“Decent midtown Hilton but lacks the cherry on top” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton New York Grand Central

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #301 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Helsinki, Finland
“Decent midtown Hilton but lacks the cherry on top”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We visited Hilton Manhattan East during New Year's time this year for 3 nights. We were upgraded to executive room due to hilton hhonors status. The hotel is on a decent location, a bit far from attractions and there isn't a lot going on in the neighborhood. Grand central is nearby so you can travel with relative ease around manhattan

Rooms were decent size for Manhattan, albeit a bit tight. Bathroom had relatively good amenities but cleanliness was not spot on (especially in the shower). Breakfast was decent, variety was good but quality not top-notch

Service was relatively friendly but nothing exceptional, although nothing to complain about either.

All in all, an ok stay but not the best Hilton in town

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Armadillob
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your thoughts on our property and will share all of your feedback with the entire team.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Turkish first
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I only stayed here one night (for business), but had it been a longer stay, I would have changed hotels, something I never do.

When you first enter the hotel, you'll be impressed . . . friendly people, attractive and quaint lobby area, nice bar. So all that I needed was a decent room and that's where everything fell apart. As a Hilton Gold member, I usually get at least a pretty decent room. But when I showed up (around 3:30pm), I was told they only had a queen room at the moment and that the king room I was scheduled to have would not be available for a while. No problem I said, and took the queen room. I really don't care that much about room size, particularly since this was a one-night stay and I needed to get some work done.

When I entered the room (Room 1024), I was a little surprised. Chipping paint on the ceiling, and a couple of small chips of paint had fallen to the carpeting. In my opinion, this is not something you need to bring to the hotel's attention - see the picture I'm posting and judge for yourself. This is evidence of a hotel that's stopped caring. Then, the bathroom. It was clean enough, but smelled like mildew - I assume from the shower curtain, but I didn't investigate further. I just dealt with it. I'm a little angry at myself for not leaving the hotel right then.

And yet neither of the above two issues was my greatest issue. I went out to a business meeting and dinner, returned to the hotel at about 10:30, and got ready for bed. The room was a little warm so I turned on the a/c. It worked fine. But every time it cycled off, there was a loud bang and rattling of metal, which woke me up periodically throughout the night. We're not talking about typical city noises (I live in Chicago). I'm talking about what it would sound like if someone took a metal bar and starting smashing metal pipes . . . repeatedly, and loudly. Needless to say, not a great night of sleep.

I travel occasionally to New York for work and to visit family, and I've stayed at a Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn, both near Times Square, as well as two Hiltons (one near Times Square, the other on 6th), the Doubletree Times Square and the Waldorf. All of the above would be acceptable if you're Hilton Honors and looking for a Hilton property. I can't recall which one I liked the most - the Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton were actually surprisingly nice, and I also liked the Hilton Times Square (Hilton on 6th seemed a bit dated) - but I would never return to this hotel.

Perhaps I just got a bad room - but nobody should be subject to a room like this one.

Room Tip: If you go, do not stay in Room 1024
Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank ChicagoToTheWorld
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that you experienced the problem that you did while staying with us. This is not the standard, but an exception. We are reviewing this room with the entire team to see what occured. We hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I had previously stayed in the other Hilton which is close to central park and is in a different league to this one. I got a small single room. Location is good for business meetings in midtown. Otherwise nothing great.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to read that you thought that our location was good for mid-town meetings.
Windermere, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Rooms were very good sized compared to other NYC properties I have stayed in the past. Hotel didnt have a lot to offer beyond a small lobby bar and restaurant. Rooms seemed to have been somewhat recently updated. I wanted to stay in this neighborhood and would go back again to this property.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Hilton Manahattan East hotel and NYC. We look forward to your return.
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

This hotel is cosy, friendly, clean and quiet. It is in an excellent location for exploring Manhattan, especially by public transport. The M42 bus stops directly outside the hotel and the bus links with all many bus and subway services. We never had to wait more than about 3 minutes for a bus in either direction along 42nd St. Our room was a double double on the 10th floor with plenty of space and a good sized bathroom. I can't comment on the bar or restaurant as we didn't make use of them, but there's plenty of eating places in the area. For some local colour with your breakfast, try the Townhouse Cafe, 696 2nd Ave.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 40girls
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to read your details on how our location is so good for all travelers. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit to the Hilton Manhattan East hotel. We are looking forward to your next visit to NYC and our property.