“Why 4, 5 stars 1? Just 2 stars for me :(”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #193 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Why 4, 5 stars 1? Just 2 stars for me :(”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The world known hotel chains, the one in Times Square NY is not much I liked.

First, location ,location, location, that's why I did NOT like. There are many other hotels in other areas that easy to access, because of in the middle of Times Square, too crowded for blocks away in the morning to the late night, nothing is wrong with tourists but I hoped stay away from this area (the company booked this hotel, it was not my decision).

Second, too big anyway, even go to front desk, you need to go up from the street level, and then walk to guest room elevator, and elevator does not have security, meaning anybody can access to guest room levels, just complicated with weak security for $270/night hotel, don't you think ?

Third, attitude, management, I wanted to print my boarding pass for my flight on next day, so that I called to "guest assistance", I asked how can I print my boarding pass ? The operator hold my phone without saying anything and transferred to someone, and then same thing, and then the person #3 said I need to go the business center to do that, and she said I have to pay for using the BC ! I'm not staying at one of popular hotel for business people, and that's all you can do ? Again, this is not a cheap hotel, okay ? I complained for it, and this lady did transfer to the manager named Mr. Ibanez. Fortunately, this person did right thing finally, he asked me to send an email to him with the boarding pass in pdf, I did so and approximately 30 minutes later, one of employee delivered a hard copy of my boarding pass to my room :)

Finally, the room was not bad but nothing special except very nice Manhattan view from 29th floor, my room was typical Crown Plaza without refrigerator in the hot summer in NY, a nice big bed but I don't like this high bed flame, is that necessary this much high ?

Anyway, I will definitely NOT come back this hotel, there are some cheaper and better hotels in Manhattan.

Room Tip: maybe the corner rooms because of better view, mine was 29th floor, windows toward south and east...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for the candid review of your stay. We value all guest feedback. I am disappointed you did not find our location or facilities ideal for your business trip. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again. Please contact me if I can be of assistance with a future stay.

VP of Operations
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,005)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I can praise this hotel any higher. From the moment I walked in I felt right at home. The staff were fantastic. The rooms are big and roomy and the beds are to die for. I know my new home now when I return to New York.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scottitash82
Thank you for the five star review! I am so pleased to read you had a fantastic stay and our staff provided a warm welcome and great service. We all hope to welcome you again soon.

Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2012

What a warm and welcoming staff at this centrally-located hotel right on Times Square and adjacent to the theatre district!

The hotel is modern, up- to -date, spotless and convenient to so much of New York City's most exciting areas. Excellent and ressoably-priced dining right in the hotel and an abundance of restraints from gourmet to fast within a block of the hotel.

The hotel staff deserves a special mention! I've never encountered a more helpful, welcoming, warm and caring staff in a big-city hotel!

Great value, too, by NYC standards.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Nicholas S
Thank you for the kind review. I am so happy to read our team was able to make you feel right at home. We appreciate that you have many choices in New York. Thank you for choosing our hotel and please visit again soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Stayed at crowne plaza in february with my husband,it was our first time in new york and this hotel made our visit perfect.We had a room on the 43rd floor with amazing views of the hudson river to one side and times square to the other, so nice to look out at every night.The beds were so comfortable after a long day exploring new york. Central park,5th ave , empire state and many other interesting places are only a 10 to 15 minute walk away.Loved the hotel and would love to stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 365joa
Thank you for your kind review. On behalf of my team, thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Times Square. We hope to see you again soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Fantastic central location, slap-bang in Times Square, surrounded by Broadway theatres and only a few steps to where the City Sights hop on/off busses departs/ends on the Downtown tour (EmpireState, Rockefeller, 911 Memorial + Statue of Liberty) and 2 blocks from where the Uptown tour (Central Park, Haarlem, museums) departs/ends.

Once you are in your room the heat (we were there during an official heatwave) and the sounds and sirens that are NY, are completely obliterated and the room is a peaceful haven. Our 44th floor room had beautiful views of the city and the Hudson River
We shared a 2-double bed room, with our teenage daughter and although I initially thought the double bed was a bit small for my husband and I, we were very comfortable. The room by NY standards was spacious with a large flat screen TV.

We booked the concierge floor, which included breakfast and snacks later in the day, plus free entry to a well equipped gym and free wi-fi. In our opinion well worth the extra money!
The breakfasts were adequate, albeit slightly repetitive (selection of cereals and oat porridge, fresh fruit, yogurts, bagels, doughnuts, cake, selection of bread for the toaster, croissants, strictly not for the toaster as they catch fire! Honey, jams, cold meats + cheese plus tea, coffee and hot chocolate and juice) and although we did not make use of the late afternoon/early evening snacks, on the one occasion that I popped in for a cup of coffee they looked nice with nachos, snacks and some yummy looking red velvet cake - for July 4th!
Not much to complain about, housekeeping was mainly very good, our room was always spotless, we did have a few minor issues regarding slightly erratic supplies - but all quickly rectified with a phone call.
Our main problem with the Crowne Plaza was the internet. It worked perfectly for the first couple of days, but on Sunday they did an upgrade/ service or something ... (we were not informed until we phoned to ask why we could not get internet) I'm not sure whether something went unexpectedly wrong but the "couple of hours" we were told turned into no internet for nearly 3 days, and then were still unable to get our normal mail right up until the time we left. I thought it was poor that the hotel did not communicate the situation to its customers as this severely disrupted our business communications! Free wi-fi is one of my absolute criteria before I book any hotel.
Besides these few gripes I would return and highly recommend this hotel to fellow travellers - but go for the concierge option.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and get the concierge rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for the five star review! Thank you for letting your fellow travelers know what a great value our concierge level rooms are. My team and I look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can assist with a future reservation.