“Give it a miss”

Ranked #347 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Give it a miss”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Currently travelling around the world and currently at this "hotel". Room is basic but clean & roomy. Location is excellent for Central Park & Down Town. There is no fridge, no drinking glasses (US$5 per glass from Lobby Bar as a deposit), mugs or cutlery. The bathroom is split into two rooms?. There is no tea/coffee making facility available. Service & eye contact from the staff appears to be optional so great place if you want to avoid tipping. Hotel is threatening to refurbish during 2013, might be wise to fucus on customer service during the process.

Room Tip: Have been advised all the rooms are the same so you can't upgrade, Higher level means better vie...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PNE123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Dear PNE123,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you liked the location. However it is not the only thing that satisfies our guest expectations so please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the absence of some amenities in the room. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We hope to have another chance of hosting you should your travels bring you back to New York.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Frankly Holiday Inns are hotel you go to because you know what to expect. As a regular business traveler I stay in hotels more than 100 nights per year so when I find something special I am happy to let others know about it.
If you are coming to New York on business or for pleasure it would be difficult to find a more conveniently located hotel, close to Central Park, Broadway and times Square. Subway sations and bus routes are close by. The hotel is located in a district know as Hells Kitchen , once notorious for the Irish mafia gang the Westies. Today the district is a very fashionable, multi- cultural and diverse mix of interesting residents.
This Holiday Inn must be one of the busiest in New York with a great through put of visitors from all over the world. Therefore once would expect the same level of indifferent service that one finds at airport locations. Not so at 440 W57th St. The staff are great, helpful and knowledgeable. However the not so secret ingredient is the owner..how many Holiday Inn owners have you ever met? The larger than life, handle bar moustachioed owner of this hotel , Joseph aka Joe is to be found around the hotel or at the wonderful roof top pool ( not too many in Manhattan in this hotel price range!) greeting customers by name and making a stay at this hotel a little special. Thanks Joe and all the staff for a great two stays in June and July. When I come back to New York I will go nowhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the North tower facing the pool.. very quiet.north r
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Farrocious
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I am not even rating the review because it doesn't even deserve 1 star.This is my 7th visit to New York and the first time that I have been bitten repeatedly by bed bugs.I at first didn't realize what the red marks were on my arms ,neck and chest,having thought it was a mosquito bite.Upon closer inspection ,and having caught some of the disgusting little vermin on myself ,I am under no illusion as to what they are.I have since seen that the web is full of complaints of this type about this hotel.

The general state of the hotel is poor to say the least and I find it appalling that such an entity can be allowed to service the tourism trade with this vermin on their premises.

DISGUSTED!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel until the promised refurbishment takes place and it's fumigated
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Angelo H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Angelo H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your stay. We are sincerely concerned when situations like these occur, and would like to investigate further. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional information about your stay.

Myrna M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Excllently priced, very friendly and close enought to walk to Macys, Times square etc., Clean rooms and good service

Room Tip: Pay extra for a view of the Empire state building.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Margaret f
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We booked a room here for 2 nights through a Priceline bid. I'd been hoping for a couple of other hotels, but found this Holiday Inn to be a pleasant surprise. We had a very nice room on a high floor, with a view of the outdoor pool in the hotel's other wing, and a view of the Hudson River if you craned your neck. We arrived on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, during a terrible heat wave, and it was really nice to have the outdoor pool. Our room was good size and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. The location was very good, with both buses and subways close at hand, as well as a number of nice restaurants. I especially recommend the Turkish one around the corner on 10th Ave. We chose not to pay for the expensive breakfast in the hotel. There's a great deli just steps away on the corner of 10th ave. that has all kinds of freshly-prepared items, and I believe they are open 24 hours a day. I would buy nice fruit or fruit salad, juice, bagels, etc. and bring them back to the room for us.

Because we were traveling to Brooklyn in the afternoon to get on a ship, we asked if we could have a late check out by an hour or so, and they kindly let us do so. (We could have checked out at the normal time and left our bags at the front desk, but wanted to be able to go back to the room to freshen up before departure.)

The two quibbles I have were that the TV (or the remote) were not working well, and the wi-fi access in the room was terrible to non-existent. I really needed the wi-fi, as we were about to go on a European trip and I had last minute details to take care of. The wi-fi wasn't all that much better down in the lobby, so I ended up having to pay to log on to the very expensive pay by the minute public computers they have in the lobby. A gentleman at the front desk told me that they are working on refurbishing the hotel right now, and I did see signs posted to that effect, and wi-fi is one of the high priorities. For now, I think this would be an iffy hotel for business travelers who want to work in their room or others who need good wi-fi connectivity.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms can have a nice view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple