“EXCELLENT STAY”

Ranked #135 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Belfast, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT STAY”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We were upgraded to The Blakely from Wellington as they had overbooked & we got free complimentary continental breakfast. Was lovely. Staff very friendly & we booked our tours/trips with them. $89 for 2 days unlimited hop on/off day bus tour, night bus tour, top of the rock & the boat cruise. Worth every cent. Only a few blocks from central park, rockerfella center & Times Square. Rooms very nice, very comfortable bed :) Had a greats night sleep. Would highly recommend here, would definately stay again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicolette150
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I visited NYC for the first time in late November 2011. We chose The Blakely based on location and size of rooms. The hotel exceeded our expectations on both. The hotel is in a perfect location, very close to Central Park, Times Square, Theatre district, restaurants and shopping. The staff was very attentive and the concierges made wonderful recommendations. Always be sure to ask "where NOT to go" then listen. We reserved a suite and were very satisfied with our room, was a great size for NYC. The only reason I hesitate to give it a "5" is it is an older hotel with a few items that come with age; slower elevators, bathrooms a little dated, but NOTHING that would stop me from staying here again or highly recommending to others.

Room Tip: It is midde of NYC so if light sleeper you might ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank OklahomaSherri
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Blakely between just after Christmas and the new year.

On arrival we were pleased to find the helpful concierge and hassle free check in service though were a little disappointed that our room didn't have a bath. To be honest, I'm sure that if we had said something at the time they would have switched us over but we weren't so fussed. There was a nice little minibar, microwave, fridge and coffee making facilities as well as the standard room amenities at an additional charge. We also had fresh linens and dressing gowns.

Nice points - the hotel is very lovely, the staff in the lobby are helpful and the maid service was always excellent. The housekeepers were also very friendly when you spotted them round and about the hotel. You get a free copy of the NY Times every morning which was useful and the bedroom was full of modern conveniences, i.e: easy to use air con/heating, soft pillows and TV services with lots of channels. The room also had an iPod dock radio alarm clock.

Not so nice points - The hotel hallways and lobby seem to be kept at a very high heat; not sure if this was just me however I constantly felt I was far too hot in the hallways. The lifts were as reported previously slow and clunky and not fun to spend 15 minutes a day waiting for. We took the stairs a couple of times though being on the 15th floor didn't make this fun! The staff in the restaurant at breakfast were just plain rude. I found it very disappointing that a tip voucher was provided before you were even seated and one waiter in particular was so obnoxious I was surprised he thought waiting was a good job for him. I had to ask for coffee 3 times from him and then when we were done he cleared my partners plates but ignored mine. The additions to the breakfast are also terrible overpriced. $7 for 2 eggs is not reasonable, even by NYC standards.

All in all the hotel and the hotel staff were very good, just a shame the breakfast service and the restaurant wait staff brought it down.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath tub!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travellingwellies
london
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel was fantasic, when we arrived they took are bags up to the room for us. When we where leaving the lift was not working so they came up to the room and took the bags down for s as well, the staff where very friendly and gave us information on where to visit and eat etc .
We where due to live when the hurricane was about start, they informed us that if our flight was cancelled they would do everything they could to give us accommodation or find another hotel.
The only down side which is not the hotel falut was that the restraint staff where rude and u had to Leave them a tip.
But I would defiantly come again

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank bethchampon
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I thought this was a very nice little oasis in midtown Manhattan when I stayed here 6 months ago (see my previous review). The rooms are very nice and the public areas are well kept and cozy.

I was just back for a weekend of Christmastime sight seeing and I liked the hotel even better than before. Everyone seemed to be in a friendly, good mood (guests and staff) and it made for a very, very pleasant stay. This time I was able to have breakfast at the hotel and thought it was a very good offering (continetal) for being included in the price. (On my previous stay I had to be up and out very early for work and missed it.)

There is nothing not to like about this hotel - and I was especially pleased to have been upgraded to bigger room.

Also worth noting, the nearby construction I mentioned in my first review was finished (so no potential for extra noise from that any longer) and a very nice looking rennovated theatre is just across the street now.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo