“Terrible Customer Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Check-in: bad experience. Despite some staff are both very friendly and professional, the very first person to check us in was too familiar, and did not inform us, for instance, about the fact that our floor was below a refurbished floor. The information about our payment plan (B/B) was not consistent with our information. In general, during our stay, the time we needed to wait at the reception was too long, either physically or by phone.

Messy and rude: Chaotic situation with phones. When we were calling from the room, our room number appeared to the switchboard under a different room number, under the name of "Mr. X". The technical issue was solved OK, but the operator did not understand the problem when we called, put an abrupt end to the call and connected me to the reception straight away without any word...
Also, a wake up call request from our part never reached us - eventually reached the wrong room (despite that the technical issue on the phone lines chaos had already been reported by us). While I appreciate the fact that the Security Officer came to check our well-doing (since we did not answer the wake-up call), her intrusion to the room was too brutal: after knocking, she did not wait after I shouted "one moment please" and directly burst into the privacy of the room. She did not listen for my explanations about the lines issue (she heard but did not understand) and following her reaction (no-belief), I had to invite her to use the room phone for her to contact the reception and get a confirmation that we did not take over the room of Mr. X! much appreciate security - but the officers should "use gloves" - we are in a 5* hotel - not in a jail station.

Security?? One night, while returning from an external event, following a lock technical failure and our request for security escort to the room - the reception has been non professional by omitting to explain our concerns to the security officer. We were asked to join the security officer at our door (that is no "escort"!). After waiting for 10 minutes with nobody coming, from my room's floor, I had to call the hotel switchboard from my cellphone, and ask for the security - to get a quick and positive output.

Breakfast - Chaotic and stressful. First, business speaking, the customer should not be the one to inform the waiters about the "Business Plan". It looks like the breakfast issue was not clear between the "sales" and the travel agent. From our faithful agent, we got a room with "bed and breakfast", as we always do. Not with a partial breakfast. Note also that the price of the breakfast was changing everyday for identical ordered items (croissants for instance).
Breakfast service: While some individuals were very friendly and polite, most were acting too fast, and did not listen (or did not reflect this into the service). The breakfast team is not properly trained to serve in a Hyatt property. A couple of dinners also confirmed the rudeness of the staff (one was astonished that we asked for selecting our bread from a plate where it was anyway offered to the customers; one ran after us because we did not leave "enough" tips etc...). That is not a 5* behavior. In general, I would define the breakfast/meal experience as stressful. Also, I do not understand why there was no buffet available, and why people had to wait in line to receive service (and a bad one).

I have been disappointed by the lack of professionalism of the staff at this property. I hope the physical refurbishment of the hotel will be accompanied by a more serious training of the staff, which I found rarely listening, often unprofessional, and sometimes rude.

My 31 July 2011 email summarizing my disappointment to the reception manager [E.C.], a very nice and professional woman when I met with her face-face, remained with no answer. In addition, my letter sent by post office to R.W. [HR Officer], at the HQ of the Hyatt Corporation, South Wacker Dr., chicago, IL - also remained unanswered.

For all the issues of guest relations/customer service, and non-answer to official mails (which did not come to ask anything, but just to report with the hope to improve future stays) - I give the worst mark I have ever given here till now.

It is a pity for New-York that visitors in the city should be hosted under such customer service conditions. It is not only a negative mark for the Hyatt properties, but unfortunately also a negative influence in the experience of the "Big Apple" visitors - may they be US citizens or foreigners.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Professor_Camel
, PR & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Professor_Camel,

We very much appreciate you taking the time to write your detailed review of your stay with us. I would like to first apologize about the unanswered correspondences you sent via email and the postal service. That is very unlikely of the Hyatt team to ignore guest feedback so I am concerned as to why you have not heard anything back. Please accept this as our formal notice that we have received and acknowledged your feedback of your July 2011 stay at Grand Hyatt New York. The service you received while at our hotel is not typical of the level of service we strive to provide. I sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced due to a mixup on our end. If you will, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com (Attn: Front Office Manager) so we may speak with you directly about your stay and address all of your points. We thank you again for the time you spent on letting us know about your stay and we hope we can restore your faith in Hyatt.

Best,
Lauren
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Marys, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt both pre- and post-renovation, and I appreciate the updated décor. The rooms are much more inviting than they were previously. However, some issues definitely detract from the hotel’s desirability. First, the internet is $12.95 for 24 hours PER DEVICE. I signed up with my iPad and then was informed that I would have to pay a separate $12.95 fee to use internet on my laptop. At $350/night for my room, I believe the internet should be included. This nickeling and diming creates a poor user experience. (Note: When I complained, the front desk did comp the second device because I was not aware of the policy, so that adds a plus on the customer service side.) Second, the water pressure is terrible. My shower would not even stay on. It turned off repeatedly mid-shower because of lack of pressure. The water in the sink came out at a trickle, and the toilet wouldn’t flush properly. Third, the reception on the TV is terrible – it’s fuzzy. I also could not check out properly in my room; after going through the entire check out process on the TV, I was informed that check out could not be completed, so I had to go to the kiosk in the lobby to check out all over again. Positives: the staff and the location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. From the bellhops to the check-in staff to the concierge/bag check, everyone was pleasant. Really nice to have in NYC. The location is very convenient, being right next to Grand Central. The restaurant was good, too, and the staff was pleasant and accommodating. Will I stay at the Grand Hyatt again? Yes, because of the staff and the location, but whether I will stay there will depend on where I need to be in NYC for my trip, especially considering the price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LisaM313
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Clean & nice furniture, everything brand-new. Very modern.
Good location, direct access to Grand Station, tube, shops etc...
Probably the #2 largest hotel in NY - so little chance to make connection with staff (automatic check in/out machines is encouraged like in the airport). No real athmostphere.
Internet not complimentary and rather expensive - outrageous for the room price

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank superbeya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Good hotel - nothing special just a very sound place to stay good location next to grand central easy for the subway. We stayed in a club room and the club lounge and patio was great, it made the whole trip a lot more enjoyable to have the facilities it provided to hand - would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Keefcon
Montréal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

we stayed 3 nights on a long week end. Enjoyed the location, just besides grand central terminal so very convenient.
Check in was easy. We found the rooms quite well appointed BUT NO INTERNET. At the rate hotels are charging this should really be included!
This give hotels one less star in my rating
The restaurant was very expensive so we never took breakfast there. They have a store that sells food and you can buy breakfast items, coffee is good

I appreciated the more modern music in the (very large) lobby, not your typicial musak

we had the chance to book while ther was a sale (I think 40% or more saving) I am not certain I would pay full price however

would recommend it (depending on rate you get)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple