“Three days in a clean (small) room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #213 of 464 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Three days in a clean (small) room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Really good.
It is the only both cheap and clean place I've ever found in Manhattan! Excellent location and frindly environment.
The bathroom was the only drawback, it was too small but, you know, in NYC it's cool.
I preferred the private bathroom formula that is more expensive but let you have your own privacy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank IT_Sandy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

I expected the Queen room (for $249 plus taxes per night) to be small, but hadn't quite anticipated just how small it would be - the bed (supposedly a double) was tiny and more like a sofabed, with one of the long sides resting against the wall rather than one of the shorter sides, which meant there was no head rest. The ensuite bathroom consisted of a sink in the bedroom, and a toilet and tiny shower in what was practically a cupboard. There was a small window in each of the bedroom and the "bathroom", but it was incredibly hot in the room and very noisy.
No drinks or breakfast were included in the price and the roof terrace, which had attracted us to the hotel, was closed while we were there. I wish we'd spent a bit more money and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

I thought I would just try this place, to try someplace cheap and save myself some money. Big mistake. The room was tiny, which I expected. But the one thing I cannot abide is a lack of cleanliness. I dropped off my stuff and went out. I came back very late only to find a large cockroach on the wall to greet me. Cockroaches can carry diseases like dysentery and typhoid. So I called the front desk to have someone come up and kill the disgusting thing. The guy who came up was more scared of the bug than I was. I end up stomping it with my foot because it finally ran to the floor. When I checked out the next day (because I couldn't check out in the middle of the night) they offered me $25 off a $179 bill. Big deal. I thought at least they could have split the bill, half to me, half to the cockroach. He spent more time in there than I did. I have traveled all over the world and the only other time I had cockroaches in my room was in a dumpy hotel in Oaxaca, Mexico when I was 24. I will NEVER make the mistake of going near this place again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank GoBlueTraveler
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

From the moment I arrived and checked in to standing outside waiting for SuperShuttle (45 minutes late), everyone at The Pod Hotel, 230 East 51st St. were professional, friendly, helpful, and are genuinely interested in ensuring my stay was perfect.

I call The Pod the fixie bike of hotels because it has everything you need and nothing more. Every detail of this compact hotel and their super compact rooms is well-thought and -designed. But, the extras are great! Free wi-fi throughout, including the bi-level patio and roof deck. Half-price drinks and snacks Wednesday-Saturday at happy hour. A great little snack bar. In the lobby, there's long table that has an embedded centered power strip running running the length and comfortable stools on both sides. I was ready to organize a weekend hackathon!

There's a new Pod opening soon on East 39th. Can't wait to see it. I'll definitely be back to stay in these hotels. They're the best deal in New York!

Room Tip: The corner queen rooms w/ private baths have great views in two directions.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank lksugarman
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Besides a permeating smell of feet that wont give in, the beds in single rooms are very (!) small and placed right next to the wall, so you wont be able to turn without slamming into things. Bring earplugs as it is noisy, and flip flops for communal restrooms as they are not always clean. Be aware the photos are not representative. There is no laundry service. Good luck sleeping.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo