“Walking in the steps of Bob Dylan.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Jones Street Guesthouse
Ranked #28 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Walking in the steps of Bob Dylan.”
Reviewed 13 May 2011

The fact that this guest house lies in the street where the cover for the album "Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" was photographed (we only discovered this after making our booking) made it our perfect location. My husband was happy to wander around the area his favourite "song and dance man" used to inhabit.

What a great buzzy neighbourhood - more restaurants than you could visit in a month, very close to 2 subway routes, (West 4th being on the express stop list - very important late at night), and a really friendly feel. You get the sense of this being a place where people love to live.

The room was large, nicely decorated and perfect for a couple. It is an old building and the owners have kept the quirky features that make it special. We stayed for 9 very comfortable nights in the parlor apartment. Evelyn could not have been more helpful and the breakfast at Doma cafe (daily $5 vouchers for each of us) set us up wonderfully for a busy day of sightseeing (or shopping). It is hard not to overdo it in NYC, especially as this was my first visit, so on a couple of days we returned to the apartment for a mid afternoon break and it really felt like going home.

We rarely used the kitchen as the food in the area is so varied and reasonably priced (we realise how expensive everyday dining in Sydney is). It was fully equipped with cooktop/stove and a refrigerator, though a microwave and more glasses would be useful. I should add that we ate at two restaurants with Michelin stars in other areas (we did spoil ourselves) and taxis home were quick, easy and cheap.

I highly recommend this guesthouse - which is really a studio apartment with benefits - to anyone after an authentic NYC experience with all the comforts of home in a great area of a great city.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BraySyd
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2011

This was my first time in New York and the location of this apartment was perfect. There are loads of fantastic places to eat and shop nearby. The Hudson river and Washington park were also nice places nearby to walk. It is near 2 subway stations and lots of popular sites were only a short ride away. The room itself was charming with lots of character. The bed was really comfortable and the shower was also excellent. There was a small kitchen with everything needed to prepare meals, although you could easily eat out most nights in this area. There was also a cleaning service that came in 5 times a week and gave us fresh towels and did our washing up, which was an added bonus. You get $5 each to spend at their cafe everyday and we often went there for coffee and a bagel. The cafe itself is like the apartment, full of character and charm. We actually got married on this trip and so it was also our honeymoon and the apartment was everything I could have wished for.

Room Tip: Recommend visiting Roccos bakery nearby.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emma144
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I recently stayed at this B&B for a week in their basement apartment. The location in the heart of the active West Village was perfect. So many restaurants, shops, clubs, subways, and attractions nearby. The apartment was great, perfect for one or two people. Very clean and well appointed. The WiFi worked great, which was important to me. Check in was easy as all I had to do was pick up my keys from the owners' nearby restaurant (Doma) and let myself in. As a part of staying in the house you get $5.00 off breakfast each day at Doma. I really enjoyed the restaurant as well. Good food, nice atmosphere. Since their bigger parlor apartment was vacant while I was there the owners' offered me a free upgrade to that apartment. I opted to stay where I was as I was very comfortable there. I thought it was a nice thing for them to do anyway. Even though the Village is a very busy place, the apartment was very quiet. I will definitely go back there again on my next trip to NYC if available. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting a real NYC live in experience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Garyhjohnson
UK
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We have just got back from a 5 Night stay in NYC. We stayed at the Jones Street Guesthouse and I just thought it was necessary to post a review to say how excellent it was.
We did a lot of research before deciding to stay here. We were looking for a real New York experience and we certainly got that. The room and building as a whole was exactly what we were after. Warm and comfortable with all the necessary kitchen equipment and really homely. Comfortable bed (no bed bugs) and very clean throughout.
Noise wasn't an issue, in fact we enjoyed the little creaks and gurgles the house seemed to make at night.
We didn't want to leave and can't wait to come back.

Thanks to Evelyn and her family.

P

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WesCAddle
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 December 2010

My second stay at this wonderful spot in the West Village. The location is perfect, public transportation, walking, taxis all convenient to anyplace in Manhattan. While the hosts are absent, they are easy to reach and remarkably accommodating. The rooms are a great size for the price, and the amenities make it a place that you never have to leave, or not until the next lucky guest arrives.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business