“Island of calm.f”

Ranked #110 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New Maryland, New Brunswick
“Island of calm.f”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed at the Kitano for six days, and while it is quite different from other places I've stayed in New York, it was just what I wanted this year. It has a quiet demeanor, tasteful and calm, but I found every staff person I spoke with to be friendly and helpful. Bellman Andrew in particular went well out of his way to provide help and advice, which was greatly appreciated. The room size was ample, even with two double beds, and the bathroom was quite large. There was no noise from either the street or the hall, and neither was there any smell of smoke. The sheets are spectacular; the minibar is expensive, as they always are. Park Avenue is a lovely area, and it's nice to be able to step out of the hotel without being trampled by a speeding crowd.

Room Tip: Taking out an "I Prefer" membership gets you an automatic room upgrade and free internet...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
St. John's
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We booked on Hotwire and called ahead to ensure that our non smoking requirement could be accommodated as I have asthma. We were told this would not be a problem and I asked again on checkin and was advised we were in a non smoking room. The smell of smoke when we got off on the 14th floor was overwhelming. We called the front desk and were advised all rooms were non smoking, which doesn't make sense as they had previously advised they weren't. Upon our insistence we were advised that because we booked through Hotwire it could not be guaranteed! Seriously people let me get this straight, if I book with Hotwire I am somehow a second class citizen who deserves to have a sever asthma attack due to an allergy to cigarette smoke? We finally spoke with the manager and a room was found for us on the 9th floor, non smoking. I just don't get why they would lie and tell us a smoking room was non smoking. In the end all worked out but it left me severely ticked off to have to change rooms 11pm at night and to be lied to on top of it. I won't be booking here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mlbreen
Metairie, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here April 18-23 and I found the hotel to be very nice and accomodating. Unfortunately I thought the price of the water in the room was extremely expensive even for New York prices. $5.00 a bottle was pretty steep. Also the fridge was filled with items that were all very costly and over-priced. My thinking is that somethings could have at least been complimentary since the room was so expensive. I am planning another trip to New York next year but won't be staying there. Nice place but really not worth all the money.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bann2u
Seattle
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I know it is in NY, but this is a very mediocre hotel. No one smiled. Not the bellman, not the front desk. No one seemed, in any way, happy to see a guest. The room size was normal by NY standards. The room did reek of cigarettes, even though we were told it was non smoking. The location is OK, Midtown very close to Grand Central. It was approx $400 per night. I would not stay here again. I was never given a reason to do so.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank wdh528
ClementCarey, General Manager at Kitano New York, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
I am sincerely sorry that your stay at The Kitano was disappointing. I apologize that the staff you encountered were not warm and hospitable. I am proud of the great job our employees usually perform and regret that you did not see them shine.

While we offer smoking rooms on two floors, we take great care that both these rooms and our non-smoking rooms (the great majority of the hotel) are absolutely clean. I fully understand how any off odors could ruin a hotel stay.

On your next trip to NYC, I would like to offer you a upgrade to suite accommodations at the regular room rate. If you would contact me directly, I would be glad to amend your guest profile to reflect this offer.

Clement Carey
ccarey@kitano.com
Manchester
Reviewed 27 April 2012

If you would like a " lovely place to stay" when you are in New York. "close to the buzz but in a quiet sophisticated street" then you could do a lot worse than book your holiday stay here.

Staff- Very respectful , they honoured my special room request which was very nice of them

Room:- very comfortable, tastefully decorated, clean and spacious, what more could you want

Location:- Superb near the tube ( subway) sorry ! quiet, very near Central Station.

In summary this hotel is very very good indeed .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple