“Still a Comfortable and Quiet Hotel, the Third Time Around”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #97 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This was our third stay in the Kitano Hotel and the excellent standards we experienced the first two times are still being met in this little jewel-box of a hotel. My husband's company booked the room for him while he visited the NY office; I was lucky enough to tag along to my hometown and pretend to be a tourist for a few days. We stayed for seven nights in a double-double premium room on the tenth floor. The room has a view of the Empire State Building out one set of windows and 38th Street on the other. There are two what I would call "full-size" beds in the room, as well as a small sofa, matching chair and coffee table. There is also a full-size wall desk with chair (this IS a business hotel after all.) The bathroom is separated from the room by a large closet, and there is a large mirror and built-in dressing table across from the closet, making washing, dressing, etc. convenient if there are two people in the room. The bathroom, which is a good size and shape for a New York bathroom, is tiled in travertine and well-lit. There is even a towel-warmer for the distinctive "Kitano Hotel" logo towels on display. A small drawer in the bathroom cabinet holds a hair dryer (no cheapie wall hair dryers here) and there will be room for some of your bathroom essentials too.

We found the beds and many pillows very comfortable; soft but not spongy. And the one thing that insured a good night's sleep in busy New York are the double glazed windows that actually open. If you want some fresh air, depending on the weather, you can open all of the windows a few inches -- we had four windows. And, once you close them, you completely shut out the sounds of the City. And New York City is a noisy city at all hours!

Now I've seen some comments regarding the smell of smoking in some rooms at the Kitano. We had room number 1008, a non-smoking room, and we never smelled smoke. But remember this: the Kitano is a Japanese hotel catering to Japanese businesspeople and Japanese businesspeople smoke! If you do smell smoke, call down to the front desk and say something. We are not Japanese but most of the staff members at the front desk are; this didn't seem to affect our stay. No, they don't fall all over you when you enter the small, but luxurious lobby area but when people do that in other places do they really mean it? It was enough that the staff answer your additional needs, like bringing an iron and ironing board or bucket of ice to the room. Everyone here is very polite and you just have to ask politely to get a proper response. If you'd like more towels or pillows, just ask. The staff and the cleaning service are very accommodating. The room comes with two robes and little slippers for guests and the bathroom is re-stocked daily with lovely soap and other toiletries. There is a refrigerator filled with drinks that you do have to pay for but why would you when you can walk a few blocks north to Grand Central (there is a Duane Reade drug store there with these items much cheaper.) You can also go east to Lexington or even Third Avenue, where there a lots of shops to choose from or go west to Fifth Avenue--there is a Pret A Manger on 38th st. where you can buy breakfast, lunch or dinner! Yes, $5 a bottle for water is expensive but what do you expect--this is New York. Just go to one of the many shopping areas I have mentioned and you can fill your room with additional supplies.

The aforementioned Grand Central Terminal is just five minutes away from the Kitano, which makes it easy to get to the subway if that is where you are headed. There are lots of taxis going by on Park Avenue right outside your door if you want a cab instead. And, if you are in town to sightsee, you can walk to many of the most popular destinations (Macys, Rockefeller Plaza, the grand shops of Fifth Avenue) if you are in a walking mood. New York is really an easy city to get around once you know the geography. And the Kitano Hotel is in Midtown so you are starting off from a good point for uptown or downtown. Plus, there are lovely buildings (apartments and single-residences) all around this Park Avenue area and it is a quiet, clean place to walk around, even at night.

I've stayed in other New York hotels when visiting but I always think of the Kitano when planning a trip to NY. If you want a quiet, comfortable, hotel that is luxurious without being ostentatious, think about the Kitano. After a long day of traipsing around the city, you'll have a plush refuge to relax in --- and get ready for another day.

Room Tip: We wanted a room that was a bit higher than the club on the Sixth Floor, was a corner room and had a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamacat
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Located just a couple of blocks from Grand Central Station, the Kitano is well situated. However, the price is too high to make up for the mediocre service and petty gouging. For half a grand per night, you'd think Internet access and in-room coffee would be included. Not so. Both are available, but for an additional cost.

I ordered room service from the limited menu that was available -- about four selctions to choose from. The meal was overpriced, the portions were less than ideal, and delivery to the room took twice as long as in most hotels where I've stayed.

On the positive side, the room was clean, and spacious and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed at the Kitano for six days, and while it is quite different from other places I've stayed in New York, it was just what I wanted this year. It has a quiet demeanor, tasteful and calm, but I found every staff person I spoke with to be friendly and helpful. Bellman Andrew in particular went well out of his way to provide help and advice, which was greatly appreciated. The room size was ample, even with two double beds, and the bathroom was quite large. There was no noise from either the street or the hall, and neither was there any smell of smoke. The sheets are spectacular; the minibar is expensive, as they always are. Park Avenue is a lovely area, and it's nice to be able to step out of the hotel without being trampled by a speeding crowd.

Room Tip: Taking out an "I Prefer" membership gets you an automatic room upgrade and free internet...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We booked on Hotwire and called ahead to ensure that our non smoking requirement could be accommodated as I have asthma. We were told this would not be a problem and I asked again on checkin and was advised we were in a non smoking room. The smell of smoke when we got off on the 14th floor was overwhelming. We called the front desk and were advised all rooms were non smoking, which doesn't make sense as they had previously advised they weren't. Upon our insistence we were advised that because we booked through Hotwire it could not be guaranteed! Seriously people let me get this straight, if I book with Hotwire I am somehow a second class citizen who deserves to have a sever asthma attack due to an allergy to cigarette smoke? We finally spoke with the manager and a room was found for us on the 9th floor, non smoking. I just don't get why they would lie and tell us a smoking room was non smoking. In the end all worked out but it left me severely ticked off to have to change rooms 11pm at night and to be lied to on top of it. I won't be booking here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mlbreen
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here April 18-23 and I found the hotel to be very nice and accomodating. Unfortunately I thought the price of the water in the room was extremely expensive even for New York prices. $5.00 a bottle was pretty steep. Also the fridge was filled with items that were all very costly and over-priced. My thinking is that somethings could have at least been complimentary since the room was so expensive. I am planning another trip to New York next year but won't be staying there. Nice place but really not worth all the money.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo