“Stolen at The Plaza” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #124 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Stolen at The Plaza”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

On my recent stay at The Plaza, on july, on my departing day, I had to move from my edwardian suite to a smaller one. That was not convenient but as i was departing and paying whole fare for a late check out, it was ok. I forgot two hangers full of clothing in my previous suite. Two hours after I moved, someone from the front desk went with me to check for my forgotten clothes. The clothes weren't there anymore. Security was callled but my clothes never appeared. They told they were going to try to find out what happened and call me as I was leaving for the airport. Nobody called me back. My clothes were stolen. I usually go to The Plaza at least three times a year, but after this episode I'm not returning.

Stayed July 2012
11 Thank Sandra T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

The Plaza IS New York.

From the moment you enter the grand lobby and reception area you are swept up in a bygone era of etiquette and glamour.

The rooms are the perfect getaway to life outside the walls of the beautiful hotel.

Service is impeccable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
West Bloomfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I missed my flight last night out of JFK and knew that i would have to spend the night in NYC. After thinking of all the possible hotels that a 19 year old could check into, the Plaza came into my mind. It had always been a dream of mine to stay there, and i knew that last night, it would come true. Within 15 minutes of arriving, I was settled into my VERY spacious room! The sheets, bathrobes, everything about it; amazing! I ordered room service twice (milkshake at night, breakfast in the morning) and both orders arrived within 15 minutes. Amazing staff, amazing hotel; I WILL come back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank plazalover
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

A while back I met up with some friends at the plaza. It seemed like a nice place until it came time to leave. On the way out, I accidentally knocked over a wet floor sign. It was probably because I was exhausted and needed sleep but the sexurity gaurd yelled at me. He cursed which upset me and things only escelated from there. At one point it looked like he was going to punch me so I raised my hands above my head and said "I don't want to fight." At thar moment he shoved me hard and kept shoving me towards the door and then down the stairs. Never have I been treated so horribly. This guy was a monster and I have never gone back to the Plaza Hotel or the Oak Room ever since. I won't let my friends go either. While I wanted to press charges at first I soon realized that I did not have the time. Beyond my horrible experience, this was just an overpriced place. Never again!

• Stayed September 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Acquiescence80
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear Acquiescence80,
On behalf of The Plaza Hotel, our sincere apologies for your experience. From what we can gather from your post, this event took place in a restaurant that at the time of the event, was not managed by the hotel but rather an outside vendor who hired their own security. Please be sure that the hotel security staff have training of the highest standards and would never treat our guests in such a manner. Should you wish to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me at feedback@theplaza.com. We hope that you will give us another chance to prove that this is not the way that we conduct business when The Oak Bar re-opens.
Atlanta Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I have stayed at the Plaza before but never had such a bad experience. When brought to our room we noticed that the hallway was super hot, more than 90 degrees. The bellman said the A/C was out on the lower floors but our room would be cool enough. But the hallway was so hot, the A/C in the room couldn't keep up. Then our TV didn't work and manager Jason Montgomery said there was nothing they could do, they wouldn't fix it or move us to a new room. When I left messages for GM Hans Hordijk and hotel manager Tracy Lowe, I received no response for days. Finally, they ended up refunding all my money. But it was really a disappointment and I would have rather paid full price and had a nice room and nice service. Refunding the money didn't really make me feel any better.

Room Tip: If you have a problem, don't waste your time with the hotel managers. Better to complain directl...