“Comfortable and clean” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #304 of 467 Hotels in New York City
TOMS RIVER
“Comfortable and clean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

About the price and size you'd expect for NYC - a lot for a little but it was comfortable and clean. Great location within walking distance of lots to do and see. First problem was being told at check in that the type of room we reserved, paid for and confirmed twice before heading into the city (smoking with a king size bed) was not available. We were offered a room with a balcony which wouldn't have been so bad had it not been 20 degrees outside. Second problem ...A loud bang approx. every 15 minutes I'm assuming from the heat - after the first 5 or 6 hours I got use to it. (Yes I'm being sarcastic) Internet was available for $15 and ran veryyyyy veryyyyy slowwwwww. Lastly - and this may sound petty to some - but we didn't get robes....

On a positive note - the bed was very comfortable. Would we stay again? Eh.....it wasn't great - it wasn't horrible - it was average....and average isn't something I'd expect from a Hilton

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IMWITHBOB
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. We make every effort to provide the requested rooms types, but sometimes we are not able to provide them. We have noted your specific needs and will make every attempt to accomodate you on your next vist to our hotel and NYC.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times since it became a Hilton in 2010 (the NY office of my company is nearby) I have always found it to be clean, comfortable with very good service each time I stay here. (Excellent, fast room service, a great cheeseburger and fries for nights when you are too tired to leave the room!)
Some rooms are on the small side so try and upgrade if you can, though since becoming an Honors Member, I've found they usually put me in a better room upon check in anyway.
Hotel is very charming (not a mega Hotel as you may see elsewhere) and has a boutique, personal feel to it. I highly recommend it.
Note, this hotel is off 2nd avenue, Midtown East is extremely quiet after business hours so you won't find many shops or activities open at night. However, it's a short walk to Grand Central and many subway lines.
I've always had a very very pleasant experience at the hotel and it has become my hotel of choice when Im in Manhattan.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoy our location and the quiet neighborhood of Tudor City that we are located in. We appreciate your regular visits to the Hilton Manhattan East.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed here for Christmas and New Year. The location is good and is walking distance of most attractions Our room was on the 12th floor and all 3 lifts were fast. The room was a bit small but the bed was really comfortable. I expected it to be noisy but it wasn't. There was coffee making facilities but we did have to ask for extra coffee as there was only enough for 2 cups. There was also a cleaners strike while we were there so maybe that's why just the bed was made but towels were not replaced and the bin not emptied. The bar and restaurant were ok but expensive. We had a beer and a glass of wine and it was $19. Over the road at MacFaddens the same drinks were $8. We had one meal in the restaurant but considering it was Christmas, not much was done in the way of a festive menu and what we did have was expensive and also you pay tax on top of the bill. We ate out after this including breakfast. There are numerous good restaurants and coffee shops all over New York. I would stay here again for the comfy bed and location but wouldn't eat here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next vist to Hilton Manhattan East and NYC.
Kyoto, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Last year in the hurricane, my friend and I stayed it there.
Caused by hurricane, water leak from roof, no towels change, no cleaning, unfortunately.

Location is good, I recommend you choose here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mitsutaka71
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel and NYC.
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Went here for 2 days with my brother who came from Houston. When I got to the hotel, he was already out and about. I was surprised to see the room only had one bed even though he had requested two doubles. So small that I could just about use the restroom and open the door at the same time...Small Small Small and it was $615 for two day stay. Even though I am an Silver Hilton Honors member, it meant nothing. They charge $15/day for Internet and forget hooking up your laptop or any other HDMI, USB, or S-Video cable device to the TV...It wont work because HiltonEast has ensured those connections have been disabled. So on to breakfast buffet the next morning. We arrived about 10am for buffet and the attendant tells us the hotel has changed the time on brkfst and will be shutting it down in 15 mins. So hurry and get your food. Needless to say, I had one plate and my brother had one plate. When I got the check, it was $66. Parking is $51/day @ the garage for the hotel...In some states, that is the cost of the hotel room. Oh, and by the way, I also ordered room service. When I called the number, no one answered, so I called the front dest and was told someone would call me right away. I had to call them both back after 20 mins. It took another 15 to actually order my food and another 30 for delivery. There is also no vending machines in this hotel, so make sure if u have rm svc, you order a soda(another joke) 10 oz for $5. They will also tell u to call the front desk to have your plate picked up bc the hallway is too small to place them out in it.
I am a former NY'er and it gets more rediculous with every visit. I now live in Connecticut.
Pros: It's in Manhattan; Free Internet in Lobby
Cons: Over-priced, not such a great location, no parking($51/day), no view, slow service, super expensive, No perks for Honors members, Tiny rooms, No ventilation in bathroom, no HDMI connections, Pay per View for Internet($15/day)

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms much easier for elevator bc elevator is tiny tiny and you may not catch one for qu...