2,479 results
All reviews yogurt free apples new york lexington avenue rooftop bar grand central station junior suite an older hotel home away from home street noise midtown hotel times square chrysler building few blocks convenient location spacious room small hotel
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor and found the Roger Smith Hotel for a Four Star Hotel had a reasonable room rate. What is that old saying... you get what you pay for!

When I checked in I was running off to a meeting so I gave my bags to the bellman to deliver to my room. When I got back aroun 9:30 at night I finally saw the room. I had a Jr. Suite and the room was a good size, minimal electric outlets and no wireless connection. They told me that would work on that on Monday (which never happened). I have an iPad, a Smart Phone and a Kindle Fire, none of which could connect to the wireless network.

The first thing I noticed was that there are no fire sprinklers in the room (the hotel was grandfathered in, they told me and so does not need to comply). Also there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. There was however, an old and tired mattress.

In the morning I went to the restaurant for breakfast which was okay eggs coffee and croissants. On the way out I noticed that the restaurant had received a B rating from the board of health, which means that they received a negative 14 to 27 points for sanitary violations. I did not eat there again!

By the way, that rating is on a large 8x10 sign that most restaurants post proudly, theirs was conveniently hidden behind the door leading into the restaurant.

If I hadn't prepaid (won't do that again) I would have moved. I certainly won't go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank kaberk
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Kaberk,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us. I’m happy you were able to take advantage of the discounted rate offered via our website. I read your below comments on your experience. The Roger Smith is a 3 star boutique hotel that does not claim to be a 4 star property and I believe you may have been confused with the review rating system with Tripadvisor which does not refer to the hotel star rating. Our Junior Suites offer a compliment of amenities at no additional charge which I hope you were able to utilize like, a small refrigerator, tea and coffee maker and a library with a selection of books to read from. I did a walk-thru of your room and counted 7 different electrical outlets, each having 2 – 4 sockets to plug in your electronics. In regards to the complimentary Wi-Fi; I looked over the shift report for that evening and found no interruptions on our network; however I did see that you made a report on the lack of sprinklers in the room which was personally addressed by our engineer who diligently offered information. Fire Sprinklers systems are installed in accordance with consensus standards developed through the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) which are not always required. Many buildings, like the Roger Smith Hotel that were built prior to modern-day standards “grandfathered” so a retrofit is not required. We do have a sprinkler system in place on all other public areas including corridors, as well as fire command stations and a trained Fire Brigade team. I’m glad you enjoyed the breakfast. We too are dissatisfied with the rating and have since implemented new routines to improve and hope for an "A" at our next inspection. In regards to the rating placement, please know that the Board of Health dictates where the rating is placed, and I do apologized if you missed it”

We are very sorry for not satisfying your expectations and ask that you give us a second opportunity at providing an enjoyable stay with the Roger Smith Hotel. Please do contact me directly for your next trip and I will be sure to look after your reservation.

Best regards,

Marlenny Paredes
wecare@rogersmith.com

Reviewed 14 March 2012

As I did not know this hotel, it was not my first option for a 4 night stay in NY but I was very happy with what I found and would stay there again.

The staff are extremely friendly and courteous. Rooms are clean and spacious (I had a walk-in closet - never before in NYC), although I think some on the higher floors have been ugraded\renovated.

The radiator in the room was making some noise on the first night - I was immediately moved to another room and given a breakfast voucher for the incovenience. I found this pretty to be pretty impressive.

The price\value point is excellent and I think tough to beat in Manhattan.

Room Tip: Higher floor, not on Lexington (more quiet).
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Roger Smith Hotel was completely surprising. Every floor and every room is different. It all looks like an ecelectic grandma was living in the building right before you checked in and she was really into art from all over the world. I mean that in a good way. I loved the charisma of this hotel that comes from the historical charm of keeping the original USPS system in the hotel and the original bath drains that you open up outside the tub!
The rooms are quite spacious for NYC and the free wifi is excellent!
I really enjoyed this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank TheRealKatieWest
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We had booked a one bedroom suite which was a bit tired looking but nice and spacious. Staff were very friendly, except there was no-one to help us in with bags when we arrived. Wifi was very patchy. Quiet for NY with windows on two sides. Restaurant only served breakfast but there were some delis nearby.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The Roger Smith Hotel, once again, provided us with outstanding service during our 4 day visit this week. I've stayed there a number of times over the last year and I find it increasingly difficult to leave. The staff at the front desk and in the lobby is always ready to great you with a friendly hello and a smile. Our room was perfect - nicely decorated with plenty of space and a very comfortable bed. The housekeeping staff does a great job keeping the rooms exceptionally clean. The location couldn't be better and the beautiful art on exhibit in the hotel each time we visit is a wonderful bonus.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business