“Basic but clean and friendly. Really great staff !”
Review of Hotel Deauville

Hotel Deauville
Ranked #342 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Three rooms booked. Two were quite good, but one, described as a standard double lacked an outside view due to the window being right against another building's wall.

A blip when booking in at reception was that the receptionist took money against my credit card for each room seperately instead of taking it in one transaction, tripping off a stop on my credit card after the second input which needed a phone call to to my bank in London to resolve the matter.

Unfortunately it seemed to trip off a stop on my debit card as well which could not be used for the rest of the holiday.

Hotel should consider only taking one payment to avoid this occurance in future.

All rooms were comfortable and adequate to our requirements. We always returned to well maintained rooms and we found the staff at reception very helpful and considerate.

The hotel is a brown stone building close to Lexington & Park Avenue. It does not provide any catering. Lift/elevator is rather antiquated but this lent to the atmosphere.

Adequate catering in close proximity to hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Deauville

Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed her for three nights and loved it. It is in a brilliant area , very close to fifth avenue and The Empire State Building. We felt very comfortable walking from here all around the sights. Staff are very helpful. It is a very good base to explore the city. It has no frills, but we did not want any. We chose to eat out in the numerous coffee shops and bars. I have been to New York three times, twice staying in Big well known hotels, this hotel is much better and will give you a proper insight into a real New York way of life on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I was looking for a deal in NYC and finally found it at Hotel Deauville. I was slightly nervous before checking in but my expectations were exceeded. My sister and I stayed in an interior room with a queen bed and it was perfect. The room was simple and small but everything was clean (no bed bugs!). The window faced the building next door since it was an interior room however that was great for us because we slept soundly not hearing any of the street noise (although the AC unit was a little loud but we got used to it). The bed was also comfortable and the AC worked well which was a relief because it was very hot the weekend we were there. There was even a new flatscreen TV on the wall. The staff was very pleasant although they tend to have smoke breaks on the steps at the front doors so you are acosted with a smoky smell as you exit and enter the building. The lobby area is nice with comfortable furniture for sitting around and planning your day. A small upright piano adds character and charm. The location of this hotel is fantastic, only one block from a subway stop that will get you anywhere. As others have mentioned there are few amenities as this is more of a basic accommodation but I would not hesitate staying here again. I felt that the price I paid perfectly matched the quality of the hotel and for New York is also a great bargain.

Room Tip: Try breakfast at 'Bagel & Schmear' one block up on 28th street. Delicious fresh food at...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank matty1994
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Older hotel which is centrally located. Close to subway stop and walking distance to many sights. Bargain price for New York City. Friendly and helpful staff. Old-fashioned elevator added to ambiance of hotel. Would definitely stay here again. Best kept secret in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank wahoowa91
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This is the first time I have been disappointed with a hotel that received good reviews on Trip Advisor. I am very puzzled that this hotel got overall positive feedback. I just stayed here for four nights while in New York. I paid $219 for a suite, which is a great deal for this city. They can keep the rates low because it doesn't have amenities such as a restaurant, fitness center or business center. The location on Park and 29th is a few blocks from the train; there are lots of restaurants in the area and a Starbucks across the street.

The place is very old and has not been renovated or updated in a long time. This in itself would not have bothered me. I inspected the living room first. I am not exaggerating at all when I say that the sofa was absolutely filthy. There was dirt and stains all over it, and I had to put a blanket on it in order to feel OK sitting on it. Then I checked out the bedroom. The bed had no headboard, which I thought was odd and very cheesy (plus that makes it almost impossible to read in bed), and there was no alarm clock. I pulled back the bedspread/quilt, and that too was filthy, with a huge stain on the underside. It was also very torn. I immediately removed it from the bed. If something that dirty is on the bed, you wonder what else is dirty and what is being ignored. The sheets looked clean, which was a relief. The mattress was firm. The lighting was on the dim side. The towels were small and thin, what you'd expect to find in a Motel 6. The suites have a kitchen area along one wall with a microwave, coffee maker, mini fridge and sink.

The bedroom had a window AC, which was very loud; I had to sleep with it off in order to get any sleep. Luckily I am not a big fan of air conditioning anyway. The living room didn't have an AC, but it did have a ceiling fan. Also, because of the building's age, it has the type of radiator where the management has to send up the heat, and there didn't seem to be any way for you to control it yourself. I imagine this would be a problem in the winter, because whenever I have stayed at a place with that type of heat, it is never enough and I am always cold.

The hotel doesn't have a public computer. I had to go to the library to check my e-mail. The front desk did print out my airline boarding passes though.

On the plus side, the staff is very nice and accommodating. The bathroom sink was leaking and they sent someone up to fix it. There was a bulb missing from the bathroom and they sent one up right away.

In spite of the low price, I don't think I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo