“good Japanese hotel in nyc”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #117 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Boca Raton Florida
“good Japanese hotel in nyc”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

On 38th and Park Ave. Very clean classy hotel in good area. Very good service from staff. Price, not too bad for NYC.

Room Tip: Get a view of Park avenue only.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We Pricelined this hotel and got a great rate ($159 in April). Room was typically small - maybe 400 square feet or so, but comfortable, with a great view of Park Avenue. The windows (which open, unusual for hotels nowadays) really are soundproof so we heard no street noise when they were closed (we were on the 10th floor). The Kitano does not have coffee in the room, instead there's a tea maker and green tea. The bed was nice and soft, closet was large enough, and the bathroom was nicely appointed with Gilcrhest and Soames products. The only thing I didn't like - they had the weakest hair dryer I have ever used!

The Kitano is located 4 blocks south of Grand Central, just a quick walk to Times Square (or you can take the S Shuttle to the Square from Grand Central). We didn't try the restaurant or the room service so I cannot recommend them, but there's a decent little diner 1 block away on Madison. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DCDoll
PA
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I booked using Priceline and really wasn't sure what to expect. It was a beautiful hotel and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We even received a free upgrade :) I would definately stay here again. Room was quiet and right on Park Avenue so the neighborhood was very nice as well. Lots of shops and places to grab food and coffee close by. The Jazz Club was little rich for our wallets though.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn68PA
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Nothing amazing about the Kitano, I stayed a couple of weeks back after two nights at the Shoreham which was much nicer. I think the Kitano could just use a facelift... It seemed clean, and was fine, I just didn't love it.
I did order room service and the food was really good.
The rooms are a good size for NYC, it's a short walk to Grand Central Station, which I did love as my favorite coffee shop is there - Joe, the Art of Coffee.... If you are a coffee fan, it's worth the trip.
The weather was fantastic for mid March, we walked to Dos Caminos down the road and had a very good dinner - Mexican.
One thing I did not like, on arrival my bed was short sheeted with the bottom sheet not covering the last foot of the bed, I ended up having to strip the whole bed and make it over, then the next day after the room had been serviced I noticed (cos I checked) again, the sheet did not reach the bottom of the bed.... It was only by an inch or two this time, but when you climb in bed the last thing you want to feel is the scratchy mattress protector on your feet.... Annoying.
Anyway, overall I'd have to just say average...

• Stayed March 2012
Fairport, NY
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Park Avenue is gorgeous in the Spring with the tulips and magnolia in bloom along the median, and we had the perfect view from our bright and relatively spacious room at the Kitano Hotel. Mirrors, gold and glass along with a sweeping staircase in the foyer created an opulent and spacious first impression. Efficient and accommodating staff streamlined service and anticipated our every need. Within walking distance of all our destinations, the Kitano will certainly be our first choice of hotels the next time we're in NYC.

Room Tip: Park Avenue people-watching was perfect from the 4th floor on the East side.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family