“Great Location, but not much else”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #297 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Saugerties, New York, United States
“Great Location, but not much else”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We wanted a small boutique hotel near the park for this trip to New York, and I was lured by the location of this hotel and the nice photography on the hotel website. We negotiated a Queen Deluxe room (which was supposed to have 250 sq ft.) and breakfast for about $325 per night. The lobby is small a modern, with a cozy seating area. We arrived a little early, about 1PM and went across the street to the TIme Warner center to shop for a few hours till the room was ready. Even though the staff took my cell #, we didn't get a call and returned after 4PM to find that the room still wasn't ready. After waiting a few more minutes we were able to get into our room.

My first impression was dissapointment at the size. I specificlly picked the Queen Delux for the extra space, but this room seemed more like 175 sq ft than 250. Storage space in the room was minimal and my wife and I struggled to find space to unpack our two carry-on bags. The bathroom was adequately large though, and nicely appointed with modern fixtures and black tile walls. The one window had a view of the space between two buildings.

Internet access is a pricey $17 per day, even in the lobby, so we went next door to starbucks to get our wi-fi fix. I was also disappointed in the rooftop terrace, another selling feature of the hotel for me. Turned ou that this terrace was about 90 sq ft and had only a sliver of a view toward the park. Both times I went up there to get some air, nobody was around.

My wife and I both agreed that the high points of the hotel were the doormen and the breakfast. The doormen greeted us every time we passed by and chatted us up for our plans each morning, giving advice. With the Columbus circle subway stop right across the street this location was very convenient for getting around midtown. The continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant was free for us (but normally cost $25) and included a very nice fruit selection, granola, yougurt, and juice, milk, coffee.

Overall, we felt the room was too small for the price paid, and the hotel amenities were minimal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve W
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Steve W

Thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed review and I am sorry to hear that you did not entirely enjoy your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you in a timely manner while you were waiting for your room.
I have made a note in your guest profile to ensure to give you a room with more storage space the next time you visit.
Our Rooftop bar A6 was actually closed while you were visiting but i am happy to report that we are in the process of renovating the space. Stay tuned for an opening date.

Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime in case i can be of assistance to you.

6 Columbus
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. The hotel is very modern and has all the ammenities that you need. The room size was good, actually bigger than I expected. The hotel was very clean and up to date. What really made me happy was the staff. The staff was very kind and very helpful. Even the doorman was so polite and recommended a very nice restaurant for a late night dinner. The price is not cheap, but it's worth every penny. You won't get this type of service in a budget hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear Marcin Travels

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed you stay with us.
I will most certainly share your review with our staff.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City.

Dublin
Reviewed 23 April 2012

6 Columbus is as you would expect right by Columbus Circle but not so close that you have to endure non stop traffic. I got in from a long flight and was given room keys at 3pm. As I wanted a bath and was given a room with a shower I talked to the bell hop and then reception. Within fifteen minutes I was in a room with a huge bath. The rest of my stay was a joy. Great, responsive and friendly service at a great location in midtown right by Central Park. The sushi bar in reception is very atmospheric (unusual in hotels these days) if a little pricey. Next time I'll be heading right back to Number 6. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up are quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DaveHero
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear DaveHero

Thank you so much for taking the time and for giving us your feedback. We very much appreciate your patronage and i am delighted to hear that you had a great experience at 6 Columbus. I have upodated your guest profile and going forward we know your preferences. Please let me know if there is anything else you would like me to ad to your guest profile.
I will most certainly share your kind words with our staff.

We are very much looking forward to seeing you soon again

Toronto
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Everything at this hotel just misses the mark.

Their website list square footage for each type of room, but they seem to very generous in their measurements. We checked into #39, which was supposed to be 200 sq ft, but I think 150 would have been closer to the mark (and I'd guess about 40 of that is bathroom). We ended up paying for an upgrade to #86 (even though it was on a smoking "optional" floor). #86 was listed at 300 sq. ft, but it felt like it was barely over 200.

Closet and drawer space very limited. Ended up with my suicase on the window sill.

Bathtub/shower was also really narrow. Nice toiletries, but no shower gel. Bathroom lighting too fluorescent/unnatural.

HVAC really noisy, so we turned it off most of the time (OK in spring, but wouldn't work in summer or winter).

Sound from the shower in the adjacent room also very loud.

Decor dark and gloomy.

On the plus side - service was pleasant, location it excellent.

But I wouldn't stay here again - there are lots of better options in NYC.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank smbrannan
Dear smbrannan

I am sorry to hear you did not have a good experience during your last visit.
i have addressed some of the issues with our department head to ensure no reoccurance and some of your comments that are decor & design related can unfortunately not be changed.
We do have larger rooms that would provide you with more closet space and i am more than happy to assist you the next time to find the right fit for you.

Please dont hesitate to contact me directly in case i can be of any assistance to you.

Reviewed 21 April 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed at 6 Columbus and enjoyed every minute. The room was spacious and the bathroom design was awesome. Breakfast was great and the drinks at the bar were wonderful too. The hotel staff was very accommodating when we needed early morning car service, a place to store our luggage, and even when we needed to print out some documents. Got a chance to meet the General Manager, Ralph. We hit it off chatting about triathlons and marathons- I was very impressed with his 2:58 PR in the NYC Marathon! A must stay place if you are visiting New York and definitely if you are looking to go for a run in Central Park!

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank A S
Dear A S

Thank you so much for your feedback and your knd words.
I am happy that you had a great time here at 6 Columbus and NYC.
i'll see you at the next Marathon or Triathlon start line.

kind regards