“My new home in NYC” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
sarasota, fl
“My new home in NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I've stayed here 3 times in the past 6 months and will return. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The rooms are good-sized and comfortable. Furniture is what you would expect if you were staying at a friend's beach or ski house, comfortable/shabby rather than matchy-matchy plastic. There are all the comforts of home, including a selection of books in each room and DVDs available from the desk, as well as a small fridge rather than a mini-bar. Nice towels, real hangers in real closets with doors. And the price is unbeatable, especially for the location a block from the Waldorf.

Room Tip: Rooms 01-02 face the courtyard and are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear TobydSarasota,

Thank you for sharing your Roger Smith experience. We are delighted to hear you are a loyal guest. Our number one goal is to provide a "home away from home" environment and Im happy we were able to succeed. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

P.S. Please contact me on your next visit and I will ensure you have the 01 room you like.

Best regards,

Marlenny Paredes
wecare@rogersmith.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed here one night, booked last minute through HotelTonight. I found it nice and convenient for the price I paid. The reception area is small and cozy and the staff were very nice and efficient. The room was pretty nice, it was clean and had a good view of Lexington Ave. The bathroom was fully stocked basket of complementary toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.) The room could use a few updates but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable so I was happy with my choice. I would stay again but I would ask for a higher floor.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and my room had a window AC unit. I'm not sure if that was typical for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed for one night on a weekend. Front desk staff was warm, accomodating and efficient.

Room Tip: Beware lower floors with window AC units. Lexington Avenue is a busy street and the street noise may...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and were upgraded to a Junior Suite with no extra charge. The rooms were extremely spacious and very comfortable. I was amazed at the space. The location was fantastic. I have recommended that my parents stay in this hotel next month and I will be back again! Good value for money

• Stayed March 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor and found the Roger Smith Hotel for a Four Star Hotel had a reasonable room rate. What is that old saying... you get what you pay for!

When I checked in I was running off to a meeting so I gave my bags to the bellman to deliver to my room. When I got back aroun 9:30 at night I finally saw the room. I had a Jr. Suite and the room was a good size, minimal electric outlets and no wireless connection. They told me that would work on that on Monday (which never happened). I have an iPad, a Smart Phone and a Kindle Fire, none of which could connect to the wireless network.

The first thing I noticed was that there are no fire sprinklers in the room (the hotel was grandfathered in, they told me and so does not need to comply). Also there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. There was however, an old and tired mattress.

In the morning I went to the restaurant for breakfast which was okay eggs coffee and croissants. On the way out I noticed that the restaurant had received a B rating from the board of health, which means that they received a negative 14 to 27 points for sanitary violations. I did not eat there again!

By the way, that rating is on a large 8x10 sign that most restaurants post proudly, theirs was conveniently hidden behind the door leading into the restaurant.

If I hadn't prepaid (won't do that again) I would have moved. I certainly won't go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kaberk
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Kaberk,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us. I’m happy you were able to take advantage of the discounted rate offered via our website. I read your below comments on your experience. The Roger Smith is a 3 star boutique hotel that does not claim to be a 4 star property and I believe you may have been confused with the review rating system with Tripadvisor which does not refer to the hotel star rating. Our Junior Suites offer a compliment of amenities at no additional charge which I hope you were able to utilize like, a small refrigerator, tea and coffee maker and a library with a selection of books to read from. I did a walk-thru of your room and counted 7 different electrical outlets, each having 2 – 4 sockets to plug in your electronics. In regards to the complimentary Wi-Fi; I looked over the shift report for that evening and found no interruptions on our network; however I did see that you made a report on the lack of sprinklers in the room which was personally addressed by our engineer who diligently offered information. Fire Sprinklers systems are installed in accordance with consensus standards developed through the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) which are not always required. Many buildings, like the Roger Smith Hotel that were built prior to modern-day standards “grandfathered” so a retrofit is not required. We do have a sprinkler system in place on all other public areas including corridors, as well as fire command stations and a trained Fire Brigade team. I’m glad you enjoyed the breakfast. We too are dissatisfied with the rating and have since implemented new routines to improve and hope for an "A" at our next inspection. In regards to the rating placement, please know that the Board of Health dictates where the rating is placed, and I do apologized if you missed it”

We are very sorry for not satisfying your expectations and ask that you give us a second opportunity at providing an enjoyable stay with the Roger Smith Hotel. Please do contact me directly for your next trip and I will be sure to look after your reservation.

Best regards,