“A special experience- but needs improvement”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #97 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, B.C.
“A special experience- but needs improvement”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

It has always been a dream of mine to stay at the Plaza. I am also familiar with the excellent service offered by other Fairmont Hotels, so I was really looking forward to my stay.
The service could use some improvement- although I requested two beds in my room (as I was staying with a friend), they told me there were no rooms available with 2 beds, and that we would have to share a bed or put a cot in the room. I've seen photos on this site of rooms with two beds, and would have expected them to contact me to advise that my request was not available so as to avoid the awkardness of having to sort out sleeping arrangements on the fly!
The room was decent sized, and very opulent (esp. the bathroom). The location, obviously, can't be beat. I felt special arriving and departing during my 4 day stay, although I did feel as though staff made us feel more like tourists than guests. While the concierge was exceptionally helpful and assisted with a number of dinner reservations, every time we inquired about the use of the hotel's car (which we were told would take us anywhere in a 15-20 block radius) we were always told the car was busy, no matter how many hours ahead we asked and even when the car was sitting outside when we went to hail a taxi.
The check-out experience left me with a sour note, as I was informed that the hotel car (which was sitting outside) simply couldn't take us to our next destination (even though it was in the driving radius) because the chauffeur didn't want to scuff his trunk with our luggage! After spending what we spent for the rooms over 4 nights, room service (incl. $20 for drip coffee), and the bar tabs in the lounges and bars, I would think that the hotel's car trunk would garner less priority than me.
So now I have stayed at the Plaza- next time in NYC I will pick a 5 star that warrants the accolades.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank KVanCan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at the Plaza a few years ago, before it became part of the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and again last week (mid-April). All the rooms have been renovated by the new Fairmont management. We had a Signature room on the 5th floor. High ceiling. Well appointed. The bathroom was striking ... all with white marble and gold plated faucets, spacious and very clean.
We had a large terrace overlooking a courtyard with fountain and flowers. (very few terraces in that hotel). We ate at the Food Court - a bit loud but the food was good.
Central Park is right across the street. Very good shopping all around.
An expensive stay - I must say - but this is New York and a very nice hotel in a good location. Have to try it at least once. Do not forget Afternoon Tea..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This hotel is known for its reputation from the past. Still a very nice hotel, lots of renovation done in the past years. Rooms are nice, especially suite 1936. Furniture is French 1800 / 1850 style, very heavy. Room service was very good, you would like the demotic control in the room. It was my 3rd stay at this hotel, usually we go to the Oak Room but now closed. Your restaurant options are very limited. Hotel bad had a good band, and serving a good variety of drinks. Expensive but a must for one time stay in NY. Location not the best but good.

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to Edward type of suite, is extra is not more than 250$ go for it
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

Arranged to stay at the hotel with my son for 5 nights to explore NYC after Easter. Was prepared for the price but expected fabulous service based on previous stays at similar hotels in Asia and the Middle East. I was wrong. Room was lovely and very quiet,but service overall at the hotel was lacking.
Upon check-in I noticed numerous light bulbs out, one piece of very dirty upholstery, and the TV wouldn't work. It's not that I don't expect these things to happen in a hotel room but for this price someone should have identified and fixed these things before our check-in. Nobody came to the room to show us how things worked at check-in and the iLuv woke us up the first night with alarming loud static which probably could have been avoided if we had been given a primer on the room. There were very few doormen during our stay and nobody opened the front hotel door for either me or my son the whole time we were there. The TV problem recurred 3 times and finally when i threatened to leave they kindly upgraded us to a suite ( moving all our things expertly while we were out) and reducing the rate on our final night by 50%.
Staff in the Palm Court were mediocre, constantly and impolitely trying to remove clean place settings every time we were seated at larger tables. Food and surroundings were lovely though. Teapots don't work (they drip a lot) and this is one of my litmus test of a truly fine hotel. Do the teapots pour properly? If they don't it's a sign the hotel won't invest in a proper service or that they haven't identified the need which are both not good indications.
There was a feeling that the hotel is having a problem affording to run. The hotel was not busy while we were there and it appeared only a few rooms on the levels we were at were occupied. I think they just are not training their service staff the way I'm sure they used to (thats expensive to do).
I am glad we stayed here as the location is phenomenal and we enjoyed great geocaching in Central Park and many other sightseeing excursions which were so easy to find from the hotel. If money is no object and you won't get worked up if the service is not where it should be, then this hotel is still a good choice. But, if you expect a higher level of service to match the price I might recommend trying the Peninsula (where we've stayed in Asia many times before). Whatever you do, don't prepay for a fixed number of nights at The Plaza for a reduced rate as this negates your ability to leave or threaten to leave if you indeed are not happy.
A few other comments...staff were responsive to my request to set up an Easter egg hunt in the room at checkin for my son, and I was able to make use of the hotel car a number of times during my stay (you have to ask about this as it is a great service). These were plus points for the hotel but concierge staff were inconsistent and not reliable with their advice which surprised me.

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Charlotte H
Pickering, Ontario
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed at The Plaza for a couple of days in January. We won our trip in a radio station contest. We were completely delighted with our room. It was spacious and beautiful. The gold trimmed fixtures added to the luxurious feel of the hotel. The beds were very comfortable, and we loved the way slippers were laid out for us when Housekeeping visited for the second time of the day. We also can't say enough about the staff. They are cheerful, pleasant, and very accommodating. The lobby is beautiful, as is the restaurant in the lobby. We also ate in The Food Hall in the concourse level. My salmon was excellent! We definitely recommond this hotel and hope to stay there again one day.

Room Tip: I can't really say anything about value, as we won our stay in a contest. We feel very lucky to...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family