“...pity about the elevators...”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #137 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“...pity about the elevators...”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This is really pretty picky to mention, but the elevator service in the hotel is really a bit of a problem. During our visit, only one elevator was operating most of the time. You really had to add an extra 10 minutes to any planned meeting times!

Elevators aside, The Blakely is outstanding. Spacious, comfortable rooms, well decorated and comfortably appointed; modern plumbing and bathrooms; free wifi internet access with really good bandwidth; breakfast included; wonderful Midtown location on (by Manhattan standards) a quiet street. Back in the "picky" department, the bath towels will soft and fluffy could have been a bit larger.

The staff was universally thoughtful, responsive and available. I had left my iPhone in my room when I checked out. By the time reached the ground floor and before I had missed it, housekeeping had found it, called the front desk and brought it to me!

1 Thank hct1948
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Hebrew first
Clinton, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My sister and I stayed here for one evening during a girls' trip to NYC. This is my second stay in this hotel and it was everything I remembered it from the first visit (about 2 years ago). The staff is very accommodating and very helpful with any requests or questions. We were upgraded to a suite due to a promotion. The bathroom was upscale and luxurious.

Complimentary breakfast was great. And the hotel also has free wifi.

A couple of con's, but it wasn't enough for me to demote a rating point:

Thermostat was truly controlled by the hotel, not the individual rooms. We couldn't get the temp above 68-ish, but it was warm enough.

Only one elevator was in working order, but it really didn't affect us any.

No extra blankets in the room, but I'm sure they would have brought us some if we requested.

And of course the most attractive feature about the hotel is the LOCATION! Walking distance to/from Grand Central. Couple blocks from Central Park and the great shopping on 5th Ave. We walked to dinner, a show and back to the hotel. Great overall stay!

1 Thank jennypenny12
SoCal, USA
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed here with my husband in Dec 2011. I liked the hotel for its location and cleanliness (room was small, but that's NYC). My husband wasn't as impressed as the elevators were too few and always busy. I'd stay again, but he wouldn't.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Great hotel! We didn't book to stay here, we booked to stay at The Wellington (sister hotel) but on arrival at The Wellington our room wasn't ready due to a cancelled flight. After a long flight the last thing you want to hear is that your going to have to stay at a different hotel for one night, but this turned out to be a good thing! The Wellington is a good hotel but the Blakely is GREAT! It's only a small hotel but it is very nice! The staff are very helpful and the rooms are great. I didn't want to leave and will definitely be pricing this hotel up for my next visit! It's just across the street from the Wellington so it still has the great location but is a much nicer hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AmiiG_UK
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We were upgraded to The Blakely from Wellington as they had overbooked & we got free complimentary continental breakfast. Was lovely. Staff very friendly & we booked our tours/trips with them. $89 for 2 days unlimited hop on/off day bus tour, night bus tour, top of the rock & the boat cruise. Worth every cent. Only a few blocks from central park, rockerfella center & Times Square. Rooms very nice, very comfortable bed :) Had a greats night sleep. Would highly recommend here, would definately stay again

1 Thank Nicolette150