I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor and found the Roger Smith Hotel for a Four Star Hotel had a reasonable room rate. What is that old saying... you get what you pay for!
When I checked in I was running off to a meeting so I gave my bags to the bellman to deliver to my room. When I got back aroun 9:30 at night I finally saw the room. I had a Jr. Suite and the room was a good size, minimal electric outlets and no wireless connection. They told me that would work on that on Monday (which never happened). I have an iPad, a Smart Phone and a Kindle Fire, none of which could connect to the wireless network.
The first thing I noticed was that there are no fire sprinklers in the room (the hotel was grandfathered in, they told me and so does not need to comply). Also there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. There was however, an old and tired mattress.
In the morning I went to the restaurant for breakfast which was okay eggs coffee and croissants. On the way out I noticed that the restaurant had received a B rating from the board of health, which means that they received a negative 14 to 27 points for sanitary violations. I did not eat there again!
By the way, that rating is on a large 8x10 sign that most restaurants post proudly, theirs was conveniently hidden behind the door leading into the restaurant.
If I hadn't prepaid (won't do that again) I would have moved. I certainly won't go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Classic 1930's New York skyscraper - Midtown location on east side, 3 blocks to Grand Central Station. Home away from home. People. Art. Stories. Ideas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Roger Smith Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Roger Smith
- Roger Smith Hotel New York
- Roger Smith New York City