“Spring Break in the Big Apple”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #136 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Quite a pleasant, clean and comfortable hotel, after all, all we did was sleep there and make coffee in the morning. Helpful staff at front desk.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Blakely New York

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I'm not an obsessive compulsive individual; however I do expect a few things to be done when I stay at a hotel. I had the gut feeling that the coffee cups weren't being washed, so I decided to put a dab of toothpaste on the bottom of the cup. They were also used. Needless to say, when we came back to the room after it was cleaned, I looked at the bottom of the cups, and the toothpaste was still there. My daughter and I were grossed out because all we could think of was how often do they do that? I called down to the manager and explained what I did. He was apologetic and offered to bring up clean cups. He also offered to clean the room more thoroughly the next day. I told him I just wanted to make sure the cups were put in the dishwasher or at least washed with soap and hot water. They didn't take the dirty cups when they dropped off the supposedly clean cups. We make coffee, and the next morning I expected to see just two clean cups left. The cleaning staff once again left the two cups with the dab of toothpaste in the room and placed them as if they had been cleaned along with the other two cups they had brought up. Again, I called the manager. He basically blew me off. I will not stay at this hotel again. What else are they pretending to clean?

27  Thank Moreland5
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights in March 2012. The hotel is perfectly located, friendly, accommodating, & nicely appointed. The rooms are large and well supplied, with very comfortable beds. Cleaning service is thorough and helpful. All inquiries were answered with a cheerful attitude. We paid $225 per night which includes a continental breakfast ($2 tip expected per person). We stayed on a lower floor because of complaints about the elevator and street noise. We had no view, but we were usually only in the room at night when getting ready for bed. I have previously stayed on the upper West side for less, but the savings in taxi and subway fares makes up for some of the cost of the room. I would not hesitate to stay again. Only two drawbacks: the free breakfast was only average and the wifi internet is spotty and painfully slow. As for breakfast, I walked to the Westway diner (9th & 44th) about 1/2 mile away on two mornings and had an excellent NYC diner experience for $7.

Room Tip: Lower floor due to slow elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bronson777
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Comfortable and cozy a small boutique hotel conveniently located in the center of Manhattan so it is east to get to anywhere from the hotel. This hotel is a quiet respite at the end of a busy city day. The elevators are a bit slow but the rooms are elegant and extremely comfortable. The rooms are small but wonderfully decorated and contain a small kitchenette type area with a sink. I have stayed here for years with my children and for us it is the perfect home away from home in a busy city like New York.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed at the Blakely Hotel New York for 5 nights. This was a birthday trip with my partner. The Hotel is ideally situated on 55th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue. Times Square and Central Park are within walking distance and the subway and hop on hop off buses are right nearby too. We stayed on the 13th floor facing the rear of the hotel, you can hear the traffic but it didn't affect our sleep. The room had a mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities, also a microwave. The room was very clean and we also had maid service everyday. The only criticism I would have is that there wasn't enough wardrobe space, only one small area for hanging! Plenty of drawer space and also a free safe, ironing board, iron and hairdryer supplied. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and recommended a fabulous restaurant which we went to during our stay. The breakfast was continental but limited choice. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel for a city break in New York.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor if possible
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple