotel on short notice, but was not disappointed at all by the hotel.

The hotel is located in midtown at 8th ave. and 51st. It is a great location and the subway is right by the hotel. You can walk to Times Square in less than 15 minutes. There is a grocery store (Food Emporium) right close by, along with a drug store. There is a great Italian restaurant only a few doors down (Reno's - lovely!). So the location cannot be beat.

The hotel itself had a free breakfast, which is a huge cost savings. There was cereal, toast, waffles, fruit, bagels, yogart, juice and milk - all breakfast must haves. It was very busy though after 8:00 in the breakfast room, so please do arrive early to get a seat. They also have free internet access, which is a huge bonus since in other hotels nearby it costs $15 per day to use that. They had a fitness centre, which I used several times, but a number of the machines were broken and out of service. They have a post office box right in the lobby, so you can mail your postcards back home.

My hotel room was on the 7th floor, and while it was facing the street, there wasn't much in the way of street noise. The room was your basic hotel room - bed, TV, arm chair, desk etc. I did get a fridge with the room, which was a big help to store snacks and drinks. The room was spotlessly clean and the maid service each day did a great job.

The front desk staff and bell man were all really great. They provided restaurant suggestions, stowed my bag for a few hours until I had to catch a flight (which was free - other hotels charge $3 per bag to store them), and got me a cab.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend this hotel. It is not a 5 star hotel, with a restaurant and a lot of fancy upgrades. But it more than served the purpose for my trip and I would go back again, if I went to NYC.

Room Tip: Pick a room on one of the higher floors, to avoid the street noise
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SassySarahToronto
Clarence, New York
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We usually stay at the Hilton New York while in NYC, but have stayed in many Hampton Inns all over the country. The Hilton New York is very expensive and really looking dated so we decided to stay here based on all the good reviews. Quite frankly, I feel as if we stayed in a different hotel than many of the reviewers. We did NOT have a wonderful experience. We arrived in New York very early in the day. I had called weeks ahead and asked if there was any possibility for early check-in, and they assured me they would do their best. We ALWAYS get early check-in at the Hilton (possibly due to the larger size of the hotel). They suggested we leave our luggage which was very convenient and check back later in the afternoon. When we returned back at 1:00 the woman at the front desk was so unbelievably nasty when I asked her if there was any possibility of checking in. I also had a question about the billing that she refused to answer. She was too busy answering the phones rather than take care of customers right in front of her. So we tried to have a seat in the unbelievably crowded small lobby and waited. We watched atleast 2 or 3 other people arrive and be given rooms immediately. When I started to get up to inquire all of a sudden the bellhop came over with a key. Strange since the billing question was still not addressed. The room was OK, but showing a little wear and tear. We had been walking around the city all day and just wanted to take a rest before we headed out. My son picked up the remote for the TV to find gum stuck to the back of it. Well, after my experience with the front desk I knew they weren't really helpful so I cleaned it myself with purell. Gross! Then my son went in to take a shower and got water all over the floor. So I used a towel to wipe it up and the towel was black from the dirty floor. I don't know how long it had been since that floor was cleaned. The bathroom has a nice vanity but it has space on either side of it where it is place on the wall. On closer inspection, the floor was filthy on the sides and around the vanity. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't already disgusted by the floor. The bedding looked fresh and clean as did the tub and toilet. I guess my mind starts wandering when I realized how dirty the bathroom floor was. Our next experience was with the breakfast. Oh boy! It was our own fault for going at 9am which is the busiest time. However, a hotel this size should have a breakfast area that can accomodate the number of guests staying there. There was a huge line and not one place to sit. There were even people sitting in the lobby eating amongst the large group of kids with luggage everywhere waiting for a bus to pick them up. There was nowhere to move in the mine field of luggage. We waited in the line and had cold sausage, burnt powdered eggs and some Fruit Loops which was all that was left. There was cereal all over the floor and not one piece of bread or a bagel or anything left just a big empty case. There was 1 waffle maker for a fairly large hotel with a huge line. I ended up taking my kids across the street to a deli and had a great breakfast of egg sandwiches for under $10. We never went back to the breakfast again. Upon check out I did fill out the survey card and one of the managers was very concerned and apologized profusely. She did try to make amends which was nice, but I still would not stay here again. My husband did finally get the billing issue taken care of after 3 attempts. With the exception of that one nasty woman at the front desk everyone else was very nice. It is also not the staff's fault that there are large groups of tours staying here, but whoever designed this hotel did not take into account that people would have to wait in the lobby for their transportation to arrive. It was also very poor planning to have such a small room for the breakfast area.

Room Tip: One plus is that it is very quite in the back of the hotel. However if you are one that likes a vie...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
JoellaCumberbatch, Director of Guest Services at Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear mommyofboys,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us as feedback allows us to improve. My sincere apologies for the experience you had with us especially in regards to the service received, the cleanliness of the room and breakfast. I can assure you that your experience was not a typical one as you can see from previous reviews from our guests as you mentioned. Once we are made aware of any dissatisfaction we work to ensure the problem is resolved or to make amends in some way immediately. One of our managers was pleased to attend to you and addressed your dissatisfaction as soon as your comment card was received in an effort to make amends however we failed. Please feel free to contact me at a time convenient to you and I will be pleased to discuss with you further. Despite the experience you had we do want to ensure that we do make amends in some way and that you would consider us as one of the best Hampton Inns. We hope that in future you would indeed consider staying with us again. Sincerely,
Joella Cumberbatch
Director of Guest Services
joella.cumberbatch@hilton.com
Bayside, New York
Reviewed 29 February 2012

everything about this hotel was great except the street has a lot of sirens that may keep you up at night. bring some earplugs.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo