2,482 results
All reviews yogurt free apples new york lexington avenue rooftop bar grand central station junior suite an older hotel home away from home street noise midtown hotel times square chrysler building few blocks convenient location spacious room small hotel
Reviewed 8 January 2012

+ves - good location, friendly & helpful front desk staff, comfortable beds & adequate room size.
-ves - no room service, no minibar, no kettle (a bottom of the range coffee machine provided) & only dried milk powder, decor = tatty & tired - ripped wallpaper, horrible bathroom and kitchen areas.
If you pay a fair and appropriate price then this may suit you. We paid almost £2000 for 9 nights which was too much for nothing more than a B&B without the breakfast. We could have stayed at the Warwick for the same money.
Listing says 4 stars but it isn't. It's a 3 at most.

Room Tip: I was shocked & disappointed and wouldn't want anyone else to feel the same.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. I was very impressed! The room was magnificent. I love the granite design in the bathroom and the photos in the sitting room. This has been a very comfortable place to spend the last few day.
The hotel has great character! Much of this is driven by the splendid art in the small lobby, out front, and next door.
Lastly, I would like to comment on the staff. Everyone has been so nice and polite. The woman at the front desk, when I arrived, made the hotel feel warm and inviting.
I liked the fact that it was a very short walk to Grand Central.
I will be back on my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Had a great stay, room was large and very clean. Hotel ammenidites are minimal but the room itself was lovely. Our room had two very comfortable beds, a dresser, desk, two plush chairs, a TV stand that doubled as a bookshelf and one night stand. The room itself was quite large with a closet and spacious bathroom. I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I had the recent occasion to be a guest at your fine hotel with the dates of my stay being Saturday, December 24th, 2011 thru Monday, December 26th, 2011, and upon my arrival on Saturday the 24th, I was promptly and politely greeted by guest services agent Randy Alan Ogoff who said he would be right with me as he was attending to the check-in needs of another hotel guest. I was then quickly assisted with my check-in by the on-duty security guard who was also polite and offered me a cordial greeting to your fine hotel. I was checked in and went to my room which I believe was #805.

Upon entering my room I observed a rather small television in the room and thought for a 3 star hotel, they should have flat screen televisions by now and at this time I went down to the front desk and spoke with G.S. A. Randy Alan Ogoff. I asked him if there were any other rooms available with perhaps a larger television. I then offered him my reasons for being in New York City during the Christmas Holiday. In short, my parents and sister were killed last year in a motor vehicle accident and I had no immediate family anywhere in the New England area and that my partner of 5 years and myself were here in New York City to get away and kind of enjoy but yet forget about the holiday because it is such a tragic time for me in my life. It was around the holidays that my family was killed by an off duty truck driver who was also drunk behind the wheel of his large truck. G.S.A. Ogoff handed me a room key and told me to check out a room, I believe it was #1205 to see if there was a larger television in that room. I was saddened to find that that room also had a very small television with a vhs tape player installed as well. We are clearly in the DVD era and the hotel really needs to upgrade their televisions. I promptly returned to the front desk and upon my arrival G.S.A. Ogoff handed me an envelope and said based on my family circumstances and my request for a larger television as I would be spending a good deal of time in my room for the two days that I would be a guest in your hotel, he had upgraded me to a junior suite at no additional charge for the two day stay. I was just beyond words and quickly expressed my gratitude and thanked him kindly for being such a sweet, caring and concerned about his guests employee of the hotel.

I went up to my junior suite, room # 1110 I believe and found it to be a beautiful room with a flat screen television and large enough for me and my partner to enjoy for the two day stay at the hotel. And throughout my entire stay I bumped into, said hello to and spoke with G.S.A. Randy Alan Ogoff on many occasions and always found him to be smiling, kind, caring, gentle, and willing to help me in any way possible. He went well above and beyond what one would expect from a guest services agent at any hotel, let alone The Roger Smith Hotel! He is indeed an asset to your fine hotel and I can’t say enough about this man and the wonderful way I was treated as a guest during my stay at the hotel. I truly wish all guest services agents and front desk personnel at all other hotels were as nice and caring about their guests as Randy Alan Ogoff was and is for and from what I observed all of the guests that came and went at the hotel. He was always smiling and seemed truly happy to be at work during the Christmas holiday weekend…unlike many other employees that I observed in other stores and restaurants in the city during my stay. Many clearly did not like the fact they had to work during the holidays…G.S.A. Randy Alan Ogoff was indeed the exception to the rule and I believe he is truly an asset to be appreciated as an employee of The Roger Smith Hotel.

Upon getting home from my little vacation, I could not wait to sit down and compose this letter and send it off to you at the hotel to tell you about my wonderful and pleasing experience and that I will surely be staying at your hotel in the future should I be returning to the fine city of New York in the future.

If you would like to reach me for any reason as it relates to this letter and my personal opinions and observations of Guest Services Agent Randy Alan Ogoff, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address, phone number or email address listed above. I would be happy to provide you with any and all information that you may request as it relates to my letter.

I truly enjoyed my stay at The Roger Smith Hotel because it is s very beautiful hotel, the junior suite I stayed in was gorgeous and because G.S.A. Ogoff went well above and beyond his job description and duties to see to it that I, as a guest of the hotel, enjoyed my stay and was comfortable.

Thank you in advance for your time, patience and cooperation as it relates to my letter of personal thanks and reference about the fine work ethics and skills that G.S.A. Randy Alan Ogoff possess and implements while employed at The Roger Smith Hotel. He is an asset that should never be allowed to leave!

Very Truly Yours;

Richard W. Thunberg Jr.

Room Tip: request a junior suite as they have flat screen televisions in them
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I am not one of those people that requires things to be brand-new. In fact, I was drawn to this hotel because it was funky and artsy. But, I am a person that requires good service -- and unfortunately, the Roger Smith didn't provide that during this trip. I had really high hopes because there were so many reviews commending the excellent service and friendly staff.

We arrived early and I knew we could not check in, but we went to the hotel anyway in order to drop off our luggage. I told the man at the front desk that we were early and he snidely replied "Quite". It really took me back. I explained that we were not asking to check in, just to drop off our luggage. He just sort of waved me to the bellhop and turned his back on me (although there was nobody else requiring assistance at that time).

When we came back later that evening, the check in went smoothly. Our room was comfortable and clean. The water pressure in our room was terrible though and the hair dryer did not work. We also could not figure out how to turn on the heater, so when we left the next morning, we mentioned it. When we arrived back that evening, they had turned the radiator on, and it was easily 90 degrees in our room. We had to turn on the AC to cool it down.

We went to the bar one night and were the only ones there. The bartender seemed annoyed that we had come in and made sure we knew that he was closing in 30 minutes. We just ordered our drinks and took them back upstairs.

On the plus side, the location can't be beat for the price. The rooms were a good size by NYC standards and we had a high floor room, so we did not have much street noise. The beds were comfortable. They do not have room service but you can order from a handful of restaurants that they have an arrangement with -- they just add it to your final hotel bill. We ordered Chinese food and it was delivered at lightnening speed. However, we paid a delivery fee and an automatic gratuity on top of the gratuity we gave when the food was delivered to our door. We would have been better off ordering take out and getting it ourselves.

This hotel does a great job with it's social media messaging, The social media vibe has a totally different feel than the actual vibe when you walk in the door, so I think that is a problem.
And, maybe the attitude had a lot to do with the fact that it was Christmas-time and very busy, but when you are in the hospitality industry, I don't think you can use that as an excuse. I'm sorry to say that we won't return. I had high hopes that this would be our new NYC favorite place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family