“Good and bad...”
Review of Salisbury Hotel

Salisbury Hotel
Ranked #312 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We stayed two nights at The Salisbury last week. First the good: I was there with my 15 year old daughter and her two friends. I got a great winter rate on their website - $99 per night, an amazing rate for this part of midtown. The hotel is in a super amazing location, on 57th between 6th and 7th Aves. Just a couple of blocks from Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, theaters. And there's a subway stop at the corner of 57th and 7th. Since it was a quiet time of year they gave us a suite which was massive. By far the biggest hotel room I've every stayed in in New York. There was a bedroom with two double beds, a bathroom, a sitting room with a couch and TV and a kitchen area with fridge, microwave and a small table. And there were FOUR huge walk in closets - one for each of us! The place is dated, especially the bathroom, but it's clean and it was lovely to have so much space to spread out. Also, 57th St. is fairly quiet at night and I slept very well.

The staff aren't very warm, but they were efficient and helpful if we had any questions. And they allowed us to leave our bags for the day after we checked out on Thursday.

But that's where the trouble began. Thursday was the day of record snowfall in New York and our bus home was cancelled (don't get me started on Megabus). So we were stranded at Penn Station at 11 p.m. So I called the Salisbury, told them our situation and that we had just stayed there and asked if they had room. They said they did and it would be $250. I told them we had just spent the night there for $99. He said that is their internet rate and I might be able to get that if I went on-line. He couldn't have been listening very well because I had already told him I was stuck at Penn Station with 3 kids. I had no access to the internet. I guess he was making assumptions in this Blackberry age, but I told him I couldn't get on the internet. He shrugged with his voice and said he couldn't do anything for us. This kind of bureaucratic nonsense in that sort of situation really upset me. I guess I could have spent $250, more than twice what we'd just paid for TWO nights. But I'm a single parent and the trip had already been a splurge. I was willing to pay something close to what I'd already paid and since they had empty rooms I can't believe they wouldn't help us out. We went so far as to call a friend who checked for $99 rooms on their website but it said they weren't available. Price gouging in a bad situation is a terrible thing to do and it didn't sit well with me.

So in fairness I would say that the main part of our stay at the Salisbury was fine, but their attempt to extort money from us when we were stuck was a rotten thing to do. We ended up getting a room for $120 at a Hilton near Penn Station on 28th St. and they were incredibly nice and accomodating.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank AnnieMagee

Reviewed 3 March 2010

Saalibury hotel is quite old and the rooms dated, butlocation is great. Just a short walk to Times Square, but in the quieter end of town.Also 5 minutes walk to Central park.
Hotel charged a small fee for breakfast, which was only toast,bagels etc. Lots of small cafes etc close by, with better and cheaper options. Staff at front desk were quite helpful, but unfriendly.
Overall, a good hotel,in a good part of town, with large rooms

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pinehart
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Arrived at hotel with three friends for a womans week away, we were offered a suite instead of two rooms which we were delighted to accept it was the icing on the cake of a great stay The location was perfect for Central park,Times Square,theatres, subway and many of the main attractions.The only negatives were plastic cutlery and plates in breakfast room,and the foyer didnt give a good first impression.The rooms were spotless and although an old hotel it had character. I would certainly stay here again

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank gargunnock
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We recently stayed at the Salisbury and got a really good deal $99 per night, the Salisbury is in a really good location, the hotel staff were quite happy to help, particuarly the doormen. Some people have complained that they had to carry their bags themselves, this wasn't our experience and we were able to leave our luggage there on our final day as we had a late flight.
I have stayed in New York before and paid ALOT more for a hotel that was upper west side and more or less a glorified hostel.
The rooms in the hotel are spacious, in response to some comments however, I do have to mention that not all rooms come with fridge and coffee maker etc.. but, we wasn't expecting these so we were not concerned. There is a large closet, a huge bed and a plasma TV on the wall. The bathroom is a little dated but perfectly functional and clean (which is my priority).
I can't comment on the breakfast because I chose to eat out in the many deli's around that are just as good value. The hotel is close to many amenities; a Duane Reade, starbucks, pizzeria and many Delis (even a church!!).

There was wi-fi but at a charge, (I'm not sure how much) there was also computers in the lobby but they were quite expensive ($7 per 15 minutes). But we didn't need to use the service, also on my i-phone I was able to use the internet free in a local Irish bar, so I'm sure there are other places you could access the net for free.

My only gripe with the room was the heat, we stayed when it was -3 and I have to say that the room was really hot, even when we turned the heating right down and opened the windows all day. Due to the freezing temperture outside it become bearable, but I don't know what it would be like in summer? I stayed on the 11 floor facing 57th street and I can't say it was noisy to me (I think previously there were building works going on, but I never heard them on my stay).

Overall, I was really pleased with the hotel Salisbury, it was fantastic value for money and I would most definitely stay there again if I can convince my boyfriend to take me!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Clademc
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Rhis hotel is all about location. It was placed within easy walking distance to Central Park and most major attractions. Times Square easily walkable and a pleasant one. While the staff did n't fall over you they were pleasant and helpful. Rooms were a great size. The only fault I could find was that proper plates and cutlery in the breakfast room would have made it much nicer,

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family