“Its like a Prison Camp”

Sun Bright Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Its like a Prison Camp”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I have just stayed here over the New Years Eve and I would not let my animals stay here.You will Not get any peace during the night and when I got their their was a disabled man trying to come down the stairs,they were a nightmare.I felt I was in a prison during the night and all the rooms had chicken wire above them so if anyone is snoring in another room you will hear it and if anyone is talking out loud you will not get any peace.Their is free internet access but you have to be quick to get their first as their is only one computer.The area is in Chinatown and its very condensed.The reception staff didnt give any monkeys about you and dont understand english that well.

Room Tip: Find somewere else
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank SAGAR A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I do not normally write reviews of my hotel stays but felt morally obliged in this instance. I had to book a room at short notice for my stay in New York and this was the cheapest option by far in the Manhattan area. I stayed there for 2 weeks. Any longer then I would have paid the extra to get a 'normal' hotel. Anyhow the room was on the fifth floor and there are no elevators so I recommend traveling lightly. Floors 3 and 4 are for permanent residents and it shows, they live in quite dismal conditions and almost make the guest floors look like a luxury residence.
The room itself is tiny with no ceiling other than chicken gauze/wire. No sink/mirror and only a very basic area to store your belongings...you have to be creative in order not to for the area not to get too untidy. So given the room structure and dimensions you need to bring ear plugs and an eye mask since you can hear every movement of the people on the floor. They do not turn off the lights at night , that is the reason for the eye mask .
There were 5 shower/restroom facilities on the floor and I never had to wait to get in one and there was always hot water. Bring flip flops so that you use these areas hygienically. That is all there is to this place. For the money it is well located, but if you are a light sleeper then you will have a hard time resting. It is only a place to come back to after you have spent the whole day sightseeing so it does encourage you to spend time outside of the hotel since there is nothing to do inside the place itself.
Would I go there again? Only if my back was against the wall and my options were very limited. I was in an unusual situation given the short amount of time that I had to book the flight and hotel and also the amount of time that I needed to spend in NYC. The next cheapest option in Manhattan was about 3 times as expensive, so given my circumstances I am actually quite grateful that the Sunbright hotel was there to fill an unusual requirement for me. On a 'normal' vacation for me which would last a week I would not consider it. It is for single people only not for a family. I only required a place to sleep which was in Manhattan and it served it's purpose well.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Rez K

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I am usually not very picky about hotels, which is why I originally chose the Sun Bright (mainly for its low cost in such an expensive city). I have stayed in hostels all over Central America and Asia and Europe. This, in comparison, has got to be the worst I have ever stayed in. The sheets were dirty and stained when I got to my room. The showers were infested with roaches. The dorm is literally a chicken coup, with chicken wire separating room from room. A word from experience, pay a little more and get a better hotel. This is not a place to take children or family.

Room Tip: don't book here! go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank will d
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My friend and I booked a private room. It was on the 2nd floor. We were right across from the 3 bathrooms that are for the entire floor. There was a computer area out front. There was always noise. The private room was a block of rooms in the middle which had no windows which was odd. There was no heat control and no natural light. Our mattresses were horrible. I saw in other rooms, some had real mattresses and one room had a sink. They should remove the common area from the sleeping area. So much congregatin going on. The bathroom shower stalls were always falling off the week we were there. The place is just falling apart. They should have the same quality of matteresses for all the rooms if you are paying the same money. We paid for the "better" of the rooms, but I certainly didn't see what we were getting. We kept the fan on all night and our earplugs in just so we could sleep. Bring earplugs and flip flops (for the showers). That said, teh place is a good location for catching trains and budget food. Easy walk to lower east side and soho.

Room Tip: If you can deal with street noise, get a room with a window so you have some light coming in.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank rnelson2000
Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 October 2011

The single 'room' (bunk really) I was in was on the 5th floor, but before you get there you have to pass the other floors where a lot of Chinese people are staying. Or living actually. Each floor is a big hall with beds, and each bed has wooden walls around it, so it's sorta private, but also not. Those halls resemble slave like conditions, I will never forget that view.
The 5th floor is the same concept, but given the concept it's quite nicely done. You still however are only a wooden wall away from your neighbors. On all 3 sides. There is no roof on your bunk, only chicken gauze. It's on a busy street, so I went to bed hearing my neighbors snore and woke up to the horns of New York traffic. Oh, and I skipped the showers, you share a shower with about 10 bunks, so the line was terrible. If you want a cheap stay and experience Chinatown, this is your place, but if you are looking for a hotel: look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo